Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Hornady Custom Grade dies

Hornady Custom Grade dies

I just bought a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies for 300AAC. Plan is to shoot powder coated cast in a 1 in 8 twist Zastava M48 (mini-mauser) I rebarreled.

Just wondering if anyone has tried cast with these dies and what your opinion of them is.

Thanks for looking.

Not that cal. But of the few others I have, they do OK.

If you really want to go fancy, get the Reddings.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I wasn't concerned with getting anything special, it's just what I could find when I was out looking. Never tried a die set like this before so just curious what other's experience with them have been.

Just based on appearance, the sizing die appears to be very similar to a Lee. The seater die is not like any I've seen before.

My knee-jerk reaction is that I think the seater would be more consistent because the way it's made it will contact the bullet on the ogive and never on the nose. However, since that means a small area of contact it could result it some nose deformity on a lead bullet but that's simply speculation at this point. Won't know that for sure until I try it.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 06-01-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Banned
    The one thing I hate about Hornady dies is the seater die. It has that floating bullet cylinder and it's all well and fine with jacketed, BUT when you use cast the bullet sort of sticks in it and when you lower the ram that FLIMSY little spring lets the guts fall and and most the time it ruins that clip. Piss poor system and I remedied mine.

Also have a set of Hornady 7.65 Argentine dies where the sizer dies doesn't size the case necks down enough. Okay for cast, but not jacketed.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    The one thing I hate about Hornady dies is the seater die. It has that floating bullet cylinder and it's all well and fine with jacketed, BUT when you use cast the bullet sort of sticks in it and when you lower the ram that FLIMSY little spring lets the guts fall and and most the time it ruins that clip. Piss poor system and I remedied mine.

Also have a set of Hornady 7.65 Argentine dies where the sizer dies doesn't size the case necks down enough. Okay for cast, but not jacketed.
    Something like this is exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for the heads-up.

You will need a Lyman M die, to open the case mouth for cast.

Boolit Master
    Have them in 9mm and 45 ACP and no issues with either.

Boolit Master
    Have at least 8 sets & no issues. Most of what I send down range is cast though not powder coated.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

RCBS more "custom" then Hornady. imo.

Custom
    Not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rofl.gif  

Banned
    The other thing wrong with Hornady's seater dies, and I've talked to them and they are very aware of it and will send you a replace bullet seater cylinder, is that in the larger caliber they crack! The reason for that with the larger calibers is that bullet seating cylinder has thinner walls the larger the caliber is.

Since we are talking about seating bullets the best bullets seater for the money is Forster's Benchrest bullet seaters. Yes if you use them for cast you have to open the hole bored through them up for the fatter cast bullets. Basically what they end up being is the old LEE LOADER type hand dies except set up in your press. Here's a tip: If you need multiple Benchrest Seaters you just call them and order the inserts, not the entire dies. I'll also tell you that there are basically two type, one for long cartridges and one for the shorter cartridges. So you have two bodies and then order the inserts that you need. Unfortunately when Forster bought Bonanza they didn't keep the pistol/revolver dies and thus don't offer any. The only thing wrong with the Benchrest seater is that you can't crimp your cases. Now y'all know the truth.

The other thing wrong with Hornady's seater dies, and I've talked to them and they are very aware of it and will send you a replace bullet seater cylinder, is that in the larger caliber they crack! The reason for that with the larger calibers is that bullet seating cylinder has thinner walls the larger the caliber is.

Since we are talking about seating bullets the best bullets seater for the money is Forster's Benchrest bullet seaters. Yes if you use them for cast you have to open the hole bored through them up for the fatter cast bullets. Basically what they end up being is the old LEE LOADER type hand dies except set up in your press. Here's a tip: If you need multiple Benchrest Seaters you just call them and order the inserts, not the entire dies. I'll also tell you that there are basically two type, one for long cartridges and one for the shorter cartridges. So you have two bodies and then order the inserts that you need. Unfortunately when Forster bought Bonanza they didn't keep the pistol/revolver dies and thus don't offer any. The only thing wrong with the Benchrest seater is that you can't crimp your cases. Now y'all know the truth.
    If your case necks are properly sized and annealed every 3-4 sizings I can't imagine how you're cracking a seating die insert. It shouldn't take that much pressure to seat a bullet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If your case necks are properly sized and annealed every 3-4 sizings I can't imagine how you're cracking a seating die insert. It shouldn't take that much pressure to seat a bullet.
    I'll try again, the 45 Colt and especially the 45-70 bullet guide/crimer inserts are very thin in those calibers. Yes you are correct in what you said, but even though it doesn't feel like much when your seating that bullet and crimping, it's a lot more then you think. Especially the crimping part. Take for an example the RCBS Rockchucker started as a bullet swage. It has a lot of force at the top of it's ram stroke and the leverage mechanical ratio is so high you perseive the seating/crimping to be very easy. Give Hornady tech a call and ask them if they've had any cracking of those parts particularly in the two calibers I mentioned. It could be that they changed the material by now, but that little spring clip at the mouth of the die that holds the gizmo from falling out is still a ***.

Banned
    I'll try again, the 45 Colt and especially the 45-70 bullet guide/crimer inserts are very thin in those calibers. Yes you are correct in what you said, but even though it doesn't feel like much when your seating that bullet and crimping, it's a lot more then you think. Especially the crimping part. Take for an example the RCBS Rockchucker started as a bullet swage. It has a lot of force at the top of it's ram stroke and the leverage mechanical ratio is so high you perseive the seating/crimping to be very easy. Give Hornady tech a call and ask them if they've had any cracking of those parts particularly in the two calibers I mentioned. It could be that they changed the material by now, but that little spring clip at the mouth of the die that holds the gizmo from falling out is still a ***.
    Read this Hannibal:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/arc...p/t-57531.html

Boolit Master
    I’m not doubting what you are saying but I’ve loaded a ton of cast 45 Colt, 44 magnum with Hornady seater die and no issue but then again I only seat with it and crimp with another.

Banned
    Well I'll tell you another thing that is annoying about their seaters. That floating bullet guide hangs down so far on the rifle dies that it's a pita to get your case and bullet in there. You have to lift it up some in many instances. It's a good idea terribly executed. As I said when you start going to the smaller calibers that floating bullet seater has a lot more metal around it and they are stronger.

Boolit Buddy
    I love Hornady TiN sizing dies, I had a set of 32 S&W long and they were great. I didn't like the seater for loading cast, as it's a pain to clean. At least with RCBS I can jam two lock nuts together and screw out the seating stem, clean the die and stem, and reassemble and not lose my settings. The expander in a three die set could also be difficult to clean if you ever needed to.

The are great for 9.3x57 Mauser. They have a nice tapered expander that converts the 8x57 Brass to 9.3x57 easily. Since it's a two die set, no issue with the expander since it's in the size die.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j4570 View Post
    I love Hornady TiN sizing dies, I had a set of 32 S&W long and they were great. I didn't like the seater for loading cast, as it's a pain to clean. At least with RCBS I can jam two lock nuts together and screw out the seating stem, clean the die and stem, and reassemble and not lose my settings. The expander in a three die set could also be difficult to clean if you ever needed to.

The are great for 9.3x57 Mauser. They have a nice tapered expander that converts the 8x57 Brass to 9.3x57 easily. Since it's a two die set, no issue with the expander since it's in the size die.
    I have the Hornady sizer dies in both 35 Whelen and 9.3x57 and I really like them because of that long tapered expander/decapper you mention. I only bought them as that was all I could get. Glad I did, but I use Forster Benchrester seaters for both.

Boolit Master
    If you have to use enough force to crack a die seating bullets then something is wrong! Seating cast bullets especially since you have already expended the case mouth for the bullet to seating pressure is minimal. I just seated 1,000 357 magnum bullets using old fashioned lube and I had no problems at all. Even with the fact that I had some lube on the face of some of the bullets due to issues with my lube-sizer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    If you have to use enough force to crack a die seating bullets then something is wrong! Seating cast bullets especially since you have already expended the case mouth for the bullet to seating pressure is minimal. I just seated 1,000 357 magnum bullets using old fashioned lube and I had no problems at all. Even with the fact that I had some lube on the face of some of the bullets due to issues with my lube-sizer.
    Well let's clear up what you said. It's not the die that was cracked, it was their floating bullet seater. As i mentioned they are very thing in the 45 calibers. When Hornady's seate die works correctly, it's good, but getting it to do so is the test. They definitely need improvement. It's all over the net about that flimsy retaining spring and bullets sticking in the floating bullet seater, bad crimps, mangled case mouths, etc. I assure you I wasn't doing anything wrong. Was loading one day and noticed that floating seater was cracked. Called Hornady and they sent me another one, no charge. While I had them on the phone I asked about it and they said they get quite a few that do that and usually in the larger caliber like mine.