WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A weed that won't die

Boolit Bub

I would try drilling holes in the roots just under and along the bark and filling with your herbicide, treating the leaves is only going to produce local results...need to go after the roots.

Boolit Master
    Make sure you used a soap (spreader). If you see water drops on the leaves then add more soap. If you just see a wet leaves then that's good.

It's a broad leave so Admine 2 4D should work. Spray on the leaves and let dry.

I would just keep treading as it grows.

With some weeds you want to hit them near the end of the growing season as they are storing nutrients to overwinter. Rock salt will kill, but it will kill everything. Remember enemies salting the fields of their enemies in the old days.

If you go "hot" on your mix ..meaning over application rate per label rate per type of applicator type what happens is you kill off the visible portion of the plant before it can transfer to the root system the killing aspect of the Round-Up "interruption package"

So slow and methodical is your only weapon ..your mix of choice should be with in this researched recommendation

https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/inva.../kudzu-control

You can put the above link information in the bank as the very best solution ..it will require some help from a farmer friend or your local Coop (to apply) as the best results will require a herbicide that can only be acquired by a licensed and safety trained operator such as a farmer (I am licensed as a farmer as an example) or a licensed commercial applicator such as your local Coop (or possibly a commercial landscaping service)

Sorry to say 2-4-D is not labeled for Kudzu and though it may knock it back some I don't think it will be a root killer ..also the Round-Up just will not get enough "killer action" down into large and deep roots

You will find after reading thoroughly the the points in the above link that it requires a double action (leaf contact as well as soil penetration of the active KILLING agents to the roots by the chemical permeating through the soil (via rain or irrigation) to physically surround the roots ..it is also at least a 3 year process using the very best chemicals and process

Good luck
    Bear

Boolit Master
    Back in the 50's and early 60's an older brother of my dad was the County Extension Agent for Tallahatchie County, Mississippi. He touted Kudzu so much; his daughter told me his nickname down there was "Kudzu James". Miracle plant that would stop erosion dead in its tracks. He gave my dad some to plant along the highway cut at the edge of our place in the Ozarks. Since then it has plumb overwhelmed about 4 or 5 acres of our ground along the highway. It will eventually even kill trees. Good luck on killing the dern stuff.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Bub
    IF you want to eradicate this plant here is my formula: Place a small ( 8" diameter ) piece of PVC pipe , about 4 inches tall, around the offending plant and fill it up with boiling hot water. It will kill that plant and wont come back for one year. If I can kill tumbleweeds this way , it is a highly effective method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Once it gets established the main root can be several feet deep.
    When Dad moved us here in 1963 there was several acres of the stuff, a well established patch. We dug the septic tank by hand and the roots were over six feet deep. The deeper they were the bigger and juicier they were.

My brother has a small farm here and the live stock love the stuff and keep it down but it still spreads. The road scraper drags small pieces up and down the road and it takes hold. I've tried to kill some patches but it is too well established. I really don't think a large patch can really be controlled.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    When Dad moved us here in 1963 there was several acres of the stuff, a well established patch. We dug the septic tank by hand and the roots were over six feet deep. The deeper they were the bigger and juicier they were.

My brother has a small farm here and the live stock love the stuff and keep it down but it still spreads. The road scraper drags small pieces up and down the road and it takes hold. I've tried to kill some patches but it is too well established. I really don't think a large patch can really be controlled.
    Livestock will just about push a fence over to get to it. I am not sure, but I think the root system is kind of like bamboo - it spreads underground and comes up everywhere, and then the dern stuff goes up into the trees.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Get goats! Goats will wipe out a kudzu patch!

LIKE !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

LIKE !

Gary
    I too chuckled when I read his post. As I am finding out more about the patch of kudzu here, the more I like that answer.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    I cut the kudzu vine growing up the trees. It sprouted new growth to start new vines near ground level and the goats ate it and pawed the roots out of the ground. Pretty high protein in kudzu compared to other plants.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Supposed to be edible but I have no idea how to prepare it for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Supposed to be edible but I have no idea how to prepare it for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.ajc.com/blog/atlanta-res...1c4uCwXHDdXQO/

Try to get the young ones much like fiddleheads. The roots can also be eaten and I've read to prepare them like cat tail or yucca roots but have not tried them.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Deer like it too.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Crossbow will probably kill it without killing the grass. But it will kill hardwood trees, so be careful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0137.jpeg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Crossbow will probably kill it without killing the grass. But it will kill hardwood trees, so be careful.
    I’ve tried crossbow without success.
    I think that a lot depends upon the specific infestation. If it’s decades old it’ll be tough to eradicate even with an excavator.
    Goats for the win…except that the yotes like them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’ve tried crossbow without success.
    I think that a lot depends upon the specific infestation. If it’s decades old it’ll be tough to eradicate even with an excavator.
    Goats for the win…except that the yotes like them.
    Put a donkey or two in with the goats to keep the coyotes away(not based on personal experience but on hearsay).
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    hot boiling water gives most plants a hiding...... climbing ivy has reputation of being very hard to kill..I stripped a piece of vine and poked it into bottle of poison..left it there so could keep sucking it up..killed it well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    With some weeds you want to hit them near the end of the growing season as they are storing nutrients to overwinter. Rock salt will kill, but it will kill everything. Remember enemies salting the fields of their enemies in the old days.
    Exactly Right ... Rock Salt will kill it deader than a Door-Nail ... but that's the point !
    Drastic Weeds require Drastic measures .
    In a couple years the salt is washed away by rain and things will grow there .
    Use Ice Cream Salt , Safe Step (deicer for steps) , Clean & Protect ...
    Safe Step , at Tractor Supply , is $8.99 for fifty ( 50 ) pounds ... fifty pounds of rock salt can kill a lot of weeds , de-ice steps and sidewalks and make ice-cream to boot ...can you get anything cheaper than $8.99 ?

Shawlerbrook ... Thanks for acknowledging the fact that salt will kill plants .
    It does not kill everything forever...but for a couple years not much grows on that spot . You have to use it selectively , on spots where the "evil" weeds are taking a foothold ... it isn't for spraying ...just spot treatment , but it works like gangbusters !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12