MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Dumb 6.5 Creedmoor questions, if you don't mind?

Dumb 6.5 Creedmoor questions, if you don't mind?

I am ordering the Lee 140 grain mold, and I need to know what size push through bullet sizer and what size gas check? Rounds will be used in an AR style rifle.
    Thank you!

Not dumb. If you get the wrong sizer, accuracy will suffer. Probably 0.266, that's what Midway lists for 6.5 mm Lee moulds and sizer. You really should slug the bore and then go 0.002" over, never under. The Creedmore is supposed to be 0.264, so 0.266 would be correct, but measure it.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I got by with a .2655 for a 264 WM . But it was a 60s built rifle on an unfired FN98 action. The 270-140 NOE was too big for it .

Measure a fired case neck ID minus .001 as a maximum starting place.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg13 View Post
    Not dumb. If you get the wrong sizer, accuracy will suffer. Probably 0.266, that's what Midway lists for 6.5 mm Lee moulds and sizer. You really should slug the bore and then go 0.002" over, never under. The Creedmore is supposed to be 0.264, so 0.266 would be correct, but measure it.
    ^^^^

I shoot the Lyman 266469, deep seated, in my 6.5CM, 1:8, Sav 12FV. My bore slugged at .2645" and I size .266".

Banned
    Best bullet for my 6.5 CM AR is the Saeco 140 grain. Size as fat as the chamber and throat will allow me.

So a .266 or .264 sized gas check? Who is best for having those in stock?
    I only have the one mold coming in - I can't really buy any more molds right now.
    Lee lists a .266 push through sizer - I know a lot of people have had issues with Lee, but I've had a lot of good luck with their products over the years.
    Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

Boolit Master

I use Lee push through sizers for all of my sizing needs. Some have been opened up to larger than they came from Lee. It solves many problems created by an in-and-out sizer/lube machine. I do lube most of my bullets in an in-and-out die and machine which is at least .001" larger than my sized bullets.
    Good Luck to you!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I've flirted with the idea of that mold for cat sneeze loads for my 6.5 Grendel.....as if I didn't have enough projects, but, yeah, I like!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

I either use Hornady 6.5 gaschecks or make my own. Hornady's are listed as being .264, but the outside diameter on five I just measured went .272-.274. It doesn't matter as long as they fit snugly on the bullet shank because they'll be sized and crimped on when you run them through the sizer. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...cks-1000-count (in stock at the moment I type this).

If you plan to cast a lot in the future, particularly with several different diameters/calibers, you won't go wrong getting an RCBS or Lyman Lubri-Sizer. I bought a used RCBS Lub-A-Matic at a gun show decades ago and only rarely use a Lee sizer anymore. Both RCBS and Lyman accept sizing dies for the other interchangeably. They offer several advantages over the Lee push through sizer. Your checks are crimped on squarely and securely, you can use stick lubes to force stiffer lube into the grease grooves (essential for higher velocity rifle loads), it's easy to change quickly between different diameter sizers, and I think it's faster and cleaner.

I found the Lee sizer to be messy, slow and only can use Lee Liquid Alox. It is cheap though. If you go with the RCBS or Lyman sizer set-up, spend another $12 or so and get the Lyman Gas Check Seat tool. This is the best way to seat your checks squarely and fully on bullet shanks.

Thank you, but I normally powder coat, rarely use regular lubes of any kind any more. I've been casting for a few years now, but normally 9mm, 38 Spl, 7.62x39mm, etc. I do appreciate the help, thank you very much, and I will look for those gas checks!

I've found Sage Outdoors to be the most consistent for gas checks in stock. I've never tried their aluminum but the copper one are first rate.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I've found Sage Outdoors to be the most consistent for gas checks in stock. I've never tried their aluminum but the copper one are first rate.
    Where I get mine as well.

Never purchased from there. My dies, cartridge checker, bullets and Forster trimmer pilot showed up today. Fortunately some of the basics like shell holder and Forster collet are .308. I have the mold and push through sizer on deck.

Boolit Master
    I have only used Hornady GC's because I am a bit paranoid. Several of my loads seat the bullet with the GC below the neck. I want to make sure it won't come off before leaving the case so the Hornady crimp type are my choice.

Yes, it is one of those million (or billion) to one chances of it happening but it's just me. They also fit the bullets well so I keep using them.

I have used other brands (Sage and Gator) in cases with long necks or straight walls. No complaints for them.

I think the only reason I'd change is if I started making my own.