Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD Military vs Ruger STD

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

HD Military vs Ruger STD

I'm on a nostalgia trip and can really only afford one or the other at this time. Both have an equal nostalgic value to me so I am torn as to which one to get now. I am leaning toward the HD but every time I get ready to "pull the trigger", pun intended, I start to rethink it and everything goes back to square one.

I have quite a bit of experience with the HS guns so the usual complaints are of little consequence to me.

Ruger ticked me off many years ago so I'm reluctant to buy any Ruger but in this case I would make an exception since the STD is one heck of a good little gun.

Which would you choose and why?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

The High Standard will probably out shoot the Ruger but the Ruger will be handier.
    Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One now, one later?

DG

Boolit Master
    From my point of view, the choice between the two would depend on how your selection would most be used. If you are strictly a target shooter the HD would be best. If you plan to holster carry afield the Ruger would be better.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My field gun is a Hi-Standard Model B which has seen both WW2 and Vietnam service as an aircrew survival gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HiStdModBwithEleyStandard.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	314676
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

usage ? target shooting, plinking, field use, or ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    If plinking and target shooting, my choice is the High Standard. Mine would put 50 shots into under 1.5" at 50 yards. I would not want to carry it where it could get dinged up or exposed to the elements.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If plinking and target shooting, my choice is the High Standard. Mine would put 50 shots into under 1.5" at 50 yards. I would not want to carry it where it could get dinged up or exposed to the elements.
    Kinda mirrors my thoughts.

Boolit Master

We had an HD when I was a kid. Never quite fit My hand. The Ruger did. My MK II Target will group 10 shots under an inch at 25yds. I don't think it's that heavy for holster carry. Had it since the MK II came out. Works as great as ever.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

for prolong hard use i would go with the ruger because of price + parts availability -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

HD Military
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Grand Master
    I grew up shooting Dad's third model Colt Woodsman that I could cut blackberry briars with, so the Ruger's never really caught on with me.

My snake killing gun for lawn mowing is a twin to Outpost75's Model B. That long barrel is not as awkward as it looks, and in an old Bauer Bros holster isn't bulky either.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have 2 High Standards, an Olympic and a Model B US. I don't have any Rugers now. Got rid of them. I just like the HSs better.

Boolit Grand Master
    High Standard Magazines are the rub in that equation. They are relatively scarce on the ground and costly when found.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'm a die in the wool Ruger collector & shooter. I also have a pretty fair bunch of High Standard .22's as well including (3) HD Military ones.
    Comparing the old HD,, to an old Ruger Standard, (pre MK series,) or even to a MK Standard,, I find that both of them to be quite good.

Since you say "Ruger ticked you off" I can understand your reluctance. However,, The Standard even after they started the MK series,, is long out of production, so Ruger won't be getting any of your money etc.

I would recommend (if you haven't already) try handling one of each to see which one fits YOUR hands the best. Both are very good shooters, and as with any firearm,, a lot of things also relate to ammo choices.

Maintenance. This is where the choice of a Ruger would edge out the HS. Many more readily available parts IF,, IF,, service were necessary. One of my HD's came to me because a previous owner had improperly tried to take the gun apart,, and it was not able to function correctly. And getting it apart was a HUGE problem that took me a LONG time,, and then finding the correct take down lever was a PIA.
    Rugers also enjoy a bit of a "fun" in their re-assembly if a person fails to understand how to do it properly. But a lost piece,, (as was the case with the HD,) won't lock up the gun. And Ruger parts are much more readily available.

Bottom line,, figure out which one fits YOU,, and then decide. And if both feel good,, then look at maintenance & upkeep.

I treasure my HS .22 handguns,, but I also enjoy my Ruger MK series guns.

Neither, both of my Ruger's are Mk III 22/45's. Grip angle fits me better. Both wear a Red Dot sight and both will shoot tighter groups than I can hold.

10 rounds inside a bottle cap at 20 feet without touching the edges is easy. Never had a need to go further but I know they would.

Magazine's are not expensive and are dead easy to maintain.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

i HAVE stone mint 1946 made HD Military (probably unfired) that has the lightest trigger I have ever seen on a factory gun. The quality of work and the blueing is better than you could hope.
    I think I will take it out and start shooting it. I have a suppressed Ruger but I have to say the HS simply feels better in my hand.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My field gun is a Hi-Standard Model B which has seen both WW2 and Vietnam service as an aircrew survival gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HiStdModBwithEleyStandard.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	314676
    I had one for a spell. I figured CCI Standard Velocity would be very accurate. But mine appeared to be set up for high velocity 22LR and would not cycle with standard velocity. CE, what ammo did you use?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Nostalgia purchases don't have to make sense. . .

The HD has sex appeal, but logistically, a Ruger makes much more sense than any Colt or High Standard with a lot more parts and mags on the ground, to say nothing of still-existing customer support. A MKII or MKII-era 22/45 with its last-round hold-open and no lawyer safeties would get my vote. The tail-end of MKII production was even drilled, tapped, & included a Weaver optic rail if those are selling points to you.

If your crush is truly between a High Standard vs. an early Ruger Std/MKI, then treat them as targets of opportunity, with the HS being the much rarer target, and the Ruger being the city bus that you can afford to wait for the next.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

ADMIN

the HS is harder to locate and the Ruger MK1 standard is pretty common.
    On the ruger there isn't much difference between MK 1,2,3 so you can purchase a later model and have the same experence.
    I can't speak about the HS as I have never shot one much seen one in person.

So based on the above responses its gonna depend on how many magazines you can get with the HS vs the Ruger.
    I personally have about 15 Ruger MK1 mags so they are easy to get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast