Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halibut Season Whats Your Load??

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hedgehog.jpeg 
Views:	267 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	314809

Hedgehog?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Gentlemen for all the responses that explain the use of firearms in subduing this fish. I suppose if I were a fishing guide a bit of showmanship, gunplay and protection for my clients and boat makes using a sidearm, or long gun, worthwhile. Makes memories for the Non Resident tourist and quickens the process to get back to the task at hand, catching more fish. Following up with a shot on a wounded live mammal that can strike with hoof or claw isn't even something to question. All the more when confined on a smallish sea going vessel to keep from being slapped senseless or overboard. I learn something everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I'm a north-easter and was equally ignorant re halibut. A colleague went on an Alaskan fish trip, and brought me some back. Without a doubt, to my tastebuds, the MOST delcious deafood I ever had the privilege to eat! In the East, flat fish, generally with eyes on one side, are called flounders. Similarly, halibut are flat fish -- also bottom dwellers -- are native to the Pacific. A listing writes: "About the Species: Pacific halibut lives on ocean floor. Pacific halibut is the largest species of flatfish. It is native to the North Pacific Ocean and it is fished by commercial, recreational, and subsistence fishermen. Huge Pacific halibut, sometimes called "barn doors," can attain a length of more than 8 feet and a width of more than 5 feet. Halibut are born swimming like salmon, with eyes on either side of their head. As they grow (by the time they are 6 months old), one eye migrates to the right side and the young halibut begin swimming sideways, with both eyes on the top of their bodies. Attachment 314798Their large size and delectable meat make them a popular and prized target for both sport and commercial fishermen."
    My colleague, Tom, voiced his surprise as charter captain pulled out a S&W .45 Colt revolver to dispatch as the first halibut -- in the five foot length range -- was boated. Captain yelled for all clients to stand clear, voicing that a halibut can very easily and readily kill a man! Their "flopping" is not to be taken lightly!
    I am sooooooooo envious of any who reside such that they may fish for them! Again, by far the most delicious seafood I have ever had the pleasure to consume. As a side note, too, I had never ever seen fish flesh as pure white as that which was gifted to me.
    As a kid, we'd go out in Atlantic off New York's Long Island for flounder... a four-pounder was a "trophy". Hence, that both eyes migrate to one side and fish lives near bottom are perhaps the only two things they have in common....
    geo
    My mother, rest her soul, committed many crimes against innocent seafood. She knew one way to cook fish; dredge it in flour then fry it to leather in a cast iron skillet. I was a grown man before I discovered that fish could taste good.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Sounds like fun! I'd use a gun cause I like guns.

Boolit Grand Master

VT still has a rifle season for walleye.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Ya gotta love the combination of fishing and shooting! That’s some big fish! Felt some catfish while “stump fishin” that a bang stick could have been more effective than sticking an arm down the mouth to bring ‘‘em out.

If you're liable for injury to clients on board your boat then putting down a big fish makes a lot of sense.

Boolit Master
    I prefer not to carry a valuable firearm in my kayak nor do I want any halibut over 30# in my lap. I carry a club to subdue any halibut over 15# and a sharp knife to cut off any halibut over 50#. Just last week an angler fishing nearshore in 55' of water along the Olympic Peninsula near where I fish landed a 134#. The average halibut here on the southern end of Alaska halibut range is actually about 15# which is perfect eating size. A couple years back a guy in a kayak near Neah Bay hooked a 200+ but needed nearby anglers in a much bigger boat to land it. Most of the charter operators I know prefer a 357 and I occasionally supply them with CB's.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 06-12-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I lived in AK for 32 years and did catch a few halibut ranging from about 10 lbs to 65 lbs. I never did shoot one but did see a couple shot. I don't remember what caliber was used but most anything of 38 spl or larger would work fine. I did see one in the back of an 8' pickup bed that took up almost the full length of the bed. I know I would not want to be on the same deck with a live halibut of that size.

Boolit Buddy
    Fished out of Homer on Monday. We had 7 people fishing, the Capt and a mate. Rain, rough seas and cold for a GA boy. We all limited out on halibut and rock fish. My son and one other guy each had a bonus Codfish. We had several halibut between 28 and 31 inches.

Oh, we had an all girl crew...the Captain was likely under 35 and the mate told me she was 31. I would have sworn she might be 20 years old.

Do a search for the Irish Mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I have lived in Alaska for 35 years. Catching halibut really is a blast. Fishing in as much as 300 feet of water you never know what you might drag up. Fish grow to hundreds of pounds. A hundred pound halibut thrashing on the deck can break your leg. For many years I never used a gun. The fish was brought up, harpooned, which sort of kind of bleeds em, then the fish was brought to the side of the boat, beat severely then the gills cut. Harpooning connects the fish to a 12" bouy via a length of rope. A hundred pound fish will pull that big bobber down 25'. I had a buddy give me the .410 snake charmer saying if I can fix it I can have it. I fixed it and thought I'd give it a try. Got the fish up harpooned it and one shot behind the head and done. No thrashing no leaning over the rail beating the fish just done. I'm sure some guides shoot fish to impress tourists. I guided for 6 years and did not use a gun then but looking back wish I'd had one.
    My boss fished the Queen Charlottes [oh sorry Haida Gwaii ] for years and always had a 410 using slugs to dispatch a large halibut .I made a harpoon but unfortunately haven't caught one large enough to warrant using it. He got a stainless snake charmer thinking it would be good for corrosion but ended up giving it to me as it would misfire. Has a very sloppy trigger and wimpy hammer spring. Curious to know what the problem with yours was ?

Boolit Master
    I always preferred a .38. When you're on the open water, a higher pressure round sure is an ear-buster, so a lower pressure round helps.

Also, beating on a huge halibut with a club to try to stun it before bringing it into the boat is almost as dangerous as it thrashing around on the deck. People also forget just how cold the water is up here, even in the summer. If you go into the water without a life preserver, it's not just an embarrassing moment, you're in serious trouble.

If I can stand off a few feet and shoot the halibut first, you bet I'll go that route. It has nothing at all to do with showing off.

Boolit Master
    Fished a lot in my days, both sport and commercial. I prefer something akin to a night stick or billy club for dispatching fish.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting thread.
    Don Verna

Muskie guys in Michigan carry a "thumper". I turned one for a buddy's son out of what he called ironwood, he gave me this 30" piece of wood that his son had gotten in the UP. When I trimmed the ends to mount it between centers on the lathe, it looked like tightly wound canvas, the growth rings were so tight.

I think it would put down most everything smaller than "big game".

His kid was happy, no more fish thrashing about in the boat.

Name:	ironwood.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	315411

That's about 1/2"x 3/4". Tight growth rings.
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-26-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Lived in Alaska for 28 years. I only shot one halibut. It was a bit over 100 lbs caught from a sailboat by a ten year-old boy. His dad aasked if anyone had a gun and I did. No one's legs got broken after that. They put the carcass in a 10 foot inflatable boat and it covered nearly all the floor.

I also knew a few people who had salt water sport fishing boats. Some had booms and winches installed for winching aboard big halibut. A few had 'Bang Sticks' that consisted of a piece of pipe with a sincgle shot .410 shotgun about six inches long. They had a fixied firing pin and would fire if you jammed the muxxle onto the head of a halibut. I aleays thought the were too dangerous to have around.

When the snake charmer came on the market some people called it the halibut charmer.

I have eaten a lot of halibut. While it is very good I prefer either rockfish or cod.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Never used a gun to subdue a fish, but have used a .357mag to subdue an alligator.
    This thread reminded me I need to apply for my gator permit this month.

I’ve had walleye, cod, flounder (north eastern fluke), and Halibut.
    I vote grilled (blackened in S.E. terms), and I vote Halibut.
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 07-02-2023 at 09:59 PM.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Muskie guys in Michigan carry a "thumper". I turned one for a buddy's son out of what he called ironwood, he gave me this 30" piece of wood that his son had gotten in the UP. When I trimmed the ends to mount it between centers on the lathe, it looked like tightly wound canvas, the growth rings were so tight.

I think it would put down most everything smaller than "big game".

His kid was happy, no more fish thrashing about in the boat.

Name:	ironwood.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	315411

That's about 1/2"x 3/4". Tight growth rings.
    Iron wood does grow slow. My father and I used to cut dead ones very happily for firewood. Burns long and hot.
    Twisted grain, we didn't cut ones that had to be split. Good luck w/ that.
    At one time I thought I wanted to have a gun stock made of one if I could get a piece large enough.
    There are different varieties of ironwood, and if I remember correctly someone told me black ironwood used to be used as ribs in English Naval sailing vessels. Black ironwood is dense enough that it does not float when dry. It will sink in water.

Boolit Master

Always wanted to go to Alaska and catch a big halibut. Realistically I can no longer handle something that big anymore. Saw a picture of one caught with rod and reel, a 375 lb’er. Think it was a IGFA record.
    Now a former work associate that fished the Western Hemisphere extensively told me pulling up a 100 lb halibut from 200 feet was comparable to reeling up a tractor tire, not a lot of fight. I’m not sure about that. My experiences with bringing in flat bodied species like triggerfish, permit and pompano would seem to indicate otherwise. Their flat bodies have a lot of leverage for their weight.
    Halibut are both delicious and expensive. As a RC surviving Lent in the 50’s we had halibut steaks frequently, so I’m guessing they were both plentiful and reasonably priced back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12