MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks for removing mouse smell from cars?

Boolit Master
    Look up State Chemical and see what they have.

Also Share Chemicals. Share has something called Away. It will take away or cover the order but has a citronella scent!! If you want some I think we have a bottle or two to move out of storage. You pay the shipping. I think the last count there was 30 some quart bottles and we can't use it inside the building, and at a cap full of it per dumpster that is years and years of supply.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    A gallon of gas and a match! OK sorry for that but I just had to post it. Seriously the problem is probably in the ductwork for the heating and air-conditioning. And all the nooks and crannies behind the dashboard and the cowling under the hood. Spraying all the air freshener in the world inside the car ain’t gonna help if you don’t eliminate the source. Unfortunately removing the dashboard and cleaning and or replacing all the insulation and ducts is a major and costly job probably not worth it. You can try at your own risk start the car turn the heater on high open the windows and let it run for about an hour. I have had some success with that as far as eliminating odors of various kinds. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Good luck
    Gas was the thought I had before opening the thread.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Beware of Hanta virus, it nearly killed a mechanic friend of mine!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

There were two dead mice under the hood of the Toyota Highlander my coworker is checking out.

They were mummified and crispy. When I suggested that they only needed ketchup and black pepper and that anything fried in bacon grease tastes good he made the Mr yuk face

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    There were two dead mice under the hood of the Toyota Highlander my coworker is checking out.

They were mummified and crispy. When I suggested that they only needed ketchup and black pepper and that anything fried in bacon grease tastes good he made the Mr yuk face
    Oh,,, rat jerky. I've heard about that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh,,, rat jerky. I've heard about that.
    More like a furry chicken nugget.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by recycled bullet View Post
    more like a furry chicken nugget.
    *barfs*

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd try a cheap ?? can of coffee.

I was talking with my cousin last night and several families of mice got into the trunk on her trike. I suggested baking soda, and she asked about coffee grounds; said she had used it on some of her mom's rental houses and it seemed to work.

Robert

Boolit Master
    They sell big bags of coffee grounds at Rural King. It's used in backyard chicken coops as bedding, lots of people use it and say it keeps odor down from the chicken waste. Just a thought.
    Ever farm truck we had growing up had that "mouse pee" smell. The worst was when I was old enough to drive, but still at home, I bought some goats from a man on the other side of the county, and hauled them home in the rear of a Dodge Ramcharger. Dad said that thing smelled like a billy goat every time it rained to the day he sold it! I bet the new owner was surprised when the first rain came!

x2 on the baking soda and charcoal. liberally apply that to every surface you can reach, lay it thick. leave it for a few days. grind up the charcoal into powder and leave it on trays to absorb the odor in the air. vacuum it all out when done.

Vents and internal spaces are harder to clean. vinegar does a pretty good job too but it also leaves a residue of smell. but it's way better than pee!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You might want to get an ozone generator.
    I definitely concur on the ozone; have used this technique to de-odor a few cars.

Have the vent fans on 'recirculate'; as long as overnight if possible, to distribute the ozone through the vents.
    Key would have to be in the ignition - maybe plug the battery onto a trickle charger to keep from getting drained.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-06-2023 at 09:27 AM.

I used an Ozone lamp and 2 fans. Ran the lamp about 15 times over 3 days with fan blowing on high under the seats. Smell is gone. Your days may very.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You might want to get an ozone generator.
    One of these, had a dog sprayed by a skunk, tried washing it out no go, brought home an ozone generator from work and tied the dog in front of it for a day, smell gone.

Boolit Grand Master

When you live out in the country and have barns , corn cribs and vehicles parked and in storage ... You Got to have a good old fashioned Rat Killin every now and again .
    If you don't them rats will take over and ruin everything !

Or has modern tecnology come up with a replacement for the good old fashioned time honored Rat Killin ?

Back in the day Me and my little beagle dog "Biff" was considered top tier professional Rat Killer's ... folks from miles around would invite me and Biff to attend their Rat Killin and they always fed use well for our services ...Momma said we shouldn't take no money , that neighbors helped each other when in need .
    We was good at it and it was a great sport !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I had a problem with some rodent that was chewing the wires. What I have ended up doing is buying a small container of peppermint extract putting a drops of in the engine compartment. If I can smell it, it is plenty strong to keep the rodents out.
    There are also repellent bags with the same smell. I initially dropped one in under the air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Put some dishes of vinegar inside and let it work. It kills fish smell in the kitchen, so may be worth a try.
    Vinegar will neutralise the smell.

Mix a solution of white vinegar and water, one part vinegar to five parts water. Apply it from a spray bottle to the affected surfaces, and let it dry.

it works for cat urine, should work for your case.

Boolit Master

Detail shop said they will use an ozone generator after they verify all sources are gone. Complete interior and exterior detail plus buffing and headlight restoration. $700.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I put an Ozonator machine in a buddy's car last week due to mice odor. Left it running overnight and it seems to have cleared the odor our very well. Did the same to my Jeep the next evening and it took the stale smell out of it, too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My dad gave me his 2007 HHR a couple of years ago that had been sitting unused next to his home in the country. Infested with mice. I cleaned it out, scrubbed it, used fancy air scrubbers and special de-odorizer solutions.

It was better, but still prominent on warm days. Oh well. It's a $500 beater that I used to run to the range and work in.

However, I just inherited his replacement vehicle; a 2016 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD...

Attachment 314720

Unfortunately, it also sat outside and got infested with mice. I got it home the other day and started cleaning it out. I found a giant mouse nest in the spare tire well and the worst rodent damage I have ever seen. There was mouse poo on the front seat, on the dash, literally everywhere! They chewed on the floor mats and sound deadening material. Nasty.

I wore latex gloves and a mask while I cleaned it out...

Attachment 314721

Attachment 314722

Attachment 314723

I ended up taking apart the back half of the vehicle and using bleach and a pressure sprayer to remove all of the mouse urine.

Attachment 314724

Attachment 314725

I vacuumed and scrubbed the rest of the car and got the front area clean enough to drive...

Attachment 314726

I'm taking it to a professional detail shop next week to have everything done and hopefully get any remaining mouse smell out.

If they fail to remove the smell, anyone know of a way to get it out? If the smell doesn't come out, then I will sell it.
    I'm fond of OdoBan. You can launder fabrics with it, spray it on surfaces, or even pour it on, and it works pretty well for mouse and rat droppings and urine. last time I bought some, a couple of months ago, it was about $10 a gallon. Smells of eucalyptus, which I like, and SWMBO doesn't, but it works well enough that she tolerates it anyway. Removes urine odors from clothing and towels in the laundry, and kills the smells on walls, floors, and pretty much anything that can stand to have liquid sprayed or flowed on to it. Says it uses enzymes to break down the stuff causing the odors, and I've been using the stuff for at least 30 years.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast