Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Vintage scope question

Boolit Master

Vintage scope question

Im gonna pick up my Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70 today and have used MVA sights on my High Wall and Sharps and was thinking Id maybe consider a MVA vintage scope for this rifle to shoot paper with.MVA has a Winchester series thats about 24" long Whats yalls opinion on vintage scopes ? Are they repeatable do- they hold up? Im assuming I will have to drill holes for the mounts.Any help and insight will be great!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The MVA B5 scope with the #2 mounts is a good scope, and should give you good results out to 600 yards or so without having to go to a higher rear block. Yes you'll have to have the barrel drilled and tapped for the bases on a 7.2 inch center.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I have some and have used them, but now am getting older and need more
    light transmission
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Unertial (spelling) scopes I have used, very good and repeatable, others are good also.

Boolit Man
    the proper spelling is Unertl. They are very good scopes and yes the settings are repetable. The adjustments read just like a micrometer and are quite accurate. With the 7.2" spacing on the scope blocks, the non click mounts like the MVA will give you 1/2 minute of movement. Longer spacing will give you finer adjustments. If you are not familial with how this style of scope works, they are designed to slide in the mounts. This helps protect the scope from the effects of recoil. You will have to pull the scope back into battery after each shot. Not really a bid deal just something you have to get used to doing is all. The MVA and DZ scopes are both very good choices and will give you many years of good service.
    Sam

I use a number of old original scopes, but have friends who use both MVA and DZ scopes and they love both. On my old scopes I always use a taller rear base when I mount them, as even shooting closer 200 yd. it works by adjusting the scope low in the rear ring. And when shooting out further the taller base and extra height allows the scope more flexibility to shoot various distances.