Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: MIG Welding

Boolit Buddy

MIG Welding

I'm NOT a welder,but I can make a decent bead, not always pretty, but will hold. I have a Lincoln 175 with 220 volt. I usually use .030 wire with Argon gas. My setting for mild steel is the scale reading A thru E is C, with the numerical setting about 6 1/2 to 7. I ran out of .030 wire and had a partial roll of .035. I had to up the scale to D or E with my numerical setting at 8 or 9. I had open heart triple by-pass surgery a few months ago and my memory is just getting back close to normal. I honestly don't remember, and I didn't make notes of settings in the past. I'm hoping having to increase the power is from the increase in wire size and not my welder giving out. Also Home Depot has .035 Super Arc L-56 ER 70S-6 wire. Can I use that wire, I'm not familiar with the designation: (ER). Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. James C. (Circuit Rider)
    Last edited by Circuit Rider; 05-30-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Master

It is carbon steel MIG wire.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with THAT welder, but I'm guessing that the A-E is the amperage (heat) output, and the numerical setting is the wire speed. I always went with more heat with bigger wire, and adjusted the wire speed as needed. I always had better luck when welding steel with a co2/argon mix gas. This is coming from a retired electrician who no longer welds so take it for what it's worth.

I've got a Lincoln 170 T that runs on 220.
    It and a smaller 120V (SP 100) one I used to have has a chart inside the cover that closes down over the wire spool.
    It calls for various settings for different thicknesses.
    All I've ever used in it is Lincoln or Hobart brand flux core wire that's either .030 or .035.
    It doesn't like the thin stuff. It wants to blow it out. But 1/8th (10 gauge) up to 3/8, it does well on a single pass.

I've found the settings it recommends under the cover panel to be pretty good for what I do with mine.
    I figure the folks that researched and wrote it all out know a lot more about welding than I ever will.

If you're doing really thin stuff, and gas, you might look into a thinner wire- like .020.
    And check on the panel's chart, what you're doing may be too thin for your machine.

In the old days, I used a big Miller at work and with the series 60 or 70 wire I used on it,
    I always used the CO2 and Argon mix. I think it's 75/25.

The only time I ever used pure Argon was with a TIG welding Alum. or Stainless Steel.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-30-2023 at 11:12 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Way back in the day (1974) building self loaders for log trucks we used argon gas for spraying. Makes a really hot puddle, and a really clean weld. 75/25 was the mix that was most often used with flu core wire, giving the puddle duel coverage. Straight Co2 gas with hard wire (no flux) was used for short arc. Sometimes if you switch wire diameters, you may have to change out the drive rolls.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I prefer straight CO2 for the economy of it.

That gas will be liquid in the bottle and gas coming out so the price is lower due to the abundance of the contents and the longevity is dramatic. The downside is a much heavier bottle and your recent surgery might conflict with you wrestling with a cylinder with liquid contents vs a dry gas mix.

My most favorite wire is a flux core that also requires gas, so it is referred as a “dual shield”. It’s made by Lincoln and it’s called outer shield. I quit needing a book for notes on settings with that wire.

When I need more beans I just turn up the voltage. The opposite is true as well. It ain’t fussy like solid wire.

I tried the Hobart equivalent and it’s way more splatters. I went back to the Lincoln brand.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    What are you welding that you need .035 wire? It's fine for large things but for anything that a normal person would do it is too big. Find some .030 or .025. 75-25 is the best gas for mild steel.

Boolit Master
    argon/co2 blend or stargon, argon, helium, co2, will give you superior results mig welding steel. ive found that unless I'm welding very thin materials, .030, .035 or .045 will work just fine as long as I properly set voltage and wire feed rate. no matter what size wire when you get voltage and speed rate optimized for what your welding it make a distinct sound as well as welding very smooth. pure argon gas is used for welding aluminum and many stainless steel applications.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    no matter what size wire when you get voltage and speed rate optimized for what your welding it make a distinct sound as well as welding very smooth.
    Go to about 9:35 he gives the voltage and wire speed and the weld is an open butt vertical uphill double beveled test plate looks like 1/2" A36 carbon steel plate. Use 75/25% argon/CO2 gas for mig welding on carbon steel.

Pay particular attention to the "pinching" sound it makes, THAT'S the sound you want to hear, and also notice the near complete absence of sparks, and the weld is very smooth and pretty flat, evenly tied in on the sides, not blobby or globbing in the center.

He is likely using .035" hard wire.

I welded in a pressure vessel shop in the 70s, and our test coupons looked just like the one in the video except ours were 1" thick, but the root pass was done pointing the nozzle straight up, and filling in the open butt coming downhill rather quickly with no weave, then the hot pass was the uphill vertical weave just as you see in the video.

This passes x-ray, ultrasonic, and bend tests which are industry standard for high pressure and nuclear work. Pressure vessels are the same specs and procedures as nuclear, except nuclear is documented to the extreme and pressure vessels are just seriously documented, The welding procedures are pretty much the same.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-01-2023 at 02:33 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I run a crew of MIG welders, and I'd say you are fine. I would expect to increase the heat and the speed with the thicker wire. All of our welding is outdoors so all we use is flux core but it's all the same in the end.

Boolit Buddy

It's really difficult to recommend wire type and shielding gas without knowing what you're planning to weld.