Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: there aint nothing quite like good neighbors

Boolit Master

there aint nothing quite like good neighbors

my faith in humanity is once again renewed.
    here's the rest of the story. Yesterday morning I headed out to parts unknown in the wilds of western North Carolina to get another antique farmall tractor...
    It was a very long drive though many miles of twisting turning roads up and down the mountains about 60 miles east of lake lure pulling a two axle trailer. well I got the old "barn find" loaded on the trailer. it had probably been sitting in that barn at least 30 years, rode hard and put up after decades of use and abuse.
    by the time I got home about midnight I was worn out and exhausted tired pulling in my driveway I miscalculated a curve and landed half way down the slope.
    the trailer was stuck fast on the axles at about a 40 degree angle. I put the 1 ton chevy in 4 wheel drive low and the wheel just spun. stuck, really stuck.
    this morning a neighbor I dont know pulled up the driveway and asked if I needed help. the man came back a little later with his loader and picked up the trailer and put it back on the driveway, took about 2 minutes. Now ive got a new friend in a neighbor I never before knew.

Boolit Master
    Awesome!

Cool.

After reading and hearing horror stories, I have a great appreciation for the neighbors I have too.
    Well,,, almost all of them anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Good neighbors are a blessing. A good neighbor will stop just to make sure you dont need help or if he sees something amiss. When young the neighborhood boys would mow and do odd chores for the older people, take them fishing and in the fall hunting. The girls would help with baking canning and odds and ends. The way a neighborhood should be and or a community. I learned a lot from those neighbors wood working trapping hunting fishing mechanics.

Glad to here it still is done in places

Boolit Master
    yup I sure was stuck

thank god for good people

tried to add picture of the situation but

error--failed to upload

Love stories like that. There are still good people in the world.

Boolit Master
    ive heard the expression pay it forward
    well I'm going to let one good deed lead to another and send a young friend in florida a care package with a bunch of primed 270 brass, some 270 spire points, an old Lyman mold 429 that stamped 448 but bullet looks exactly like 429360 design, and a big bag of 55 grain sprite points for his 223 shooting

Boolit Master
    There are still a few good people around. Glad You found one, one found you..

Boolit Master

i managed to pick up a hydraulic hose maker and a metric crap ton of new hose fittings at an estate sale yesterday and was going through all the stuf when a neighbor called and wanted to use my loader because he had blown a hydraulic line on his and with it being sunday, nobody was open to make a new one. told him to bring his bad hoses and a trailer so one way or the other he could get his work done. low and behold we found the right fittings and hose and had him 2 replacement hoses made in no time. hopefully word dont get out to far and wide or i might be making hoses full time on the weekends because thats always when stuff breaks.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Good neighbors are few, bad ones will get you to sell. Been there on both ends.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

We're very fortunate here, have wonderful neighbors on our road. And good friends not far away. It's still rural, sort of, but city slickers are moving in on the farms that are going under, and bringing their city ways.

Boolit Master
    Yep,,, good neighbors are a treasure. I try to be one myself. So far,, al my neighbors & I seem to be getting along just fine. And we've helped each other out when necessary.

60 miles east of Lake Lure,,, ??
    I'm in Lake Lure. You were close to me. Where was this tractor?

Some folks are neighbors, and some are just adjacent landowners.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got that here. Neighbors and people that live next door

Boolit Master
    Had a good neighbour many years,last year he passed,his children have been renting the house to the greatest lot of misfits and dropouts Ive ever seen .......damn big dogs that bark all night,despite being locked in 24/7 ......four younguns gotta be in the drug trade ,I was stuck down by the dividing fence a while back (wet ground) ,one of them comes over "Whatcha doin by the fence so long"...............anyhoo ,today I see one of them trying to start a discard mower ......rental inspection day to- morrow.

Boolit Master

Good neighbors are a blessing from the LORD. Always try to be one.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    my faith in humanity is once again renewed.
    here's the rest of the story. Yesterday morning I headed out to parts unknown in the wilds of western North Carolina to get another antique farmall tractor...
    It was a very long drive though many miles of twisting turning roads up and down the mountains about 60 miles east of lake lure pulling a two axle trailer. well I got the old "barn find" loaded on the trailer. it had probably been sitting in that barn at least 30 years, rode hard and put up after decades of use and abuse.
    by the time I got home about midnight I was worn out and exhausted tired pulling in my driveway I miscalculated a curve and landed half way down the slope.
    the trailer was stuck fast on the axles at about a 40 degree angle. I put the 1 ton chevy in 4 wheel drive low and the wheel just spun. stuck, really stuck.
    this morning a neighbor I dont know pulled up the driveway and asked if I needed help. the man came back a little later with his loader and picked up the trailer and put it back on the driveway, took about 2 minutes. Now ive got a new friend in a neighbor I never before knew.
    We are blessed to live in the country.....they are the cream of crop and very likely to come to help! You did well and got a new friend to boot!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

My neighbor is my mother in law, and she is a saint.

Yep, came around a tree next to the lower pond, grass was dry, not the red clay under, slid off sideways right over the edge of the pond's drop off, two wheels down in the soupy clay. I had to climb off into the pond. In a few minutes while down in the mud in the pond I hear; "You need some help" was the neighbor across the street. Yep I am high centered.
    A 4x4 tractor is 0 effect if the wheels are not touching solid ground. He goes off and comes back with his father's 50 hp 4x4 tractor, just drug me out of the pond. Last bird shoot, I gave him all of my dozen birds.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Good neighbors are a blessing. A good neighbor will stop just to make sure you dont need help or if he sees something amiss. When young the neighborhood boys would mow and do odd chores for the older people, take them fishing and in the fall hunting. The girls would help with baking canning and odds and ends. The way a neighborhood should be and or a community. I learned a lot from those neighbors wood working trapping hunting fishing mechanics.

Glad to here it still is done in places
    Where the heck is the like button! This is how I grew up. Even out on the farm neighbors helped each other. Grandma had a big outdoor kitchen so a lot of canning for 5 or 6 families got done there with Grandma teaching the youngsters how to do it right! If someone lost a combine or was injured during harvest all the neighbors showed up to do it for them and get the crop in the bins. No payment asked ever. Not even for fuel. Of course the crew got fed... but even there everyone pitched in to cook, 10-20 guys can eat a LOT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast