MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rod.

Boolit Master

Cleaning rod.

have a trapdoor on the way and was wondering if there was a flexible rod that would allow cleaning from the breech end and is there a bore guide for this style?.i also have a Pedersoli rolling block and was wonder what bore guide to use due to the center hammer being in the way even when at full cock? Perhaps there is a shorter version. Thanks

Not a trap door, but for lever guns, I've gone to using 2* bore snakes when I don't want to take the bolt out.

I use them like a 'wash and a rinse. One with solvent, one with oil.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Ditto. "Bore Snakes" are the bomb.

tool can easily be made from weed wacker line for use with either patches or brushes -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Durlon (spelling) rod of approximant diameter, is flexible and won't damage gun.
    On my roller I use a 1/8" ss rod, gets past the hammer and does not touch.

Boolit Grand Master

The Otis system is another option.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Man
    The correct spelling is Delrin, a 5/16" diameter rod will be stiff enough to push a patch or brush through from the breach and flexible enough to allow it to bend around the hammer on the roller and the breach of the trapdoor. There are several people and places that offer them, Buffalo Arms would be where I would look first.
    Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearcricket View Post
    The correct spelling is Delrin, a 5/16" diameter rod will be stiff enough to push a patch or brush through from the breach and flexible enough to allow it to bend around the hammer on the roller and the breach of the trapdoor. There are several people and places that offer them, Buffalo Arms would be where I would look first.
    Sam
    Thank You

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Ditto. "Bore Snakes" are the bomb.
    a bore snake dont get carbon or copper out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    The ones I buy have one or two bronze brushes woven into the mesh. Put some Hoppes #9 on it and go to town.

Boolit Master
    I use borteck eliminator on a patch. Gets it all out with a Nilon brush.

Use a proper rod guide and clean from the muzzle.
    Cognitive Dissident

I don't know if they will be flexible enough, but fiberglass ramrods for muzzleloader have a good bit of bend to them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

have a trapdoor on the way and was wondering if there was a flexible rod that would allow cleaning from the breech end and is there a bore guide for this style?.i also have a Pedersoli rolling block and was wonder what bore guide to use due to the center hammer being in the way even when at full cock? Perhaps there is a shorter version. Thanks
    I echo post #6 (iamashooter2) re the Otis system! I am generally "a-scared" (N Y term) of doing damage to bores -- 'specially the muzzle/crown -- with ANY rods -- on most all firearms, but focused on the old ones. My only modification vis the Otis is I use Butch's Bore Shine and/or Shooter's Choice instead of their cleaner. The Otis system cleans, imho, better than rods without fear of bore damage.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    A friend who is very knowledgable uses a boot lace pull through, a tight fitting patch, and Hoppes on a C Sharps 1874 in 45-100 he has had for years. This using black powder. He's getting ready to head back to Quiglely for the umpteenth time. His rifle has made a good account for him over the years.
    He stores the cleaning kit in a tin box. Gotta keep the boot lace and patches clean, and dust free.

Boolit Master

Find and buy a German WW2 or post war cleaning kit. They have a aluminum beaded chain pull that you can
    drop down the bore from the breech end and then you can put on patches, brushes, or whatever you want to.
    I have one hanging on my cleaning bench and use it quite often. The WW2 ones are kind of expensive but the
    post war East German ones you can find for under $5.00

Boolit Bub
    Get a good cleaning kit (https://gununiversity.com/best-gun-cleaning-kits/) and put the rod through from the muzzle, then apply brush/patch/cleaner and pull toward muzzle vs push from chamber end.

I also like the bore snake if only a light cleaning is needed. I dont think it would get a lot of heavy coper fouling out but quick and easy for light cleaning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearcricket View Post
    Sam
    It will also be soft enough to pick up grit and drag it down your bore. It will take a while to do damage, so it might not be a concern for you. But older firearms are made with softer steel, so they will wear quicker than a modern firearm would under the same circumstances. Some sort of guide would be a really good idea if you decide to do this, muzzle or breech. Would also apply to a brass cleaning rod, btw.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

A very nice pull thru can be made with a length of tygon tubing and a rod adapter end, Buy the rod adapter end and buy tubing it fits in snug and a small nut that gits the treaded make end. epoxy this in the end of the tube filling between nut and body to gain the most area possible. The knurled end makes a great surface for the epoxy and bonds good. let cure clean threads and your ready to go.

On rifles that are hard to breech clean I prefer cleaning from the muzzle with a good rod guide in a cradle with a insert or rag in the action and rifle upside down. A very simple cradle can be made from a card board box, cut a vee in each end for the rifle to sit in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    It's what I use to clean my 3 TDs. I use a cone brass rod guide that slips on the rod. That keeps the rod centered at the muzzle w/o any of the rod rubbing on the muzzle end.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast