Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaning oil caution!

Boolit Buddy

cleaning oil caution!

In Sept of 2022, I purchased a inexpensive single action .22, planning on having it to train my grandchildren on the proper handling of a handling of a handgun. At the same time I purchased a bottle of bio-degradable oil, advertised as useful for gun cleaning and "everything else". I put the revolver away planning on using it in the spring when one of my GC. was a little older. Last weekend I got the revolver out of the safe to use. The cylinder would not revolve. I had to disasemble the gun and use some good ole H#9, to clean the sticky gum off of the parts, and reassemble it.
    Nothing was damaged, BUT, I don't think that bio-degradable is a good oil to use on a firearm. It may have been just this particular brand, but be cautious of bio-degradable gun oils.
    I did find out that bio-degradable oil makes a wonderful penatrating oil, the best that I have ever found.
    BD

Like WD40, it's great for awhile. After the solvents & such evaporate and it turns to gum---- not so much.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

jmho - the WD40 does not turn to gum - the gum is the residual left when loosened by it + not properly flushed out or blown out with air pressure -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

The closest thing I use that is eco-friendly is Ballistol.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    The closest thing I use that is eco-friendly is Ballistol.
    +1!

Banned
    I've used WD-40 my entire life and also in the military. It's not as bad as it's made out to be on gun forums. I've never had it gum up.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I've used WD-40 my entire life and also in the military. It's not as bad as it's made out to be on gun forums. I've never had it gum up.
    It takes awhile. But if ya clean fairly often, it's fine.
    I've cleaned guns prior to going shooting, used WD40, then cleaned 'em again when I got home.
    However; I've also had guns in the back of the safe that never came out for a couple years or so.

In our climate--- What's left after that long is a rather firm sticky orange goo.
    It cleans right off & out, but synthetic car motor oil didn't seem to do that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    10w-30 in a squirt can works about as good as anything.

i knew a police armorer with over 3 decades in a 120 + man dept who has never had a problem with WD40 gumming, but also stated that it is not a great lubricant -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    10w-30 in a squirt can works about as good as anything.
    Automatic transmission fluid is better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    i knew a police armorer with over 3 decades in a 120 + man dept who has never had a problem with WD40 gumming, but also stated that it is not a great lubricant -
    That's right, it's not a good lubricant. Think of it close to kerosene.

ATF 50/50 mix with kerosene/ diesel. Pretty good stuff for guns, shop, rust removal, all sorts of things. As also mentioned, Ballistol, been good for maybe 120 years. Lots of really good lubes available these days. Some are $$$.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Water dispersant formula number 40 (WD40) was invented to displace moisture out of crevices and tight places on Atlas ICBM's. Back in the days when we had to duck & cover under our school desks to protect ourselves from a thermonuclear bomb going off right above out pea-brained little heads, America had an arsenal of retaliation standing by, but generally not too far from the coasts. Because of this fog, rain, ocean spray, and other sources of water would try it's best to infiltrate into any opening on our missiles. (Obviously it was communist water) It's both hard and dangerous to take apart a nuclear missile so you can wipe the water out of it, but at the same time you don't want wiring and valves and stuff to rust. So, how to keep Amageddon's hammer in tip-top shape without having to take anything apart? Just spray something in there that repels the water, yet won't damage all the sensitive stuff. Apparently they must have tried 39 other things before they came up with WD40. It was never intended to be used as a lubricant. Yes it has a thousand and one uses, but it was originally a military asset invented for the cold war. I think that WD40 and Tang were the only good things that came out of that stare down.
    Last edited by 405grain; 06-02-2023 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    i use synthetic 0w-20 motor oil for lube and protection after cleaning, clean metal with wd40 or similar, but i clean plastic with gun scrubber, to scared to us anything else that might melt plastic. really want to try balistol though.

Boolit Buddy
    I dunno', but a bio-degradable oil is likely vegetable oil.

For oils I use either 0W20 Mobil 1 synthetic. Or Ed's Red of 1/3 each: kero, mineral spirits, ATF. For a light grease, Redline CV2 does the trick (again, a synthetic).

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    like many; i don't like wd-40. so, after some of the above comments; i decided to do a test. i sprayed a quantity in the bottom of a aluminum can. i marked the date and will at some point (??) post results

That's right, it's not a good lubricant. Think of it close to kerosene.
    WD-40 principle ingredient is plain old Stoddard Solvent. The stuff we used in Safety-Kleen tanks. The formula was developed to displace water from surfaces. Never intended to be a lubricant. Even kerosene would be better.

+1 on ATF as a gun oil, preferably as a component of Ed's Red. I've used nothing else for over 25 years.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    On going testing of WD40 and other rust preventives.

https://youtu.be/3CcO-jiIKa4
    quando omni flunkus moritati

I used Singer sewing machine oil for years but Ballistol has replaced it as my #1 gun lubricant. It is great on leather too!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    For guns I use a lot, Ed's Red lube is what I use, simply because I use Ed's Red for cleaning guns as well.

For guns such as my pistols that don't get fired much I use one of the spray on dry lubes. Rust is not an issue where I live but dust is

I never use WD40 as a lube. I do use it as a penetrating oil. The parts eventually get cleaned of all residue and a lube made for the application is applied.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast