RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments on Lee Products

Lee aims for price followed by function.
    I would say that’s a fair summary.

That doesn’t mean they can be made to run but they are certainly not as infallible as higher quality and priced machines.

Lee also aims in lot of directions, Dillon’s aim since day 1 was progressive presses.

Never had a lee press but have bought dies [hate the collet expander die], have assorted bullet sizers [work great for pc boolits], four of the old round auto primes and a .45 bulge buster. I’ve had to repair the handles on the auto primes but use them for all my off press rifle priming. I use the bulge buster every time I reload 45acp. I think they do fine when their product is steel. Where they fail is the pot metal that the other stuff is made from. I’ll repeat what another poster said ‘Lee is the Harbor Freight of reloading.’ You get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I just want to express some frustrations. I am a 50 year veteran of reloading. I've used just about any kind of press you can imagine, including Ideal hand tools and some odd ball Russian stuff. Recently I bought a Dillon SDB which kind of prompted this post. I have purchased a lot of Lee stuff over the years. The worst of which was a Pro 1000 I could never get to run right, never. Lee has some interesting designs. They should work, and honestly, most do, but they have a high fiddle factor. That is, you have to continually tweak them to get full function. The dies are perfect, the factory crimp dies work perfectly, but the shell holders are way too generously proportioned and may not always accurately or securely, fit the case head. I can't fault their single stage press, it always works, as does their hand primer too. It's their progressives that are just too flimsy and Rube-Goldberish. Their case and bullet feeders work, mostly, but they feel cheap. Of course, Hornady bullet feeder dies feel substantial but rarely work. I guess it's relative.

Lee aims for price followed by function. Others, like Dillon, don't consider price much at all and are fully function oriented. Others are in the middle. For me, I like the form of the tool as much as the function, thus Lee never fully satisfies. That's not to say they make junk. Far from it. It's just the aesthetic factor is missing for me. YMMV
    Not being a progressive relaoder... lee tends to work fine for me.. it is good price point.. and their turret and single stage press work without fiddling. shell holders? good enough.. not perfect for sure.. but they work. as do the dies. their hand primers are ok.. they have quirks.. but then so do spendy rcbs hand primers. the lee ram prime works fine. I'd say if you are not a progressive loader.. lee is as good as any for ammo production.. and cheaper than most. I too have decades of reloading and casting now.. and have just about every color under the sun of reloading gear. form pacific and ideal on up.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'll preface this with I've been using my own tools for reloading since 1994 . I own CH , Bonanza , Forster , Hornady, Lachmiller , Lee , Lyman , MEC , Ohaus , Pacific, RCBS, Redding , and Texan , dies , scales , moulds , and presses .

Lee makes a tool to do a job and it does the job .
    I don't care for their presses , I've had 3 &4 hole turrets and a LM . I cut my teeth on a Lyman Crusher and later on a Pacific in Hornady red buying my own RC , RCII and Big Max . The presses just don't have the feel of absolute stop . I gave them a fair shake , in the 4 hole turret I ran over 1000 45 ACP sized and flared and later seated and crimped 250 or so of the same using 2 sets of dies . I just didn't like the feel . This was a couple of years after doing the same with 223 in the 3 hole . I won't go into the LM past when it worked I loved it and when it ate the primer station and started crushing 45 Colts cases that was enough of that , I don't have a lab environment, I lived in the desert dust is just there and it screws it up if it's not absolutely clean .

The only thing wrong with the moulds is that the operator doesn't run them like a rented Army mule and expects them to work like the more expensive moulds . So they fiddle with them so they work like the more expensive moulds.......an XK12 Jag coupe won't ever be a Camaro, F Bird or Corvette no matter which SB Chevy you stick in the hole after the valve inserts eat the heads and pistons .
    Lube the hinges , knock the burrs off the sprue plate edges , and run them hot and fast , they work just fine .

The dies .......... As long as you disassemble them and wash them out and prelube them they work ok . Just don't try to form brass that requires a neck down or shoulder change. Folks have a love hate relationship with the lock rings . If you want a positive stop set 2 O rings facing .

Hate their scale but I've always used a Lyman M5 .

Had a couple of the disk measures ...... They work , they're accurate, and as part of the press system it's a neat go together. I have 3 Uniflows and don't use a progressive. They just don't make me warm as a stand alone .

That hideous thing they pass off as a chamfer deburring tool ....... Just no .

There's a reason I have 6 MECs , 2 Pacific , DL55s , a Texan , and no Load Alls .... First the sizing ring and 2nd that positive stop. If the manual uses the words , you'll develop a feel for the perfect crimp after a few .......... Not for me . I did load about 250 rounds of steel shot with 2 load all's . The charge bar is neat but it also has lots of small parts to lose . I don't who the brain child was behind the size ring but it sucks having a lose piece.

If not for Lee I can almost guarantee beyond a doubt that I would not be a caster because I just couldn't swallow the $200 for the lube sizer and $25 a pop for H&I dies after spending $80+ per mould . $20/ mould and sizers that fit a press .......well .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I'll preface this with I've been using my own tools for reloading since 1994 . I own CH , Bonanza , Forster , Hornady, Lachmiller , Lee , Lyman , MEC , Ohaus , Pacific, RCBS, Redding , and Texan , dies , scales , moulds , and presses .

Lee makes a tool to do a job and it does the job .
    I don't care for their presses , I've had 3 &4 hole turrets and a LM . I cut my teeth on a Lyman Crusher and later on a Pacific in Hornady red buying my own RC , RCII and Big Max . The presses just don't have the feel of absolute stop . I gave them a fair shake , in the 4 hole turret I ran over 1000 45 ACP sized and flared and later seated and crimped 250 or so of the same using 2 sets of dies . I just didn't like the feel . This was a couple of years after doing the same with 223 in the 3 hole . I won't go into the LM past when it worked I loved it and when it ate the primer station and started crushing 45 Colts cases that was enough of that , I don't have a lab environment, I lived in the desert dust is just there and it screws it up if it's not absolutely clean .

The only thing wrong with the moulds is that the operator doesn't run them like a rented Army mule and expects them to work like the more expensive moulds . So they fiddle with them so they work like the more expensive moulds.......an XK12 Jag coupe won't ever be a Camaro, F Bird or Corvette no matter which SB Chevy you stick in the hole after the valve inserts eat the heads and pistons .
    Lube the hinges , knock the burrs off the sprue plate edges , and run them hot and fast , they work just fine .

The dies .......... As long as you disassemble them and wash them out and prelube them they work ok . Just don't try to form brass that requires a neck down or shoulder change. Folks have a love hate relationship with the lock rings . If you want a positive stop set 2 O rings facing .

Hate their scale but I've always used a Lyman M5 .

Had a couple of the disk measures ...... They work , they're accurate, and as part of the press system it's a neat go together. I have 3 Uniflows and don't use a progressive. They just don't make me warm as a stand alone .

That hideous thing they pass off as a chamfer deburring tool ....... Just no .

There's a reason I have 6 MECs , 2 Pacific , DL55s , a Texan , and no Load Alls .... First the sizing ring and 2nd that positive stop. If the manual uses the words , you'll develop a feel for the perfect crimp after a few .......... Not for me . I did load about 250 rounds of steel shot with 2 load all's . The charge bar is neat but it also has lots of small parts to lose . I don't who the brain child was behind the size ring but it sucks having a lose piece.

If not for Lee I can almost guarantee beyond a doubt that I would not be a caster because I just couldn't swallow the $200 for the lube sizer and $25 a pop for H&I dies after spending $80+ per mould . $20/ mould and sizers that fit a press .......well .
    My only gripes about the Lee scale is that I would like more powerful magnets and maybe calibrated for more that 100 gr.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    My only gripes about the Lee scale is that I would like more powerful magnets and maybe calibrated for more that 100 gr.
    Not many loads take more than 100 grains. Even my 300 rum is less than 100, but close

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I don't want that for powder, but for sorting rifle bullets also. It wouldn't be hard for them to do.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I like Lee dies, especially for handgun cartridges. The PTE die is why.
    The die size bullet sizers are also great.
    I’ve stuck with my Rockchucker press, my Redding powder measure, and my Ohaus (RCBS) scale for those tools.
    I like their hand priming tool; have worn out a couple. It would be nice if it used standard shell holders, though.
    All of my bullet moulds are Lee and they work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, so much complaining wasting forum space. I am a life long machinist mechanic and have zero complaints about Lee. I also own most other brands of reloading tools and equipment (the poorest design tool I have encountered in 40+ years is not a Lee product, it is the RCBS Bench prime. I cannot be used right out of the box unless the handle extends 8" beyond the bench edge or a 3" riser must be used. A primer tube flopping back and forth? If it was painted red there would be hundreds of complaints on every reloading forum active today). Yes on some tools a bit if fiddling is done, but not being in any need for faster, more, faster reloads I don't use nor need a progressive by anyone. I have become jaded about Lee complaints over the years mainly because I often tried to duplicate Lee Hater's complaints, but was unable unless I deliberately misused the tool. Maybe my experience using power and hand tools and reading instructions gives me an edge? I have never had to redesign or radically modify any Lee product even the dreaded "Drip-O-Matic" which doesn't drip because of plain old thoughtful maintenance...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Most everything I have is Lee. I’m sure there are better things out there, but it works out well for me. I don’t have a problem with my pro 1000’s but I prime by hand, and don’t use the bullet feeders.

The new inline boolit feeders from Lee work great.

Boolit Master

I've always seen Lee molds as "kits"

need a bit of additional owner work to tune them up, then do a great job--I'm willing to swap sweat equity for $$
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Like Dverna I am also struggling with the new 6000. I have also had some dismal contacts with Lee customer service and tech support. ( anyone else talk to Brenda or George?) I think, not sure, but I think Brenda is one of the Lee family and she is the one that make the decisions on who gets warranty and who does not. She is the main reason I no longer buy much from Lee. But in Tech support it was always George who was a miserable sot but now they have a guy who is pleasant and very knowledgeable. George had the attitude that it was his way or no way and whatever the problem was it was your fault for doing something wrong. This new guy is the exact opposite, he will listen to what you have to say and then ask the right questions. But I think for the most part Lee has gone the same direction as Midway and it is all corporate management now. It is all about the money and the customer does not matter. They used to have excellent customer support many years ago. All the people talking up their Dillon equipment are the ones that have a lot more disposable income than some of us. I just do not see the need to spend that kind of money unless you are shooting full time 7 days a week. If you can afford that kind of reloading quantity then a Dillon is pennies out of your pocket compared to what you are spending on primers and powder!!!

What are the problems you are having with the pro6k?

Boolit Master
    My parents gave me a Lee Loader for Christmas in 1963 so I have had exposure to them for a while. In that time I watched the company which was Richard & John grow and develop new products most of them quite good for the price charged. In the last couple two three years I noticed the company slowly stall out and go backward. I'm even hearing it from some of the jobbers and wholesalers. Some of the design changes they made to their industry winners like the bottle they now use on their powder throwers and the collet neck sizing die have me wondering. Someone at the current Lee is or are not reloaders. Your always going to have the whiners calling customer service looking for a handout or the people that don't know what they are doing but one of their customer service people is burned out and needs to be moved before he has a heart attack or stroke. Customer service is nothing more than a reflection of the top. They still have lots of good stuff at good prices and I'll buy the stuff. They hold patents on a few things so the high quality manufactures can not manufacture some items.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Wow, so much complaining wasting forum space. I am a life long machinist mechanic and have zero complaints about Lee. I also own most other brands of reloading tools and equipment (the poorest design tool I have encountered in 40+ years is not a Lee product, it is the RCBS Bench prime. I cannot be used right out of the box unless the handle extends 8" beyond the bench edge or a 3" riser must be used. A primer tube flopping back and forth? If it was painted red there would be hundreds of complaints on every reloading forum active today). Yes on some tools a bit if fiddling is done, but not being in any need for faster, more, faster reloads I don't use nor need a progressive by anyone. I have become jaded about Lee complaints over the years mainly because I often tried to duplicate Lee Hater's complaints, but was unable unless I deliberately misused the tool. Maybe my experience using power and hand tools and reading instructions gives me an edge? I have never had to redesign or radically modify any Lee product even the dreaded "Drip-O-Matic" which doesn't drip because of plain old thoughtful maintenance...
    RCBS universal bench primer is one of the best reloading tools ever built. Yeah the rod moving is odd, but it just works, always.

Boolit Master

I think everybody that's been at this game as long as the majority of us here has picked the team they want to play on. I picked Lee a long time ago, for the simple reason they were all I could afford. Same reason I have always drove Chevy P/U's instead of the pricey sports car I always yearned for. The trucks and Lee haven't let me down yet.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Banned
    Lee makes a good sizer dies. They are harder then a woodpecker's beak. Their bullet seaters SUCK!! Those could be vastly improved. Problemwith them? They don't have much of a bullet guiding system. They rely on the case mouth and the nose punch to start and seat the bullet straight. They collet neck sizer dies are a terrific invention.....for normal use. Their moulds are servicable and some of the most accurate cast bullets I've shot come from a LEE mould. It you treat them right they will last a long time. Finally when you can't find dies in this time and age of the U.S. going to hell, LEE will most often be the ones you can find. The name of the game is CHEAP and SAVE MONEY!

Boolit Master

I find Lee dies acceptable. Later designed Lee bullet molds are usable but I don't expect them to last as long as other molds. I bought an APP press and used it to decap pistol brass. After 20-30,000 rounds it needs some replacement parts due to wear. They are plastic and I don't think they were designed for a lifetime of use.
    I bought a Lee case trimmer that is junk and never usable.
    Most reloaders do not load in large numbers. I don't think any high volume competitive shooters use Lee equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I find Lee dies acceptable. Later designed Lee bullet molds are usable but I don't expect them to last as long as other molds. I bought an APP press and used it to decap pistol brass. After 20-30,000 rounds it needs some replacement parts due to wear. They are plastic and I don't think they were designed for a lifetime of use.
    I bought a Lee case trimmer that is junk and never usable.
    Most reloaders do not load in large numbers. I don't think any high volume competitive shooters use Lee equipment.
    That is quite the bias you got there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hjvfjuifi.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	314799

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast