Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: sizing question

Boolit Man

sizing question

apologize if this has been answered but can you guys advise- when placing a cast boolit into the sizer is the point of the projectile facing down(so it comes out first) or facing up(so it comes out last)? Maybe it doesn't matter?
    Thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    On a push through sizer I put it in point first.

Try both and see what works best for you ?

When using a push through sizer, I run them through nose first.

Boolit Master
    You generally push on the base.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on the system you are using. The in and out sizers-- Lyman, RCBS and others usually the base goes in first, gets pushed down and back up. The push through type Star and Lee go nose first on a one way trip.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have my press mounted upside down. That way I just put the bullet, nose first, into the die and don't have to worry about getting it all centered on the little ram.

drops down a tube into a plastic cat treat container with a soft cloth to cushion the fall

I find this is much easier on my mental state and I can do a bunch in a short period of time
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Man
    the reason i asked-when i ordered a lbt mold a few years back I spoke to veral and he seemed to be saying to put the boolit in base first (the top would be pushed through the sizer last). I wasn't real clear on the why and have tried it both ways. It makes sense to me to do it as you guys suggest if for no other reason that if there is any deformity induced (small chance i would guess) it would affect the base and not the nose.
    In any case, thank you for all your responses

Boolit Buddy
    For accuracy the base is more important than the nose

Boolit Grand Master

I believe most will go nose first. Won't a base first require a nose punch? A punch fitting the shape of the bullet nose to keep the bullet centered and not damage the nose?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sv44 View Post
    the reason i asked-when i ordered a lbt mold a few years back I spoke to veral and he seemed to be saying to put the boolit in base first (the top would be pushed through the sizer last). I wasn't real clear on the why and have tried it both ways. It makes sense to me to do it as you guys suggest if for no other reason that if there is any deformity induced (small chance i would guess) it would affect the base and not the nose.
    You sound like you are using a sizer with sizing dies like a Lyman 450, in which case you do put the base of the bullet in and the top of the bullet gets sized last. With a push through sizer like the LEE push through, you place the bullet base on a ram and push the nose of the bullet into the size die first and the base gets sized last.

Quote Originally Posted by mk42gunner View Post
    depends on the system you are using. The in and out sizers-- lyman, rcbs and others usually the base goes in first, gets pushed down and back up. The push through type star and lee go nose first on a one way trip.

Robert
    ^^this^^
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by sv44 View Post
    As noted, depends on your sizing method. I have a Star, you could go nose or base, just depends on bullet bearing length for lube. If sizing coated, nose first. If you have a Lyman, RCBS or Saeco, base first with a fitted nose seating punch. Simple method is a cheap Lee C press inverted on the edge of your bench. Drop the bullets in nose first.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol