Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8mm Mauser

Boolit Grand Master

Wolfdog91

$330 for that M98 is an excellent price given it's already D&T'd, bolt hand forged or replaced and a scope safety installed. BTW, the rear Weaver base is not the correct one for a military M98. It's probably the one for an FN or other commercial action w/o the stripper clip guides. It can be easily modified to fit level by grinding or filing so it clears the stripper clip guide.

The 8x57 is an excellent cartridge, as mentioned, for cast bullets. I favor the Lyman 323471 for best accuracy and long range work as it has one of the best BCs for a cast bullet. The long Loverin design also fits the long throats of most milsurp barrels. The Lyman 323470 is also an excellent choice. I have a 195 gr GB Lee 6 cavity mould and a 150 gr PB bullet that also are excellent performers. Most milsurp 8x57 M98s with very good to excellent bores have grooves that are .005"+ deep which is excellent for cast bullets.

The 8x57 is also an excellent jacketed bullet cartridge when loaded to its European CIP potential as also mentioned. Loaing to that potential puts it on par with the 308W, 30-06 or similar cartridges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd shoot it as is before changing anything, except for mounting a scope. As mentioned the hard (expensive) parts of making it a sporter are already done.

Also don't be too quick to get rid of the two stage trigger they can be smoothed up considerably, if needed.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    In my 1907 GEW98 8mm, the Lee mold, the Lyman/Ideal 323-470 and the NOE .326 135 grain - plain base and gas check all work really well. The NOE was a special run at the time, but I think Al has it in his line up now - mine drop around .325 or a tad more and I size them to .325 and they chamber in my rifle. My bore is .323 on the nose and with .323 lead boolits, I've never had a leading issue, but I'm not pushing them hard either.. I strictly plink and punch paper with mine and all of the ones I list shoot very well TL in Alox/paste wax over about 8 grains of Red Dot - with and without gas checks. I also have a RCBS mold for the 8mm Nambu - IIRC, it drops right at .323 and around 120 grains + or -. It makes a great light plinking round over Red Dot.

That rifle should be a great shooter with cast and a lot of fun!

Boolit Master
    The 8x57 is one of those I just like, as good or better than the 30-06 on game. I have the RCBS 8mm-170 and the Lee C324-175. Both NOE and Accurate list good looking designs for 8mm. For 'popgun' loading, a .323 or .324 plain base 'cowboy' bullet would work, but keep the 'cowboy' bullets slow. I like the 180-210 grain bullets in the 8x57. Twist is usually 1-9.5 so trying to go to fast can cause accuracy problems, but the 8x57 usually has very deep rifling grooves and is forgiving in other ways. I have taken elk with mine, it is very capable. Matt's Bullets has a .323-185 Gas check I have used, like the RCBS 8mm-180 Flatnose Gas Check, a quality bullet. For elk I use the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

Boolit Grand Master

SWEET !

I like It ... reminds me of my first "deer rifle" and the first rifle of just about every male kid I went to High School with ... At the local Steinberge's Army-Navy surplus and outdoors sporting goods store they had them standing up in barrels $30 each for the battle used 98 Mausers . The unissued 1903-A3 Springfield 30-06 went for the unheard of $60 ... I scrimpt and saved and begged some money from my Dad and got one , never issued still in the cosmoline !
    Those days are gone but the deal you made in todays dollars was great buy !
    It should be a good cast boolit shooter too .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12