RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series 70 colt commander slide won't lock back after last round

Banned
    Being you are buying things I suggest you buy Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 book. It will tell how to trouble shoot it and what to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Got another problem. Got a new stainless steel slide stop and safety. The new safety went in but now it locks things up. So does the new slide stop. Just won't seem to work. I can get both in but they lock everything up. At a loss for what to do next. Big Boomer
    Both the thumb and grip safety need to be fit. For now just go back to the original one.

As for the slide stop, some have an oversize pin. And if the barrel has been fitted tight, the oversize pin can cause the slide to not return to battery. In this case further fitting of the barrel is required.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Checking back in and after a complete re-read may I suggest you stop where you are. Please search someone out that really understands this platform, and not someone who claims they know them. The safety design works very well if and when fit properly, or it can be nothing more than a thumb rest. I do not want to hear another you or someone else was hurt or worse story in my life over this kind of stuff. There are not that many components in these things but they must be of the correct dimensions and angles to operate as designed. Operating with the knowledge of not correct may lead to a tragedy, please re-think this.

Boolit Master

Gtek: Got it. Will find a qualified gunsmith. Thanks everyone for the help. Big Boomer

Vendor Sponsor

With the problematic slide stop, does it seat flat against the side of the frame? The spring loaded detent pin pushes forward on the back of the slide stop, if there is a dimple there, and it's causing the pin to want to push the slide stop away from the frame ever so slightly, just enough that it might be why the slide stop seems to be not reaching in far enough to catch the magazine follower that lifts it up.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I would like to apologize if I came off sounding like "THAT GUY" earlier! Swapping the slide stop around is not really that big of a deal, but the 1911 safety is and should be treated as a big deal especially if carried condition 1. Wish I was closer and would be glad to look her over and help you out.

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. Going to get with a gunsmith. Big Boomer

Reading this thread got me remembering a somewhat embarrassing incident in my youth.

I was shooting IPSC with a 9mm CZ 75, and sometimes the slide wouldn't stay back when the gun was empty. I tried cutting a couple of coils from the main spring... no cigar. I cut a few more, still no luck.
    Then it dawned on me; I was holding the gun in a two-hand grip with my left thumb over my right, thereby blocking the slide catch from engaging the slide...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Are you running a rubber shock-buffer on your recoil spring guide? If so, get rid of the stupid thing!

The short barrel versions of the 1911 have less slide travel than the 5". The shock buffs shorten it further still, and you the slide may not be making it far enough back for the slide stop to engage. Run one step heavier recoil spring instead.

Cap'n Morgan is also on the right track. If you shoot the high thumbs grip that's fairly popular today, you've probably got a thumb on top of the slide stop. Try shooting the gun left handed to rule out that possibility.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

No shock buff. My shooting is with both thumbs on left side as learned from a 1911 instructor. Thumb not engaging or touching slide stop or safety lever when shooting. For now, just need to know how to remove new safety lever that slid right in after removing old one which came right out with a slight pull. If I could get that done, I would just put the old one back in. Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    For now, just need to know how to remove new safety lever that slid right in after removing old one which came right out with a slight pull. If I could get that done, I would just put the old one back in. Big Boomer
    Cock the hammer first. Then pull and wiggle the safety out. Note that it is usually best to state which safety it is, as there is both a thumb and a grip safety. Although the thumb safety is what holds the grip safety in.

45_Colt

Boolit Master

Thumb safety. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Thumb safety comes out with the hammer cocked and the safety positioned in the middle, neither on or off.

But I suggest taking the whole thing to the gunsmith, he’ll figure it out.

Boolit Master

JimB..: Those are my plans.

learned long ago when trouble shooting anything change only 1 thing at a time if that problem is fixed then move on otherwise you never know what or why it may have worked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12