Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block underlever

Rolling Block underlever

Well I've been holding off posting pictures of this rifle until I knew the deal was done. Since the seller sent me pictures a couple weeks ago, and I got the tracking number this morning showing it's shipped; I figured I'd post some pictures he sent me prior to my purchase.
    This is a #1 Rolling Block, built to copy a Gove style underlever rifle. Can't give much in the way of details until it arrives next week, as the seller didn't know anything about it either. My hope is some details will be revealed once I remove forearm and buttstock and hopefully find some markings.
    It appears to be a Sporting Action, or someone's nicely reshaped receiver to emulate a Sporting Action rifle. The barrel is a false muzzle full octagon barrel in .32-40 chambering. Wood is very nice high grade, and appears to have been expertly fitted and finished. The front sight is a nice windage globe, but no rear sight. I've got several long range and mid range tang sights, so one will find a home once I have it here.
    I got more pictures, but these were the best 3 I got for now, so more once it lands here, and I can take them.

Boolit Master
    That's an interesting rifle for sure - very nice case hardening on the receiver. Now, just what is that "underlever" you talk about? There seems to be a underlever in the top photo. Tell us more, and I'm looking forward to more photos.

You do find the most unusual stuff! Keep 'em coming!
    Cognitive Dissident

Really nice and unusual rifle ! I will like to know how the lever actuates the breech block if that’s what it does ? That is a beautiful sporting rifle.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never seen one in real life, but the pictures and drawings of them I have seen are interesting.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Never saw one of those. Conspicuously absent is the "ear" on the breech block. Very interested in what you find once it arrives.

Guessing you cock the hammer as usual and then work the lever to rotate the breechblock to load or eject an empty case. Would make for a very positive ejection. Sharp looking rifle. I’ve had a couple of rollers over the years. A great singleshot.

From what I've seen in only one under lever Rolling Block Gove clone, the hammer needed to be cocked, and then opening the lever worked just like opening the block on a stock Rolling Block. Then once the case was extracted you chamber a round and close the lever. It's ready to shoot just like a stock Rolling Block, so if you were not ready to shoot yet, you'd lower the hammer to half cock, or aim and fire if ready to shoot.
    The design really doesn't change how the Rolling Block functions, it simply gives more leverage to the block to open vs. the small spur the block had. To me it's just the cool factor that a Rolling Block converted to under lever Gove style has. The side levers do the same with less leverage, and are a very simple conversion compared to this design, but they never seemed as exotic to my eyes.
    If all goes well it should be here by Wed. according to tracking, but might get here Tue. if it goes as it has in the past. Fingers crossed it wont get stolen, or damaged on the way! Haven't had good luck with any shippers!

PS-It's a single set trigger also!

never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    That one is done more like a true Gove with the pewter tip, and full length wiping rod.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    Good photos - does the under lever cock the hammer as well as open the breech block?

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Good photos - does the under lever cock the hammer as well as open the breech block?
    None I've seen cock the hammer. They only open the breech block and extract the shell.

I can't wait to see it in person!
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I can't wait to see it in person!
    It's almost here! And hopefully in one piece! Tracking shows it hit Eastern Oregon at 7:30 this morning, so guessing it might be here Mon., or Tue. for sure!

Well this has been an ordeal, and hopefully it's over today! After making the deal to buy the under lever Gove style Rolling Block, I got a tracking number from the seller, and it was a FedEx number. Not excited about him using FedEx, but no choice on my part. He had told me he'd ship USPS, but for whatever reason he didn't.
    So I watched as it traveled along really well, and got detailed updates along the way. Then Sunday it showed it arrived in Eastern Oregon, and Monday morning at 2:50 AM it was at my local FedEx. Then one minute later it showed arriving again? Then that night at 12:00 midnight it arrived again! Then it showed delivery yesterday, but nothing came. Suddenly yesterday afternoon it showed "no delivery date available".
    I called customer no service and got some guy in India who told me they had no info, and it was still on schedule for Wed. the 7th. When I tried asking why it arrived 3 times, and had gone from the 7th, to the 6th, and then to No Delivery Scheduled, he acted like he didn't hear me and simply said it was still on track, and "have a good day" and hung up.
    This morning I got an update telling me it was "out for delivery", so we'll see how that goes. FedEx is still as screwed up as ever, so no telling.

Yikes! Hope it comes soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Yikes! Hope it comes soon!
    I just hope it gets here, and is in good condition!

Boolit Grand Master
    good luck.

Just for fun, here's FedEx's detailed tracking for the package. Note the Wed. at 12:37 PM note about a "recipient security delay"? What the heck that is I have no idea? We've got some city street repairs on the main drag about 6 blocks away, but not on our local streets. I think driver is simply either skipping large areas, or sick, and nobody is doing the route?
    I'm waiting for a special order car part via FedEx, and it was supposed to arrive yesterday also, but local parts store said FedEx didn't deliver it either.

Monday, 6/5/2023
    2:49 AM
    In transit
    TROUTDALE, OR
    2:50 PM
    In transit
    TROUTDALE, OR
    Tuesday, 6/6/2023
    12:00 AM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    TROUTDALE, OR
    Wednesday, 6/7/2023
    4:54 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    TROUTDALE, OR
    4:55 AM
    TROUTDALE, OR
    4:56 AM
    Shipment arriving On-Time
    TROUTDALE, OR
    5:02 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    TROUTDALE, OR
    12:37 PM
    Delivery exception
    Recipient location security delay. Delivery will be reattempted.
    TROUTDALE, OR
    12:38 PM
    Delay
    Package delayed
    TROUTDALE, OR
    4:41 PM
    TROUTDALE, OR
    Thursday, 6/8/2023
    1:13 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    TROUTDALE, OR
    1:14 AM
    TROUTDALE, OR
    1:20 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    TROUTDALE, OR

Reminds me of Christmas when NORAD is tracking Santa. Hope the sleigh comes soon with the present.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast