Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading for the 45 acp revolver

Boolit Master
    I don't know if the rim will work in a 45 ACP revolver, but I started using 5 in 1 blank cases from Starline to make shotshells. I size them in a 38-40 die so they'll fit anything I own, from 44-40 to 44 Special to 45 Colt. They are already the correct length and easy to stuff with whatever shot size is desired. I compared weight to a plastic 44 Speer capsule and the 5 in 1 will hold a few more pellets but it's not a huge difference. The most important thing to me is that the brass cases are much more robust than the Speer capsules. 4-5 grains of a fast pistol powder gives enough ooomph to kill snakes and birds up close.

45ACP extractor groove is .400"
    308 extractor groove is .409"+
    6.5x55 Swede extractor groove is .413" and the rim is a touch larger in diameter with a noticeable chamfer.

So,

Modify the moon clips.

or

Turn the brass.

+ .010"- .014" doesn't seem like much until you try to get .308 brass in and out of a moon clip.

So, someone might ask how I know this?

In an unrelated project I modified 6.5 Swede and .308 Win into 45ACP brass for silly pressures and heavy boolits.
    Owning a 25-2 S&W occasionally complicated things when I didn't pay attention to headstamps.

Boolit Master
    Does .444 Marlin brass work in a .45 Colt? GF

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    If you shorten it. Be advised: if it is a swing-out cylinder, the extractor may jump the rim. Rod-eject works fine.
    Last edited by challenger_i; 06-06-2023 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Krn't spel fer squat!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Brace for full blasphemy......

Cut empty 410s off at cylinder face length and do a folded or roll crimp after firing the high brass may even head space . Sizing ia a non issue with the plastic case .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Conibear 110 traps will cut down your squirrel problem.
    I prefer to hunt them, but if noise from shooting is a problem or lack of suitable backstop, then the traps are cheap, fun, and a challenge to set up to catch them.
    And they are all edible.
    The traps are cheap and a half dozen is best way to buy them.
    Squirrels seem to explode the population when they are hunted or trapped.
    This is a shooting thread and I prefer to keep it that away, but when they overrun you, they get in and chew up wiring in house and truck/car and they make a mess.Well, I pull out all the stops.
    Also, a .22 airgun will decimate them as well.
    The neighbors are probably feeding the squirrels making it worse.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 06-07-2023 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Had to take a file to groove to open them up to use moonclips and shave back of shell, couldn't close cylinder, hanging up on recoil shield. Made him 50 shell, should last him awhile. Next time I make them I will use the o ring trick and blow them out in the 410 first. Easier to cut. So far 3 chipmunk and 2 red squirrel. Had to double tap the squirrels. Using 5 shot, may have to go to small shot to get more pellets on target. How he is talking about going over to friends place to shoot black birds over the bird feeder. Just what I wanted to do, Fred his habits.

A 12 gauge shotgun with #9 shot works well on them.

Boolit Buddy
    Harter, would 410 shells work in a 45 colt ruger blackhawk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12