Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Opinions on CVA Scout in .35 Whelen

Boolit Master

Opinions on CVA Scout in .35 Whelen

One of these is available locally at what seems to be a good price and comes with 70 rounds of factory ammo. That should be plenty of brass for a cast boolit shooter. Do any of you have one and if so, what is your opinion of if? Thanks in advance. GF

Boolit Master

Shooting 70 rounds of factory .35 whelan in that gun will loosen evey filling in your head. Your dentist will love you.

Boolit Master

Mine is a handi-rifle It is a great little gun.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Reminds me of cheap Encore pistol in the local LGS, a 30-06 with a 12"barrel. Next time I saw it was in the hands of a 2nd Lt at our range, he did not see or hear me walk up behind him when he was on the firing line. When he touched it off, the barrel barely missed the side of his head, 180 gr Rem Core Loks. He then loaded another round and fired it, shook his little hand and said out loud, Geez. I was laughing too loud to be quiet, he turned around, I said, hurts "don't it", so he started laughing too. Always alowed to make fun of 2nd Lts. Next time I saw the gun was in the same LGS with two boxes of Rem factory under it and 2 fired rounds in one box in a glass case.

You can always pull the bullets and load with cast, for a more civilized recoil mode. I have a 700 Classic 24" and it is not all that much fun to shoot with factory ammo. The 35 Whelen can and will in fact beat you like a rented mule, in a light weight rifle.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Back in the day I bought a Savage 516 in 308 Win. It wasn't any fun either. A couple of SWAT guys were at the range the first time I fired it and they handled it OK. I didn't keep it very long. Shoulda got the 223

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never really heard anything bad about the CVA singe shots; it is just when I hear CVA, I think mid 1970's lower quality muzzle loaders. It is kind of hard for me to wrap my head around CVA's being good guns.

On the other hand I seem to recall that the single shots have Bergarra sp barrels. Supposed to be high quality.

If it is a good price, I would have to try it out. Keep in mind factory level loads from a light-ish rifle will not be fun.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input, guys. I guess it's like the .44 mags and .500 S&Ws that end up being listed with only 5 or six rounds having been fired. GF

I have a 9.3 x 62 in a bolt action, pretty close as the same as the 35 Whelen and it kicks pretty good with top loads. I shot 2 antelope with it from prone position and both times the scope gave me a Weaver Bite next to my eye.
    I also own a CVA scout in a 243 and it’s a great rifle in all ways except I wish it had a wood stock, the black plastic stock fits right or left hand shooters the same and that’s great for me as I am a leftie.

Jedman

I watched a show on Netflix called *****. Arnold Schwarzenegger spy show.
    They were using CVA Scout MUZZELOADING PISTOLS for DART guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood stocks are available for the Scout V2 from Boyds. I got the thumb hole version for my BO but they have the 'normal' style as well.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Nothing that couldn't be improved by adding a couple of lbs of weight somewhere.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the cva scouts in the Whelen. If you don't get crazy it's not bad. Cast 200 gr. RCBS clone running just about the starting load is fun. For just banging around, pistol bullets around 150 gr. Are a hoot.

Can you load and shoot bp in a 45-70 scout? How would. the recoil be? Seems easy to clean and a scope would make it accurate.
    The firing pin might gum up and the extractor. But I don’t think the muzzle brake is necessary. It would probably plug and become useless w/o maintenance. Not my favorite thing while shooting. Just as long as it holds together.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
    I have one of the cva scouts in the Whelen. If you don't get crazy it's not bad. Cast 200 gr. RCBS clone running just about the starting load is fun. For just banging around, pistol bullets around 150 gr. Are a hoot.
    A lot of the 35 Whelen don't shoot revolver bullets accurately. They may be some that will.

Banned
    BPI Outdoors is the parent company to brands in the hunting & shooting industry, including , and Bergara Rifles™, CVA®, PowerBelt® Bullets™, Quake Industries™, and DuraSight™.

Bergara barrels are about the middle of the road in quality barrel. Sorry to tramp on your toes.