MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Henry Big Boy X 357, 44, or 45? If you were reloading for suppressor

Question Henry Big Boy X 357, 44, or 45? If you were reloading for suppressor

I've never owned a suppressed lever action but it makes all the sense in the world. Also never owned a Henry before. So I think it's time to check off both boxes.

But which caliber would you go with knowing you would be reloading for it?

38cal: I don't know what the heaviest is that will feed. MAYBE 200gr? Plus would be it would take less powder and lead so cheaper to shoot.

44cal: Not much sure what the advantage here would be over the other 2? 44 magnum is a beast but loud.

45cal: Can load a very heavy slug to send quiet. Can also match or get close to 44 magnum performance. But would take more powder and lead. However I have a ton of LPP and not many SPP.

I'd go 45, especially if you can get it in 454 or 460. Sure, a suppressed 470 wouldn't be all that quiet, but it gives you the ability to push past the abilities of the 45.

Plus, you can have a real powerhouse if you don't ALWAYS shoot suppressed, but even if you do, a suppressed 460 would still be nice

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 06-03-2023 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Given the goal of a suppressor is to be quiet, your top-end velocity will be the same (subsonic threshold) regardless of caliber.

A 170-200 grain WFN .357 will penetrate a lot of meat. . .and consume less resources . . . and maybe be a little lighter if the outside diameter of the barrel is smaller. Otherwise, the gun will be heavier than an externally-identical .40+ gun.

You aren't going to be getting significant velocity effects on impact, so meplat may matter a little. Both .44 and .45 can give you bullet faces in the .30-.35 range

The throw weight capabilities of the .44 and .45 are going to be close enough in this performance envelope as to make little difference, but a .44 of approximately equal weight will have a slightly higher B.C. and fly slightly flatter.

I think it also depends a little on what your primary use handguns are. I like my .45 ACP/Colt Redhawk, but given its black powder history, there's just a bit more volume in that case than all but Casull-level loading with smokeless usually requires. My inclination is to big and slow with a .44.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    For primers, remember that SPP are easier to find / cheaper right now.

My full power load for a 357 Henry is a 180 gr in a 357 case trimmed to 38 SP length with a 1.580 COAL. Go longer and feeding become a problem.

For a sub load, you should be able to get a 200 gr short enough to feed, but I have no idea if it would be accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the 44 and 357 Big Boy X Henry's. I got the 44 because it was available at the time. I am currently loading it with 350gr and 400gr 44 spl subsonic loads and yes it is very quiet. I then ran across the 357 version and got it as well. I currently am doing load development using 38spl cases and 230gr cast bullets. I also expect it to be very quiet.

Boolit Master
    I would go with either .454 or .44, because I wouldn’t want to feel like I was shooting a .22 when I had the slow velocity rounds in there. If it’s just for fun and you want low cost ammo, I would get a .327 Fed (least powder & lead) before I got a .357 Mag.