RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you choose.

Boolit Master

7X57...if you are lucky enough to find one

you could also get a 7MM Remington Mag which can be loaded down to match 7x57 velocities
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by D.Bullets View Post
    I am curious as to my next rifle for Deer I have my elk/moose gun
    and want one for Deer and smaller (for spouse). I would like your suggestions.
    Criteria is…
    1. flattest shooting
    2. Have Good Range
    3. Hold Bullet Stabilization
    4. Lead Cast Bullets
    5. Must be Scoped
    6. Recoil / more for my spouse
    Thanks everyone Good Suggestions, and good points. Below a .30 cal. D Verna is correct. Lead Cast just give up a ridiculous amount of performance. So with that said I am looking at 3 choices.
    1. 30-30
    2. 308 Win
    3. I was hoping this was do-able 338-08. Or is this a bad Idea? Never mind its a bad idea for her (Spouse) #2 (308 Win) it is

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Hunting Moose with a .243 would seem like a spurious adventure to me, but okay whatever.
    The man said he already had a moose/elk gun.

Boolit Grand Master

While the various calibers have gotten discussed well one thing barely touched on was the actual rifle. Fit and weight are a big part of felt recoil. Length of pull, cheek piece height balance and thickness of the butt stock will all affect the felt recoil. Weight is the other that will make a big difference in felt recoil. If your hunting from a blind consider her rifle in the 10 lb range much easier recoil than a 7 lb rifle

Quote Originally Posted by D.Bullets View Post
    Thanks everyone Good Suggestions, and good points. Below a .30 cal. D Verna is correct. Lead Cast just give up a ridiculous amount of performance. So with that said I am looking at 3 choices.
    1. 30-30
    2. 308 Win
    3. I was hoping this was do-able 338-08. Or is this a bad Idea? Never mind its a bad idea for her (Spouse) #2 (308 Win) it is
    338-08 is not a particularly bad choice, but that is your call.
    It is not a wildcat, it is a 338 Federal now. Std reamers and factory ammo (if anybody shoots that...).

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    338-08 is not a particularly bad choice, but that is your call.
    It is not a wildcat, it is a 338 Federal now. Std reamers and factory ammo (if anybody shoots that...).
    338 Federal, I did not know that. I still think she will be happier with the 308s lighter bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    My hunting rifles are .308's and full power loads with 150 gr+ bullets are going to be more than most women want to tolerate. JMO.

I am 72 and recoil does bother me so I am biased. I have looked at getting 125-130 gr bullets to keep velocity up and still have a 300 yard practical range.

Here is a link on reduced loads that may be of interest:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sit...oad%20data.pdf

H4895 is a good powder to work with in this caliber as it will allow you to go from 60% to full power safely. Not all powders work well or safely at reduced loads.

If you decide to shoot cast in the .308. "The Load" of 12-13 gr of Red Dot (or Promo) is a good place to start and should give you about 1500 fps with 150 gr cast bullets in a 22" barrel. It will be a very pleasant load for your wife to start with. Just my opinion, but in the 1500 fps range you might be able to get good performance without needing a gas check. Like I said, I am not a fan of "plinking" with CF calibers as there are less expensive ways to get trigger time.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    7mm/08 all day, and ditto on everything d verna said.
    I concur, the 7mm-08 or the 7x57, would be my choice. It has a decent bore diameter and adequate energy and mild recoil.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

6.5 Creed-more or .243 based on availability.
    As far as new guns go.
    If the 6.8 SPC were available in a lightweight bolt action I’d recommend that.
    The .308 is a great one, but I’d put a good recoil pad on it for sure for a lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would probably go with one of the 6.5s loaded to what ever your wife can handle. The 6.5x55 has proven to be effective for a long time. It fits all you're looking for about as good as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My hunting rifles are .308's and full power loads with 150 gr+ bullets are going to be more than most women want to tolerate. JMO.

I am 72 and recoil does bother me so I am biased. I have looked at getting 125-130 gr bullets to keep velocity up and still have a 300 yard practical range.

Here is a link on reduced loads that may be of interest:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sit...oad%20data.pdf

H4895 is a good powder to work with in this caliber as it will allow you to go from 60% to full power safely. Not all powders work well or safely at reduced loads.

If you decide to shoot cast in the .308. "The Load" of 12-13 gr of Red Dot (or Promo) is a good place to start and should give you about 1500 fps with 150 gr cast bullets in a 22" barrel. It will be a very pleasant load for your wife to start with. Just my opinion, but in the 1500 fps range you might be able to get good performance without needing a gas check. Like I said, I am not a fan of "plinking" with CF calibers as there are less expensive ways to get trigger time.
    Thanks ..Ya I was thinking the 125 / 130 grain for her in cast @ 2350 fps that should be mild.

Boolit Grand Master
    .308 is never a bad choice. It's the only thing I took to Africa and everything died with one shot. Load it up or down and brass is everywhere. I just love the 7 x 57 & its bigger brother 7mm-08. Brass is always a consideration when it comes time to feed whatever you decide on. A sleeper in many circles is the .270 Win and that is an even toss up with the .308. Have to consider what platform you have available for the given cartridge you choose, and then if you can find it in that chambering. good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

338 for elk/moose and hands down a 7X57 for everything else.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

+ on the 6.5x55, a far more versatile cartridge. If you want a standard bolt face a 260 which will out perform the 6.5 CM or the 308 either one, hands down, no contest, except in a gun writers wildest marketing driven dreams.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Well you have many suggestions. I’m in the camp that recommends 243 or 6.5 CM. Kiddo can hit a 5mm bullseye with ours, before we lost them in a boating accident, at 200 yards.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Mold

I've seen several western mule deer fall to a 6mm rem. and 100 gr. factory loads. 300 yards and closer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12