RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Marlin 1881 in. .40 cal coming up on auction next week

Boolit Mold

Marlin 1881 in. .40 cal coming up on auction next week

It appears to be in fine shape with a pristine bore according to Milestone Auctions. I think the caliber is .40-60 (.40-65?). Any idea what a fair bid price would be on this? I'd like to hunt with one of these early guns and I'm guessing the caliber will suffice for deer. Thanks.

That's a fine rifle, though I haven't saw this one you speak of.
    From research in the past, I believe 40/65W will work, it just had a bit lighter bullet than the Marlin loading.
    And yes, plenty for deer
    I've saw them go for 2k, but at an auction, it all depends on what everybody involved wants to spend.

Boolit Master

I just put a liner in one last week, used the 40-65 W reamer.

Boolit Buddy

That Marlin 1881 is a fine rifle. I have one in 40-60 Marlin. Will bring about $2500. Shot a nice 8 point at over 150 yards with my old rifle. I shoot Hornady 300 grain .405 Winchester bullets with a full case of IMR 3031. But first you will have to ream the neck of the chamber. The 40-60 Marlin used a healed bullet. You cannot shoot groove diameter cast boolits in the Marlin 40-60 unless you open up the neck. I have a neck reamer and a 40-65 Winchester chamber reamer. Probably can fix you up if you score the rifle. Marlin really scooped Winchester in 1882! Winchester bought John Brownings patents and subsequently turned out the Winchester 1886. Marlin had four good years before the 86' Winchester came out. The Marlin 1881 was also chambered in 45-70 Govt. I would like to find a nice one. Hey good luck!

First off, Don't advertise a link to an auction gun you want to buy. You're going to get out bid now for sure. First I've heard of healed bullets in 40 60M. I have Marlins in 40 60 and a 40 82. they both slug at .410. They have tight necks, I can only chamber a .408 bullet. I cast with 20 to 1 and shoot black powder. The bullets punch right up and both guns are accurate.

Boolit Buddy

I have a few original rounds of Marlin 40-60 Ammo. The ammo is just like 22 long rifle. That is a heeled bullet. My old 1881 Marlin slugs @ .412 The neck diameter was .437 dia. With .026" of case wall thickness, that adds up to .441 Reamed the neck to .444" Have over 300 40-65 Winchester cases from Starline. They work great! I size a 300gr cast boolit to ,415 and drive it with 27grs of 4198 Chronographs 1460 fps with 1 1/2" groups @ 50 yards. The gun really performs well with Hornady 300gr 405 Winchester jacketed flat points and 44grs of 3031 About 1810 fps. with 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

Boolit Grand Master

A little bit of a side trip here...

I have an 1881 Marlin in .45-70. It was given to me by a friend who had no use for it. It was missing the buttstock, which I am in the process of replacing, and the rear sight. Since original rear sights are rare I have put a Marbles rear sight on it for now. The bore is a bit rough but rifling appears to be fairly decent.

Once back in shooting shape I'd expect to get $1500 or so for it. If the bore was better then more like $2000. For 1991's in good shape inside and out the price goes up from there from what I have seen so far..

If mine doesn't shoot well then i'll get it lined to make a shooter out of it. Collector value of mine is likely gone because of the replacement buttstock. If all original it would be worth more.

As for the .40-60 Marlin and .40-65 Winchester... according to Cartridges of the World they are the same cartridge with different loadings. The cast bullet listed for the .40-60 Marlin is the Lyman 403170 260 gr. and for .40-65 Winchester it is the Lyman 403169 260 gr. Neither appears to be heeled.

Some links that may help if you are interested:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...an-Ideal-molds
    https://tecmagex.com/en/lyman-2-cavi...-240g-406.html
    https://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/IdealCN.pdf
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_B...40_caliber_403

Note that the Lyman page shows the 403169 as a 240 gr. boolit where all others say 260 gr.

The last link shows both being 260 gr. but with different nose shapes and again neither is heeled.

Longbow