Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD Military vs Ruger STD

Boolit Buddy
    Another item to think about is the trigger pull. the HS will be somewhere between pretty good and incredible. Most Rugers need a good bit of trigger work. The trigger pull alone will make the HS worth having. One magazine better come with it, a get spare, if it's offered.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If plinking and target shooting, my choice is the High Standard. Mine would put 50 shots into under 1.5" at 50 yards. I would not want to carry it where it could get dinged up or exposed to the elements.
    My Model B was carried for four overseas tours in a full flap holster. It twice survived complete saltwater immersion. It was field expediently cleaned by removing the grips, rinsing in hot soapy water, then being rinsed again in AvGas and then again in diesel. Upon arrival ashore dad had armorer strip, clean, lube and reassemble. This was before ultrasonic cleaners.

When I inherited the pistol I had gunsmith at Quantico gun vault ultrasonically clean, disassemble, card some old rust out of crevices and replace springs. Gun never quit functioning, but now is ready to go another 50 years.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I see some guys complaining about not being able to find spare mags for the High Standards. I've had not problems finding them; either originals or after-markets. And that includes the .22 short mags for the Olympic. The only problem is the prices of original mags. They are out there, but they aren't cheap. And another thing.... some mags have the button on the 'WRONG side". YOU CAN SWITCH THE SIDES! Just push the follower all the way to the bottom then pull out the button and reinsert it on the other side! The mags are made so you can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    High Standard Magazines are the rub in that equation. They are relatively scarce on the ground and costly when found.
    That is true for the pre-WW2 models but the later military grip modern mags are easy to find and affordable. Key is knowing how to adjust HS mags for reliable feeding. The info is out there as are the tools. There is a learning curve. I lucked out having a dozen mags tweaked by the pistol team armorers at the Quantico gun vault so that I have a minimum of three for each pistol. My B-US mags after armorer tweaking also work in my 1937 and 1934 Colt Woodsmans.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've never owned a HS, I have had a few MK 2 Rugers. Nice guns, never had issue with them really. I really enjoyed my Browning Challenger and Medalists much more. Very fine guns, but when money crunch time came along, they were sold as to preserve the best one in the stable. Hands down favorite one for me has been my S&W M41.

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I had one for a spell. I figured CCI Standard Velocity would be very accurate. But mine appeared to be set up for high velocity 22LR and would not cycle with standard velocity. CE, what ammo did you use?
    Notation on target indicates it was fired with Eley Standard. Also accurate and reliable with Eley Practice, Club or Sport. Of US ammo CCI Standard Velocity and Green Tag are most accurate in mine. Expect the pistol team armorers at Quantico adjusted for standard velocity. The HV stuff cycles OK but opens groups over 1-1/2" at 25 yards sand bagged. FYI best grouping is with ammo producing 1000+/-30 fps from the 6-3/4" barrel. Below 900 fps will not cycle 100% and you might get 1 bobble in a ten-shot string.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Notation on target indicates it was fired with Eley Standard. Also accurate and reliable with Eley Practice, Club or Sport. Of US ammo CCI Standard Velocity and Green Tag are most accurate in mine. Expect the pistol team armorers at Quantico adjusted for standard velocity. The HV stuff cycles OK but opens groups over 1-1/2" at 25 yards sand bagged. FYI best grouping is with ammo producing 1000+/-30 fps from the 6-3/4" barrel. Below 900 fps will not cycle 100% and you might get 1 bobble in a ten-shot string.
    "Expect the pistol team armorers at Quantico adjusted for standard velocity. "
    From researching the Model "B", it appeared that one thing a non-gunsmith should not do was tinker with the slide; so I left well enough alone.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    "Expect the pistol team armorers at Quantico adjusted for standard velocity. "
    From researching the Model "B", it appeared that one thing a non-gunsmith should not do was tinker with the slide; so I left well enough alone.
    Suppressed Hi-Standards often have the slide machined. drilled and tapped to facilitate weights to mitigate slide velocity to compensate for various ammo as needed due to the suppressor. Normally 5, 10 and 12 gram weights were furnished. My slide is not modified, instead spring swap was made to function with subsonic ammo.

To find high velocity which likely will shoot well, measure bullet diameter in front of the case and select an unplated load with wax or grease lubricant which measures .224" diameter or greater.

RWS Biathalon is splendid if you can find any, but some lots of CCI Blazer are quite accurate and gave 1180 fps from my 6-3/4" pistol. I avoid shooting a lot of it to avoid battering the slide stop, due to the target spring swap.

My HD Military requires high velocity to cycle reliably and loves CCI Blazer.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-04-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Suppressed Hi-Standards often have the slide machined. drilled and tapped to facilitate weights to mitigate slide velocity to compensate for various ammo as needed due to the suppressor. Normally 5, 10 and 12 gram weights were furnished. My slide is not modified, instead spring swap was made to function with subsonic ammo.

To find high velocity which likely will shoot well, measure bullet diameter in front of the case and select an unplated load with wax or grease lubricant which measures .224" diameter or greater.

RWS Biathalon is splendid if you can find any, but some lots of CCI Blazer are quite accurate and gave 1180 fps from my 6-3/4" pistol. I avoid shooting a lot of it to avoid battering the slide stop, due to the target spring swap.

My HD Military requires high velocity to cycle reliably and loves CCI Blazer.
    Picture of my Model "B". It was not terribly accurate; so I traded it off for a S&W Victory in 38/200 - 38S&W. Following a pattern, it did not turn out to be very accurate either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Standard Model B - 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	314764
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I have both and if something breaks the Ruger is much much easier to get parts for. I like my HD better but it comes down to parts.

Boolit Grand Master
    They made a quarter million HD Militaries and at least one was run thru a “wear out” test 60-70 years ago, and it went through hundreds of thousands of rounds without any significant breakage. The only repairs I ever had to do on any (back when I collected the “Letter Series” High Standards) usually had to do with somebody putting one back together wrong or something similar. It’s been many years since I spent time fooling with them, but I wouldn’t worry about wearing one out.

About that time I had a couple of sixties or seventies vintage Ruger Standard Models. When assembled correctly they were as reliable as a freight train and IMHO at least nearly as attractive!

JMHO, of course and YMMV!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

HD Military vs Ruger STD

HS, hands down.

Timely post because I need (want) a High Standard .22.

In my foolish youth, when bigger was always better, I let both an HD and a Supermatic Citation slip through my hands.

@Outpost75
    What’re your thoughts on which would make the best field pistol?

Among the High Standards, that is.
    Last edited by Jtarm; 06-11-2023 at 04:40 PM.

I have several Hi-Standard Field King, Sport King, Model B US, HD Military. All good.
    I favor the longer barrel guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12