RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: NOE pistol expander "plugs"

Boolit Master

NOE pistol expander "plugs"

if i size my bullets for 9mm to .358 what size noe expander plug should i get.
    same with 45 auto sized to .452. looking at the noe site some of the expander plugs are stated " auto pistol" what is the reason for that??

Following, I still haven't decoded NOE's parts details. The FBI should look for the Zodiac killer there.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

I also tried my best to determine which plugs to buy ...
    When I thought I had it right ... I decided to get on the NOE forum site and ask what the correct sizer should be ... I was as confused as a honey bee in a mason jar .

I stated here is the boolit , what round I'm loading and my sized dia., and I let them tell me which plug was correct :

38 special / 357 magnum - size to .358" ... Exp. Plug .360 X .356 (P)

9mm Luger - size to .357" ... Exp. Plug .358 X .354 (AP)

41 Magnum - size to .410" ... Exp. Plug .412 X .408 (P)

I'm glad I contacted NOE and got help picking out the correct plugs because I had it all wrong .
    And these plugs work great ... but get the right size ... I now buy an expander plug with every new mould / design if I don't already have one ...
    They Beat Lyman M-Dies Seven ways to Sunday and halfway to Wednesday !
    Thank you Al Nelson !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have been making my own "custom" M style expander plugs for a while.

The following are just my thoughts based on some experimentation that I have done.

For the large diameter region, I generally go 0.002" above the as sized bullet. This is to take care of brass "spring-back" such that the bullet will slip into the mouth easily but not be too loose.

For the smaller diameter portion of the plug, going smaller than the as sized bullet helps to ensure the bullet is held adequately secure by the brass.

• If you are dealing with thick wall brass (9 mm and similar) and you are worried about sizing "softer" bullets down by the brass, going only 0.001" under might be worth a try.
    • Otherwise 0.002" smaller is probably a good "general purpose" choice.
    • Only if you are using bullets that are on the hard side, and/or brass wall thickness that is on the thin side, consider 0.003" under.

I use NOE expanders for loading all of my cast bullets. I was looking on their website, and noticed that some were marked for auto pistol. This is the first time I noticed that. What is the difference?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

My new RCBS 9mm & 357 die sets came with M expanders. No quessing. Work great for cast.

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Following, I still haven't decoded NOE's parts details. The FBI should look for the Zodiac killer there.
    I recently read an online magazine article, where the author said the first number is the diameter, and the second, the length ( or vice versa )

I was amused that someone who purports to be an "expert" can't see how silly that is.... using his logic, the .17 expander is less than 1/4" long...
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I read somewhere that the first number was the amount of flare at the case mouth, and the second number was the amount of expansion inside the case.

My understanding is generally similar to what P Flados mentioned above. The first number should be 0.002" over the bullet size and the second number should be 0.001" to 0.002" less that the bullet size.

I recently purchased a set of these for both 9mm and 40 S&W. My 9mm bullets are sized to 0.356" so I purchased the .358 X .354 expander for that. My 40 S&W bullets are sized to 0.401" so I purchased the .403 X .399 expander for those. I haven't tried them yet, so I can't confirm I got it totally right.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

It would be real easy for NOE to make a product diagram for these, they might even make more money doing it.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

It's real easy to ask Al Nelson which plug(s) are correct for your boolit / application !
    Drop him a line on the NOE Forum !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

NOE expander measurements are the dieameters of the step then the expander. a 360x356 is a .356 diameter expander, with a .360 diameter step, and is made for .358 diameter bullets (provided you want .002 of bullet pull). So basically, for .002 bullet pull, buy the expander with your targeted bullet diameter in the middle of the two listed numbers. Auto Pistol plugs are shorter, and don't expand as deeply.

RCBS expanders come with a step, and work well, provided they have the size you need.

Boolit Master
    NOE pistol expanders have a shorter nose, which is needed for the shorter cases that most auto pistol cartridges have. They might bottom out in the case, otherwise. I have 21 NOE expanders (and counting) for both rifle and pistol; one size for jacketed, and another for cast. Hope this helps.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rvpilot76 View Post
    NOE pistol expanders have a shorter nose, which is needed for the shorter cases that most auto pistol cartridges have. They might bottom out in the case, otherwise. I have 21 NOE expanders (and counting) for both rifle and pistol; one size for jacketed, and another for cast. Hope this helps.

Kevin
    Have you dabbled in any of their ptxd for rifles?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Have you dabbled in any of their ptxd for rifles?
    No, as all my rifle charges get thrown with an electronic scale. I run the NOE Expander in place of the regular belling die when running pistol rounds through my progressive. Just replacing one die with another, in my case.
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I switched over to NOE expander plugs a rear ago for pistol and rifle that I load - They work well for me. The # X # size already explained above as well as difference in pistol/rifle plugs.

I also switched from the Lee push through boolit sizing dies to NOE boolit sizing system for the boolits I use if they need to be sized for my pistol/rifle boolits. I like them much better - especially being able to use a correct nose punch when applying gas checks and for sizing several hollow base boolits I use in soft lead - the right contour nose punch prevents dehprming the nose of the boolit - something that a flat nose stem of a Lee push through die was/is prone to do.

Boolit Master
    Do the NOE expanders go deep enough for wadcutters seated flush?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Do the NOE expanders go deep enough for wadcutters seated flush?
    Yep. The 38 Special Powder thru Expander has the neck expanding portion the same length as a 148 grain wadcutter.

Hope this helps.

N.O.E. 38 Special Powder thru Expander Die

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38_Spl_Die.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	314844 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38_Spl_Expander.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	314843
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 06-08-2023 at 06:51 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software