RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety issues with oven treating?

Safety issues with oven treating?

Probably a dumb question - but I will be attempting to heat-treat cast bullets in the oven for the first time. Previously, in a dedicated, rimmed cookie sheet, I merely dried them off at 150F for 30-45 minutes. I cannot see why there'd be a food-safety issue with heating them to 420F, again, in a dedicated tray, but then that flies in the face of every food-safety alarm I can imagine.

Thoughts? Just a dumb idea to use any food-purposed oven?
    -Paul

I've always used a dedicated oven. I found a cheap toaster oven at a garage sale for 2 bucks.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thoughts? Just a dumb idea to use any food-purposed oven?
    It's OK if you're single.

If not, the Mrs. will have your head on a stick if she catches you.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It's OK if you're single.

If not, the Mrs. will have your head on a stick if she catches you.
    I know I caught an earful when she went into the kitchen and saw the oven full of brass. I use a cheap WalMart toaster oven. The temp was off so I put a thermometer in it and marked with a sharpi. I don't really see off gassing of lead at that temp to be a problem but a cheap toaster oven would be my choice.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

If you have the space, spend the $15.00 to $20.00 for a thrift store/yard sale toaster oven. #1, It will keep peace in the family and #2, You can use it to powder coat with as well.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Yeah, OK lads, thanks for the nod to reality. I do prefer keeping my place ahead of our lab Murphy in terms of lodgings. I'd heard of pretty wild temp swings with the toaster oven method. While I've built several pid-controlled units for several things, just don't want this one to be that involved. Any issues you guys foresee or have dealt with, in terms of the toast oven method?
    -Paul

Off-gassing of lead ? No.
    Off-gassing of wife ?

(remember: Truth is no defense)

Lead will kill you, but only in bullet form, at high speed.

I use oven to heat treat. I started casting with a lead pot on the kitchen stove . Perfect place with a fan vent over head.
    Till 1 day a drop of hot lead made a hole in the new counter top. Wife not happy.
    This is about 50 years ago.

Hole still there, wife too. . Smaller then a dime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230605_073411.jpg  

Boolit Master
    OOPS! That is how limits get initiated on what's allowed in the house!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I know I caught an earful when she went into the kitchen and saw the oven full of brass. .
    I got away with that,,,,,,,, right up until the 2nd stow away-- live .45ACP cooked off in the oven.
    Since then, all reloading activities have been permanently banned from the kitchen.

More for convenience than concerns about heat treat- I have a office swivel chair for casting.
    Wearing welding gloves, I can cut & catch the sprue to ease it back in the pot.
    I rotate as I cut the sprue and drop the boolits out and into a 5 gal. bucket of water about 80% full behind me from the pot.
    I have a old towel on the bottom and even .45-405s don't ding each other.

I figure it gets me to about the same place as heating them in a oven and then dumping them in water.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

In my teens I cast sinkers on Ma's kitchen stove, when she wasn't home. Now this was waay before lead poisoning scare and I just cleaned up using normal kitchen cleanser. I powder coat with a toaster oven of unknown age and for all my purposes the analog temperature control is close enough for all my needs (I often pan lube in the oven too). I guess if I were cooking a roast close temps might be needed but +/- 10-20 degrees make very little (no) difference for my use...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Winter time and Dad needed to spray paint something, but spray cans are to cold to spray. His idea, warm them up in the oven. I guess he got distracted and left them in too long because... LOUD BANG, and the inside of the oven (electric fortunately) was now painted red with a large dent in one side. If it had been a gas oven that bang might have been a good bit louder. Did mom get a new oven? Heck no, that one still works. He just cleaned it up a little. I guess he didn't really learn the lesson because at a later date he tried drying some empty shotgun hulls in a casserole dish for reloading... OOPS, temps too high and the plastic hulls melted into a
    perfect shotshell casserole and a ruined dish. I think mom ot a new oven after that one.

Boolit Master
    Used to dry brass all the time in the kitchen oven. Cleaned them in boiling water on the stove.

Never did lead in there. Just didn't want the issue of spilled or splattered.

If you want a real war at home, try taking the new Kitchen Aid mixer to work to use in the shop

PS the cheap toaster ovens do fine as long as you measure the temp with a good thermometer.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

You shouldnt handle lead bullets & food so separate oven for me. There are good cheap toaster ovens or garage sale a full size if you have room.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Thanks guys, indeed I did go with a separate toaster oven. Appreciate the dose of sanity.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    huntinlever: getting the toaster oven was a good move. Now, not only are you safe from a domestic beating should there be any bullet related mishaps, and need not to worry about those cinnamon rolls giving you lead poisoning, but as an added benefit you now have the facilities to do powder coating as well as heat treating.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    huntinlever: getting the toaster oven was a good move. Now, not only are you safe from a domestic beating should there be any bullet related mishaps, and need not to worry about those cinnamon rolls giving you lead poisoning, but as an added benefit you now have the facilities to do powder coating as well as heat treating.
    Lol. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twivg7GkYts

-want to avoid if possible.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Last time I checked, lead was NOT plutonium, nor chlorine gas. In it's solid state, its not "transmitting" anything bad. In its liquid state, at the temperatures we cast it at, it's a LONG way from boiling into vapor, and likewise, having a hard time transmitting anything bad.

You're wisely using a dedicated transport tray, and deliberately avoiding taking the lead to the liquid state. Yes, the stuff has toxic properties, but then so does your Teflon-coated bakeware if you get it too hot. Just don't pick your nose or lick your palms while in process.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Last time I checked, lead was NOT plutonium, nor chlorine gas. In it's solid state, its not "transmitting" anything bad. In its liquid state, at the temperatures we cast it at, it's a LONG way from boiling into vapor, and likewise, having a hard time transmitting anything bad.

You're wisely using a dedicated transport tray, and deliberately avoiding taking the lead to the liquid state. Yes, the stuff has toxic properties, but then so does your Teflon-coated bakeware if you get it too hot. Just don't pick your nose or lick your palms while in process.
    Thanks for this. To be honest I couldn't see any issue either, but freely admit there are great holes in my understanding here so deign to you guys. As a former chef, it just raises all kinds of gut-feeling alarms, whether well-founded or not.

Most importantly, my family is very leery, which is enough for me, joking about "doghouse banishment" aside. I found that even in this small toaster tray, 52 bullets was about 1/2 full, and my typical casting session rarely yields north of 100 bullets that pass spec anyway.
    -Paul

Well, the toaster oven was a wash. Wild - like 80F - temperature swings and I had to monitor it constantly to turn the thermostat so elements fired on and off within any kind of acceptable range. Even then, I did step away once or twice and though I had a "setpoint" of 420 (and all kinds of others, trying to keep 420-440), sometimes it swung to 510F before shutting off (with carryover temp much higher), other times, went 380F before kicking on (and then 420F, cycling off again). I think that, and the fact elements are way too close to the tray and localized heating is severe, well....you see the photo.

I could do a high-temp PID but my DIY days pretty much ended with cheese vats, aging caves, and beer cellars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230607_113632-min.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	314818

I think I'm getting the hint from Bigslug...casting and immediately quenching for the 45-70, mortar lob to 125 yards at most, is kind of calling my name....
    -Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast