WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast my first Boolit today!

Boolit Master
    Am glad you are persistent. That's kinda what it takes to run with cast bullets.

Your mold should be doing well at this point. Most of my new aluminum molds took 50 to 100 bullets before they 'settled down'.

It does look like either your alloy is off or not fluxed well, still too low a temp, or cold mold. I became addicted to using a hot plate for my molds. Once I found the correct temp to set it at, the first bullets out of the mold are good.

Temp can be different for different bullets. I have some that do best running hot (frosted bullets). Others are better at lower temps (no frosting at all). Each of my molds takes a slightly different tempo to keep getting good bullets. FWIW, this is where iron molds are better. Like Verna I learned with an iron mold. Easy peasy. They do not lose heat like Aluminum molds so the tempo is not as important. FYI, the 1 and 2 cavity Lee molds are even more difficult to keep at a consistent temp due to the small block sizes. They also seem to take longer to 'break in'.

I flux with beeswax, just because I have a lot of it, but I also put a layer of sawdust over the top of the melt. Don't know if it helps or not but it makes me feel better

Last, if you haven't done it yet, clean the molds well with something like acetone. I am one who does not do anything to the mold cavities. No smoking, no mold release. I do lube the hinge point of the sprue plate with 2 stroke oil. Just a TINY amount. If you use too much it will wick into the cavities.

Mold is too hot. That is not frosty, it's cooked.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on your start! Casting is as much art as science. Throw those back in the pot and practice your art!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Heck, I'd take some of the better ones and shoot them.

my covid response at local grocery when they said i need a mask I went over board

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123