Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Dash Cameras

Moderator Emeritus

Dash Cameras

It seems that more and more people are driving extremely aggressively or with road rage. My nephew had an issue and one of my friends had an issue at Wal-Mart. Watching the news show that the craziness is getting worse and worse! My better-half and I have been discussing cameras for our vehicles and finally I took the plunge....Did the research and bought front and rear camera system for two of our vehicles. They were extremely easy to install but I did not want to use a cigarette charger so I sprung for the hardwire harnesses and did the installation. I did get help from a friend that is an auto mechanic to make the plug into the fuse boxes but I did all the other installation....the quality of the picture is wonderful and it loops so it over rights the old pictures if nothing in needed. It has GPS, voice, and a host of options that make it extremely attractive and if your car is unattended and someone hits it or damages it turns on to catch the incident.

On the way home this morning some moron passed me in a no passing zone and almost hit me when he cut back in....the camera caught that.....I like the neutral witness aspect. When I was sheriff I had several complaints about deputies actions and I told each one that I would supply the popcorn and come by the office to watch the video.....no one showed up!

You might think about it and if it is right for you it is a small price to pay for a neutral witness....just remember, if your state is a castle doctrine state and you have an incident.....NEVER....NEVER....NEVER get out of your vehicle as in Texas your vehicle is covered under the castle doctrine...
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    gbt!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    What camera system did you install?

I agree. Too many idiots out there and people who were no where around will give statements that they saw everything.

A camera silences all that. Let 'em take you to court and let the judge see the video. Only way this crap will stop.

Boolit Master

Like concealed carry, don't tell. Let the other guy shoot himself in the foot, then produce the neutral witness.im using Nextbase cameras.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    What system did you buy?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Check out YouTube for bad driver videos. It will keep you entertained for days. The Russian videos put us to shame.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    It seems that more and more people are driving extremely aggressively or with road rage. My nephew had an issue and one of my friends had an issue at Wal-Mart. Watching the news show that the craziness is getting worse and worse! My better-half and I have been discussing cameras for our vehicles and finally I took the plunge....Did the research and bought front and rear camera system for two of our vehicles. They were extremely easy to install but I did not want to use a cigarette charger so I sprung for the hardwire harnesses and did the installation. I did get help from a friend that is an auto mechanic to make the plug into the fuse boxes but I did all the other installation....the quality of the picture is wonderful and it loops so it over rights the old pictures if nothing in needed. It has GPS, voice, and a host of options that make it extremely attractive and if your car is unattended and someone hits it or damages it turns on to catch the incident.

On the way home this morning some moron passed me in a no passing zone and almost hit me when he cut back in....the camera caught that.....I like the neutral witness aspect. When I was sheriff I had several complaints about deputies actions and I told each one that I would supply the popcorn and come by the office to watch the video.....no one showed up!

You might think about it and if it is right for you it is a small price to pay for a neutral witness....just remember, if your state is a castle doctrine state and you have an incident.....NEVER....NEVER....NEVER get out of your vehicle as in Texas your vehicle is covered under the castle doctrine...
    A few months back we were ascending a hill -- double yellow line -- to see an oncoming vehicle passing the auto ahead of it -- entirely in OUR lane! A super-quick move (for me ) to shoulder -- with literal inches space only -- prevented what would had been a head-on-crash had I been my usual not-so-alert driver at the time. (One does "get in the groove" -- kind of like watching t.v., after a while on a trip...)
    Anyhoos -- less than an hour later, just like OP, a HUGE pick-up truck did a pass -- also over double yellow line -- with an oncoming car. I am still in disbelief there was not an accident!
    These two -- same day, same trip incidents suggested I investigate a dash cam. Compounding my budget and bum-leg disability (re install chalenge) I opted to purchase (Amazon) the Rove R2-4K dash cam. A "snap" to install, it has more bells & whistles than I use. The only "non-plus" for some is it is one camera, front view only. The picture is AWESOME!
    In my rural area, compounded with a truck I do not think would be a high-steal model, I did not hook up the "toch or shake vehicle while parked" or other features.
    However, I ALWAYS have it recording while driving! (Murphy Law: Haven't had a close one since (knock wood)... )
    WELL WORTH, imho, the ninety bucks or so I gave for it.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Couple of posts on this on the site already laying out the case for owning one, I am an advocate of having one anymore living in the DC commuter zone. Video proof beats we said-they said any day.

One thing to note you have to periodically check them, my first one's internal battery died and it would not "autosave" the last driving segment when the ignition was turned off and power was cut off.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=dashcam

Boolit Master
    There are dashcam apps for smart phones that are free or low cost. An inexpensive bracket to hold your phone and you are in business.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Our south property line is the right of way for an interstate highway, I have a 5 strand fence around and I ride the fence line 3 times a week. It is incredible what I sometimes see down beside the interstate, insanity. People racing over the hills in double yellow blind spots, actually saw two passengers in different cars shooting at each other, totally nuts. I live in the woods, but if I lived in a metro area I sure would have cameras in my vehicles. The disregard for the space and the rights of others definitely crosses over to the roads and parking areas.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    A Just yesterday Guy past on the left with no room flying I had to move over a few feet and laid on the Horn!! Next he was on the right and cut in front of me across 4 lines from the right exit to the left exit, Then he gave me the finger. I hope he gets caught and they cut it half for him. And maybe he'll have a spin out and mess up his new SUV.

B Everyone is flying 10 over noooo!! more like 30 over.

C. Guy on a bike flying in and out of traffic. Doing about 55 in a 40.

These are just the ones worth noting. City driving is nuts. The world is in a rush to go no where.
    Last edited by Teddy (punchie); 05-31-2023 at 12:33 PM. Reason: grammer

Boolit Grand Master

I think I'm going to start posting some of the videos I get with my Dezl in my semi. People would be stunned, I think not at how stupid people drive but at how many there are.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

For roughly 18 months to 2 years, there was practically zero police stops for anything other than a wreck. The police in most places are just now really back to stopping folks for speeding anywhere. This has caused lots of poor habits to set in.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG52 View Post
    What camera system did you install?
    I bought two REDTIGER camera front and rear cameras systems plus the hardwire harnesses (about $153.00 / system)....when I did the research they had great results and were easy to install.....instructions were good and the picture is really good.....by the way....on the way home yesterday I was in a no passing zone and this nut case decided to pass and almost hit my truck when he violently cut back in forcing me to hard brake.....it was caught by the camera system! Do your research, and buy what is right for you but what I installed works very well for us!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

State of Montana spent 16 million "upgrading" the 8 mile stretch of highway near me in 2018-19. They straightened it, leveled it and added wider shoulders. They also started with 4 1/2 miles of passing lanes and made it 1 1/2 miles of passing lanes. The speed limit was 70 now it's 70 daytime, 65 at night. It encourages wide loads and Canadian Motorhome traffic as it is newly remolded and saves two crossings of the Continental divide. There is nowhere wide enough for a Semi or motorhome to stop if they need to pull over. Average speed is 75+ along with several that couldn't go over 50 and the occasional farm tractor. I am beset with idiots trying to pass anywhere.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze