Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flaring cases for cast boolits

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    For plain based cast bullets, you want the expander to be .002 smaller than the bullets you intend to use. Unless very hard bullets are used, the brass will swage down the base of the bullet with any smaller of an expander. This can cause inaccuracy and leading, especially if the entire base driving band is reduced in diameter.

For jacketed bullets, a smaller expander is okay since they cannot be swaged down by the brass.

Likewise, if you use a gas checked bullet, you can get away with a smaller expander because the gas check resists being swaged by the force of the brass case pressing against it from all sides. I use a lee 432-265-RF that is longer than any expander I have, that falls into this category. It shoots darn good though.

An M die or stepped expander has a short step just before the flared portion and creates a slight step inside the case about 1/10" tall. This step is generally .002 larger than the intended bullet diameter to be used.

Stepped expanders make seating bullets easier as they create a sort of funnel at the top of the case. When placed in the case, the bullet sets on a small ledge, keeping it aligned perfectly for the seating stem. They work well for not only cast bullets but for plain based jacketed bullets as well.
    ....and you said the key words there, Stepped expanders make seating the easier as they create a sort of funnel at the top of the case.

That is what lures and fools cast reloaders into thinking that M die is the holy grail and it really is not for the reasons I've explained. Hey when loading jacketed rifle bullets I love boat tail bullets as they set in the case mouths nice after you charged the case with powder. Or look at the sides divided over bevel base cast pistol/revolver bullets. Everyone is always looking for the easiest way out with necessarilly isn't the best way. Sorry for the rant, but the myth that the M die is the best must be stopped!

Boolit Grand Master

Just my experience; I reloaded my cast bullets for many years before I got an expander (Lyman M die). I just flared the case mouth. I used common flaring/powder through dies, home made tapered brass rods, chisel heads even 30-06 dases and a few other things to put a flare in a case mouth. My BHN ran from 10 to about 15 depending on caliber and use, and I rarely seated any crooked, shaved any nor swaged down any of my cast bullets. I have told newer casters to use as much flare as needed now, and worry about case life later and the flare is removed by the crimp die.

Seems like today the forums are recommending more and more complicated methods and more tools and more warnings to a new caster that complicate the whole process. I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy and only been casting since 1990 and some of my guns have not seen a jacketed bullet as long as they have been in my possession...

Eazy does it.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Measure your boolits, seat them in your brass, pulls the boolits out, then remeasure. If the measured diameter has shrunken and is now smaller than what is ideal for your setup, then you need a bigger expander. I imagine you’re shooting some pretty hard lead out of the 460, so you might not need an expander.

Banned
    I use RCBS expanders that also flare (I make many myself on my lathe) and expand around 1 1/2 thousands under my cast bullet size as mentioned cast bullets, especially the softer alloys, are delicate and the case mouth can actually size them down. The bullet diamter plays an important role when it's traversing from the case mouth into the chamber throat and leade, which is important to centering the bullet in the bore.

Boolit Master
    While all comments from the simple things to the complicated is great advice.
    Try the simple things first and let the target be the arbiter of the results unless one just wants to do the more complicated just to feel good about what they do.
    Occams Razor then proceed from there.

Boolit Master

When I flare the case mouth, I flare only enough that the flat base barely clears the inside edge of the case mouth and goes in to a depth of 1-2 hundredths. That is normally sufficient to allow the bullet to seat without shaving any lead. It also allows for a slight roll crimp without shaving. It has worked for me for the past 53 years and I'm not going to change now. Plain base bullets are all I shoot and I have no problems with bulged crimps or bullet movement due to recoil, not even in my lever actions.

Boolit Master
    Glad to see someone that likes simple.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Glad to see someone that likes simple.
    Here's simple for you. Size your case, expand/flare it with RCBS expander, prime it, charge it with powder, seat bullet....viola your finished.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Here's simple for you. Size your case, expand/flare it with RCBS expander, prime it, charge it with powder, seat bullet....viola your finished.
    That is simple. I've used RCBS dies for many years.
    Occams Razor.
    Also have Hornady dies that work splendidly and Lee with no problems. Also Lyman.
    Simple is as simple does.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 06-04-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12