Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WW-296 in 38 Special data?

Boolit Master

I have seen data for 296 and H110 at around 9 or 10 gr But of course I can’t remember where.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

The solution.......is to get a 300blk or 30carbine.

You'll be out of w296 in no time

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Yes! Thanks! I have that 2400 data and have used it. The 7.1 grain load is very mild and pleasant to shoot in my 38's. I have a S&W m-10, M-67 and M-36. The Lyman 45 manual has me loading 9 plus grains of 2400 and I have only tried it (38 special cases) in a 357 revolver. But as you say - no help if 296 is the goal.
    My small supply of 2400 is saved for other uses.
    I am going to look around a little more for WW-296 data but most likely just try to trade it off to someone who will be happy to have it. Full magnums don't give me the joy they once did. My kids think I am old!!! I guess they are right. I am not sure when that happened?

I have enough WW-231, Red Dot and 700X. I am good to go. I was just trying to remember where I saw the 38 Special - WW-296 - 200gr data. ....Moving on. Thanks all, for the help.
    You might be getting both old and smart!!! It is no fun to getting pounded with recoil. Some guys might feel the need to "prove they are a man". You know better.

Good solution to trade it off to a "real man"...LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    The only data I have seen for 296 in 38 Special is in a discredited 1985 Sierra manual, and that was for 158, 170, and 180 grain jacketed bullets. However, I emphatically do not recommend any of that data and will not post it. There were too many errors in the first printing, so they discarded the initial editions (one of which I have), revised it and released another printing. A 308 load they suggested gave me self-ejecting primers and swollen primer pockets, 2 grains below max.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The only data I have seen for 296 in 38 Special is in a discredited 1985 Sierra manual, and that was for 158, 170, and 180 grain jacketed bullets. However, I emphatically do not recommend any of that data and will not post it. There were too many errors in the first printing, so they discarded the initial editions (one of which I have), revised it and released another printing. A 308 load they suggested gave me self-ejecting primers and swollen primer pockets, 2 grains below max.
    You prompted my memory, thank you. Yes, I think this was where I saw it and went back and got out that old Sierra second edition loading manual. Just like you say, the WW-296 is listed in purported standard pressure loads. It shows some very fast velocity out a 5" S&W K frame, not only with WW-296 but AL-7 and 4227. As I said in an earlier post. I am done with the idea of loading the 38 Special with 296 and moving on.
    Can you imagine the ear splitting muzzle blast fireball with some of these loads???
    Chill Wills

Ear piercing muzzle blast and blinding flash is correct yes sir

I had 2 8lb jugs of military surplus WC820 which was 30 carbine powder. Sold 1 to a friend who also has a 30 carbine plus a 300 Blackhawk. He likes it. Then I inherited my late mothers 410 bolt action Mossberg shotgun. I am using that powder up now.
    Long story but maybe you could post a want to sell at your local trap range to sell that powder or trade? I too seldom shoot full power 44 magnum or 357. And my 30 carbine ammo is currently all loaded.
    I have loaded and fired that 195 grain bullet with 2400 data from the Lyman 45th. It’s a thumper in my revolvers on steel plate but it really shined in my Marlin 1894C. Very accurate and “clangs” steel out 100 yards instead of “ting”.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I hope to find a safe load for a 200grn Lyman cast bullet in 38 Special using WW-296.

I have looked through all my loading books with no luck finding it. I think I saw it somewhere....
    Like others have said H110/296 is not for 38 special. What I use in my 38's is CFE Pistol. Clean shooting and I can get an honest 1000 fps with no +P.

ACC

Hope you can read, here is some words and a color picture.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-test-revolver
    Note, that picture is not of a 357, it is a 38 Spl heavy frame Outdoorsman, a Smith and Wesson, the actual Elmer Keith 38 Spl gun used to develop the 357 Mag.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Like others have said H110/296 is not for 38 special. What I use in my 38's is CFE Pistol. Clean shooting and I can get an honest 1000 fps with no +P.

ACC
    ???????????

I don't have a surplus (or any) of that powder. I think you missed the point. Two of them in fact.
    Thank you for the reply.

Respectfully, Chill
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Chill--Any skeet shooters in your area?? In the .410 296 is a favorite powder.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12