RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cool new tools.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Ryobi 40 volt 16" chain saw with 4ah batteries. I cut up a 16" diameter tree on 2 batteries... 2' pieces for the fire pit. Soft wood tree(boxelder) though. Haven't tested it on oak! Boxelder is great in the fire pit after drying 2 years. Faster burn, not a lot of coals to deal with end of the night...

Also have a 40 volt Ryobi string trimmer. Can do my entire 1 acre yard on one battery.

Need to get the Ryobi 40 volt compressor.

Have the 20 volt shop vac from them, sweet piece of kit for cleaning the car! And the circular saw, drill, detail sander/trim cutter, grinder... standardized on one tool brand instead of 3 different brands and batteries! The little 1/4 inch impact just built 2 raised garden beds driving in 3" lag screws, battery lasted 2 days... I do need to order the 1/2 inch impact from them yet...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I love my Milwaukee battery tools. Jig saw, circular saw, and impact guns. Will never go back to corded or air unless forced into it.
    Been running a Echo battery chain saw for about 5 years. A battery charge lasts as long as I do. My Echo gas is a little quicker but can't deny how useful the battery saw is. Pull the trigger and go. It is my go to saw when I need to clear a trail or our driveway.
    yup to me in my old age i gave up burning wood with the cutting splitting stacking and going out on a below zero morning to fill the boiler. even when the son in law told me hed keep me in cut and split wood for free. still have to babysit the bioler though. id much rather walk over to the yhermostat . just like with gas saws. i gave everyone to the son in law because why would i need a big saw if im not making firewood? why would i want to cuss when i pull and pull on a gas saw. if youve never had one not start you just dont have any hours using them. electric 10in saw will take care of any yard work. if the battery goes flat and your to cheap to have extras then put it on the charger and take a break and have a cold one because you just did a bunch of cutting already. best thing is all you have to do is put a battery in it and pull the trigger. no hard starting, no having to let it warm uo, no farting with special gas you have to bring along. my buddy told me another good reason he has one. when he goes to wilderness camp sites he can sneak off in the woods and quietly cut up some downfalls for camp wood and nobody hears him doing it. but me? id rather go to the dentist then sit on a table in the woods twiddling my thumbs when theres things to do at home. but i grew up where about everthing is wilderness so i dont have that calling and if i did i sure would fullfill it in a camp groud where your nieghbor can hear everything you say or even worse to have some yuppy wilderness liberal actually want to talk to me or try to convince me to eat the fish i caught raw

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    amazes me any drill would run an ice auger. ive seen gas ones struggle at times. was the dewalt you had the brushless one or the cheaper brushed ones. ive seen other neg. comments on that brushed one. all my tools are now brushless. they have more power, never get hot and battery life is much better its why milwaukee 12v fuel tools will outperform the older 18v-20v brushed tools. gas and battery ice augers have a gear box to multiply torque. cant imagine how much abuse that would be on a drill! probably about like trying to drill i 4 in hole through 4 inches of steel. i think in that caseill stick with my gas one or buy the batttery ones with a built in motor and gearbox
    It was in a sale kit, impact driver and drill for $150 or so. My buddy runs and electric auger, I think it's 43 Volts or something odd. That Royobi will run with it up to 24" ice and at 0 F temps. I was shocked. I had been looking at a new gas auger and a friend told me about this set up at a party. I have run this for three years now on the original battery. We get smooth ice east of the continental divide and snow crusted wavy ice on the west, it doesn't care. You do need the side handle grip to be tight.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

got a link to it??

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    All is good until you have to replace the battery which cost as as much as you paid for the tool, you get the tool for nearly free. In reality you bought batteries with a finite life span to fill a landfill with heavy metal toxins.
    You could always pick a brand that offers a Lifetime Service Agreement and get free replacement batteries for the rest of your life.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Just MY experience: I went to Home Depot 12 years ago and purchased one of their Ryobi "kits" -- an 18V Drive, 18V Drill, flashlight, battery charger, battery, and case which had a msrp of $99.99. I opened a credit card (discount) plus used another in-mail discount postcard from them, to gimp out of the store with all for $58.99 USD!
    I did buy a 2nd battery so I might be using one as the other was charging. I gutted a 30' RV Trailer to bare metal, and cut and installed all walls and ceilings -- tongue & groove knotty pine -- with this set. In the decade since I hardly ever pull out/use my 110V tools. I should mention I purchased, too, their battery opperated 18V "Skil-saw" -- with which I did all the cutting.
    I'm still -after TWELVE years still on the original batteries, and all tools ('cept maybe the flashlight which I really have never needed to use...???) work as good as the moment I first used them!
    Maybe re this, I'm lucky?
    geo
    I'm with you, I went with Ryobi many years ago and zero problems. Figured since I had so many batteries for the Ryobi I recently bought a Ryobi impact gun.

Here's an interesting thing if some of you never heard of it. Makita has a battery micro wave! I believe it's only 500 watts though.

Banned

microwave would be cool. i wish dewalt would do a battery truck and car jack. with me shot body time on the ground working a jack is limited. a battery powered winch would be dandy too. ive got a cheap harbor freight boom on the back of my truck for loading deer with a crank winch off a boat trailer and dont want to bother running wires and drilling holes in the bed for a winch. even 1 3000lb one would work for that and with a quick mount could throw it in the side by side or jeep to pull a guy out backwards if you two blocked it. have winches on both but anyone that does serious off roading will tell you most times when you'd stuck you'd rather get winched back out then deeper into the mess. dewalt battery cooler would be handy on the side by side too
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 06-05-2023 at 08:23 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

microwave would be cool. i wish dewalt would do a battery truck and car jack. with me shot body time on the ground working a jack is limited. a battery powered winch would be dandy too. ive got a cheap harbor freight boom on the back of my truck for loading deer with a crank winch off a boat trailer and dont want to bother running wires and drilling holes in the bed for a winch. even 1 3000lb one would work for that and with a quick mount could throw it in the side by side or jeep to pull a guy out backwards if you two blocked it. have winches on both but anyone that does serious off roading will tell you most times when you'd stuck you'd rather get winched back out then deeper into the mess. dewalt battery cooler would be handy on the side by side too
    Friend welded a 2" hitch mount to his bed crane. Added a plate mounted to a piece of 2" square steel tube and one of these bolted to it https://www.northerntool.com/product...ire-rope-54127

He only uses it a few times a year, the winch rides inside the truck cab so weather isn't an issue...

Banned

really would like to avoid wires in the box and drilling hoes to run them

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You could always pick a brand that offers a Lifetime Service Agreement and get free replacement batteries for the rest of your life.
    Purchased a Ridgid Drill/Driver combo that I've used commercially for over 10 years. Have had battery's go bad twice and got new ones at no cost. Too bad their tool selection is not as good as Ryobi although I've heard they're made in the same factory.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I love my Milwaukee battery tools. Jig saw, circular saw, and impact guns. Will never go back to corded or air unless forced into it.
    Been running a Echo battery chain saw for about 5 years. A battery charge lasts as long as I do. My Echo gas is a little quicker but can't deny how useful the battery saw is. Pull the trigger and go. It is my go to saw when I need to clear a trail or our driveway.
    As do I vis Milwaukee. I bought their blower which has yet to let me down, and my favourites are a toss-up between their M12 AIR INFLATOR Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M12 inflator.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	314789 and their portable pruning saw -- the 6" HATCHET! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milwaukee Hatchet.JPG 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	314790 The inflator is awesome -- set the final pressure, push the button, and... it works! Never fails, and inflates sooooo many tires, I believe I only once (two totally flat hi-pressure (80psi) trailer tires) ran out of battery power.
    The HATCHET is still another story: A helper and I have cut, pretty much non-stop, ALL day -- on one single battery! The chain? I bought two spares, but after three years use I'm still on the first -- yet to be touched up or resharpened. (I have 14 Stihl petrol saws -- generally I need touch up chain with each second fuel fill-up on these -- more, should there be blown sand or ??? in the trunk/limb.)
    geo

I use by need. My sub contractors all carried Dewalt drill drivers, so bought a set, hand saw, saws-all, drill driver, two chargers and 8 batteries. Got the wife a toy, a Stihl trim saw and a leaf blower. My chain saws are all fuel powered Stihl of different sizes, Wood Boss to the 15 small trim head on a pole saw, plus two Stihl power heads with multiple attachments, brush blades to blowers.
    I carry a 1/2" drive 20V Dewalt impact wrench in my truck in a do-ha box under the back seat. Had a fellow open heart certificate holder pull up to help me a while back. They are great for a flat tire change, so got myself one... Use the tools that fit the need.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

My #1 tool which may work for you is the LEWIS WINCH. It is powered by a chainsaw attached t it -- I have a Stihl 039 on mine -- and it easily winches 4,000 pounds with a single line pull; 8,000 pounds using one snatch block! Amazon sells it -- https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Chainsa...6055024&sr=8-5 -- but I bought mine from Bailey's. A great product, and it has (for me) pulled entire (cut) trees and a zillion other apps. I have their ground anchor, 2" receiver hitch plate, too. Again, a marvelous product!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lewis winch.JPG 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	314791
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

Put a small battery on the bed crane... if you don't mind the cost a lithium is small and lightweight, heck may be able to find used tool batteries and chargers at Goodwill or on eBay. I have taken chargers apart so I just have the contact cup, added a positive and negative wire and then used it as a portable power pack to power radio gear for Field Day(emergency preparedness test for ham radio...). Had a bunch of charged batteries with and just swapped as needed. With some of the bigger 4AH batteries it would run the winch a couple times before needing a charge.

Sounded like you needed an intermittent use solution...

Option 2 is add 2 long wires with battery charger clamp ends to attach to the truck battery as needed. Disconnect and store when not in use. Anderson Powerpoles have a quick disconnect solution for that...

If I keep thinking I will probably come up with other ways to do it LOL Some trucks have power available in the trailer connector for battery charging brake batteries on a trailer... may be enough to power a small winch...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    As do I vis Milwaukee. I bought their blower which has yet to let me down, and my favourites are a toss-up between their M12 AIR INFLATOR Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M12 inflator.jpg 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	314789 and their portable pruning saw -- the 6" HATCHET! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milwaukee Hatchet.JPG 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	314790 The inflator is awesome -- set the final pressure, push the button, and... it works! Never fails, and inflates sooooo many tires, I believe I only once (two totally flat hi-pressure (80psi) trailer tires) ran out of battery power.
    The HATCHET is still another story: A helper and I have cut, pretty much non-stop, ALL day -- on one single battery! The chain? I bought two spares, but after three years use I'm still on the first -- yet to be touched up or resharpened. (I have 14 Stihl petrol saws -- generally I need touch up chain with each second fuel fill-up on these -- more, should there be blown sand or ??? in the trunk/limb.)
    geo
    i recently bought both of them. matter of fact two of the compressors. ones sitting in the side by side along with the little saw. the other compressor is in the truck. i also have a dewalt 20v compressor in the jeep but actually would buy another milwaukee 12v over the dewalt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Put a small battery on the bed crane... if you don't mind the cost a lithium is small and lightweight, heck may be able to find used tool batteries and chargers at Goodwill or on eBay. I have taken chargers apart so I just have the contact cup, added a positive and negative wire and then used it as a portable power pack to power radio gear for Field Day(emergency preparedness test for ham radio...). Had a bunch of charged batteries with and just swapped as needed. With some of the bigger 4AH batteries it would run the winch a couple times before needing a charge.

Sounded like you needed an intermittent use solution...

Option 2 is add 2 long wires with battery charger clamp ends to attach to the truck battery as needed. Disconnect and store when not in use. Anderson Powerpoles have a quick disconnect solution for that...

If I keep thinking I will probably come up with other ways to do it LOL Some trucks have power available in the trailer connector for battery charging brake batteries on a trailer... may be enough to power a small winch...
    using a jump starter on a winch is a great idea. i have 3 of them and for the month of crop damage i could carry all 3 and id bet that would handle even a 3 deer night

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I use by need. My sub contractors all carried Dewalt drill drivers, so bought a set, hand saw, saws-all, drill driver, two chargers and 8 batteries. Got the wife a toy, a Stihl trim saw and a leaf blower. My chain saws are all fuel powered Stihl of different sizes, Wood Boss to the 15 small trim head on a pole saw, plus two Stihl power heads with multiple attachments, brush blades to blowers.
    I carry a 1/2" drive 20V Dewalt impact wrench in my truck in a do-ha box under the back seat. Had a fellow open heart certificate holder pull up to help me a while back. They are great for a flat tire change, so got myself one... Use the tools that fit the need.
    i have a 12v dewalt 1/2 impact i saved when i gave my grandson my 18 and 12v dewalt tools. i keep it in the jeep with a set of thin wall impact socket. the jeep is all dewalt. impact, chain saw, compressor and jump starter. im just to old to have to walk 5 miles out of the woods anymore. it also has a 10k winch and a high lift jack and a small shovel. if all ove that doesnt get me out of the woods i can always use the glock!! but walking aintan option

Moderator Emeritus

got a link to it??
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...101B/320251471

They go on sale for $50 less around Christmas.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Purchased a Ridgid Drill/Driver combo that I've used commercially for over 10 years. Have had battery's go bad twice and got new ones at no cost. Too bad their tool selection is not as good as Ryobi although I've heard they're made in the same factory.
    This is Ridgid's 100 year anniversary, in the last few years their line has grown rather quickly.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...101B/320251471

They go on sale for $50 less around Christmas.
    more was interested in the auger bt found a bunch on ebay is there one thats better or ones to steer clear of

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast