WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the Dillon XL750...help

Boolit Buddy
    I noticed that after loading about 20-30 rounds the handle was getting harder to pull back like something was sticking. I just removed the crimp die and there was quite a bit of brass shavings. I haven't cleaned in it some time. I had all the dies out to reinstall and haven't put them all back yet. Will do it in just a bit. Will report back soon. Also I had a Dillon dealer tell me today that I should be using case lube on the cases and that things will be that much easier. What are your thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    Spraying Horniday One Shot on the cases will make things easier. I generally run pistol cases dry, but to each their own. I prefer Dillon dies, have had less problems with them than any others. Generally when the handle is hard to pull back, the ram needs lubed. There is a learning curve, but when it is set up, they are nice to run.

Boolit Buddy
    I happened to have a new bottle of Frankfort Arsenal Case Lube from a couple years ago that I never did use so I'm gonna spray a bunch of cases to see if it makes a difference.Would the ram need lubing on a brand new press?? I thought that would have been done at the factory no?? Unfortunately Dillon dies are out of the question as they can't be had anywhere. The dillon dealer I was at today said it would likely be 2 years before we saw Dillon dies here in Canada.I"m considering a set of Lyman dies though.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ide-4-die-sets
    Last edited by dearslayer; 06-30-2023 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Buddy
    first in case I missed it , what are you loading ?
    how do you clean your brass wet or dry . if it is wet it causes more friction on the size die
    too lube brass , poor a layer in a cardboard box and give it a couple of spirts and shake box than let dry for a few minutes you dont need much
    lubing the ram , use motor oil or you can use gun oil just apply a thin coat , in your dillon manual will have all the recomending lube points and wich lube to use
    on your dies , if you cant get dillon try Redding , but if the only problem is the crimp you can buy just a standard crimp die
    if can you mail order like from Graf an Sons they are a dillon dealer .I dont know the deal with shipping to Canada , you have read their shipping details
    also are you checking your size case with a case gage and than your finished round

Boolit Buddy
    forget shipping from Graf but Dillon will ship , you would have to call for details and priceing

All Dillon loaders are lubricated fully during the assembly process, motor oil on the shaft, grease everywhere else. If the loader has sat on a delaer's shelf for a few months before purchase, a bit of motor oil on the shaft might be needed. But otherwise no lubrication would be necessary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    I noticed that after loading about 20-30 rounds the handle was getting harder to pull back like something was sticking. I just removed the crimp die and there was quite a bit of brass shavings. I haven't cleaned in it some time. I had all the dies out to reinstall and haven't put them all back yet. Will do it in just a bit. Will report back soon. Also I had a Dillon dealer tell me today that I should be using case lube on the cases and that things will be that much easier. What are your thoughts?
    Look at your sized brass, do you see scratches or gouges running the length of the case? I had this happen with a new die, apparently some of the diamond paste hadn’t gotten washed out from when the carbide was polished and those bits started grabbing the brass. As the brass built up in the die the press got a little harder to operate. Wasn’t hard to fix, and brass wasn’t ruined, just something to look for.

Boolit Master

I happened to have a new bottle of Frankfort Arsenal Case Lube from a couple years ago that I never did use so I'm gonna spray a bunch of cases to see if it makes a difference.Would the ram need lubing on a brand new press?? I thought that would have been done at the factory no?? Unfortunately Dillon dies are out of the question as they can't be had anywhere. The dillon dealer I was at today said it would likely be 2 years before we saw Dillon dies here in Canada.I"m considering a set of Lyman dies though.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ide-4-die-sets
    You will probably be able to notice a big difference with even the smallest amount of case lube. I’ve spray lubed a handful and tossed them into the case feeder that was already mostly full of unlubed cases. Just one every now and then keeps the dies lubed nicely.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Look at your sized brass, do you see scratches or gouges running the length of the case? I had this happen with a new die, apparently some of the diamond paste hadn’t gotten washed out from when the carbide was polished and those bits started grabbing the brass. As the brass built up in the die the press got a little harder to operate. Wasn’t hard to fix, and brass wasn’t ruined, just something to look for.
    Thanks. These dies are more than a few years old now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    You will probably be able to notice a big difference with even the smallest amount of case lube. I’ve spray lubed a handful and tossed them into the case feeder that was already mostly full of unlubed cases. Just one every now and then keeps the dies lubed nicely.
    I tried the lube with the result being not much different. Sticking a little less but still does the "clunk" when it pulls away from the plug.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dillonhelp View Post
    All Dillon loaders are lubricated fully during the assembly process, motor oil on the shaft, grease everywhere else. If the loader has sat on a delaer's shelf for a few months before purchase, a bit of motor oil on the shaft might be needed. But otherwise no lubrication would be necessary.
    Thanks. I'll apply a few drops on the shaft .

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the lube with the result being not much different. Sticking a little less but still does the "clunk" when it pulls away from the plug.
    By plug, do you mean the expander die? If so, try putting just a little bit of bullet lube on the expander portion, or some kind of wax. It will need reapplied frequently. I have also wiped the sides of my nose and put the skin oil on the expander.

Tried an experiment today when loading on a 650, by spraying Horniday One Shot case lube on the cases in the case feeder. It made a noticeable difference when pulling the handle down. I may just make using it a normal thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    By plug, do you mean the expander die? If so, try putting just a little bit of bullet lube on the expander portion, or some kind of wax. It will need reapplied frequently. I have also wiped the sides of my nose and put the skin oil on the expander.

Tried an experiment today when loading on a 650, by spraying Horniday One Shot case lube on the cases in the case feeder. It made a noticeable difference when pulling the handle down. I may just make using it a normal thing.
    Yes I do mean the expander die. I'm using the DDA boolit feeder powder funnel.

Boolit Buddy
    that is a common issue with the DDA powder funnel , best you can do is polish it but it will still stick but not as bad

Boolit Buddy
    there is another company making these at http://photoescapeinc.com
    never tried one so dont know how they are , they look like a better finish product
    if the link dont work just search photoescape inc . they have a note that they are away for july and ship when they get back

the problem with the DDA is tooling marks on the surface , if you run your fingernail across the surface you should feel the ridges

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post

Another option to spraying lube into the case feeder is to spray a portion of the brass and letting it dry before adding it to the feeder. It doesn’t eliminate collecting lube in the feeder but it sure slows it down. I’ve been doing it that way for several years.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    there is another company making these at http://photoescapeinc.com
    never tried one so dont know how they are , they look like a better finish product
    if the link dont work just search photoescape inc . they have a note that they are away for july and ship when they get back

the problem with the DDA is tooling marks on the surface , if you run your fingernail across the surface you should feel the ridges
    There is no difference between these and DAA, this is where DAA gets theirs. I know only because I asked DAA for one in 41 mag and they said that they don’t sell enough to stock but that their supplier has them and pointed me to them.

Moderator Emeritus
    That site had several interesting products. Some of them looked like solutions for problems that don’t exist, but I only have a 550 and 650, not a 750.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12