MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 mm powder choice

Boolit Buddy

10 mm powder choice

Good day folks. Recently I picked up a S&W M&P in 10mm. I used a Lee .401 175 TC mold and cast up about 1k bullets. I have some unique on hand and plan on using that for my lighter loads (1,000-1,100 fps). What powder have you found works well for the full house loads? These bullets come in at 181 grains after powdercoating. I would like to achieve 1250 fps or so (4 inch barrel). Seems like longshot and AA #9 are the top 2 contenders for speed with the 180 class bullets. Would you go with one of those or something entirely different? If I remember right, I read that the AA#9 is an easier shooting/lighter recoiling powder in the 10mm than the longshot. But longshot takes fewer grains of powder, so more shots per lb of powder....

I'm a big Unique fan for cast loads.
    For full house, I'd look in the book published by whoever made them.

After having trashed a couple guns in my younger days, I'm more cautious now days about getting off into uncharted waters.

For some real hot rod stuff, I'd just buy a box of self defense loads and be happy with that instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.
    Sure they're expensive, but so is doing a bunch of research on your own too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Blue dot is what I use and is a great 10mm powder.

Boolit Master
    I use 231 for range/practice loads using the Lee 175, and Longshot or AA#9 for my heavy 180 and 200 grain loads. I haven't noticed any difference in recoil between Longshot or AA#9.

Banned
    Unique, Auto Comp, Power Pistol, Herco.

G20 with that bullet, powder coated, using No. 9 towards the top; 1250ish.

Boolit Buddy

We used Blue Dot for decades and it did well. We were using Power Pistol in 9mms and after trying it in the 10mm, we never looked back. That is about the perfect balance of burn rate and case capacity.

Boolit Master

Auto Comp for my mid powered 200 gr. "shooting" loads

Longshot for my 200 gr. full power loads I load on my progressive.

800X for my LBT 220 gr max loads loaded semi-progressively using a chargemaster.

Moderator Emeritus

WC 820 does all I need it to do. AKA AA9.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Aa7,and aa9.i prefer a7,although a9 is super accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can find--and afford--it, N-110 is a very good powder for the 10 mm. But it ain't cheap or common. It's good, though.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Good day folks. Recently I picked up a S&W M&P in 10mm. I used a Lee .401 175 TC mold and cast up about 1k bullets. I have some unique on hand and plan on using that for my lighter loads (1,000-1,100 fps). What powder have you found works well for the full house loads? These bullets come in at 181 grains after powdercoating. I would like to achieve 1250 fps or so (4 inch barrel). Seems like longshot and AA #9 are the top 2 contenders for speed with the 180 class bullets. Would you go with one of those or something entirely different? If I remember right, I read that the AA#9 is an easier shooting/lighter recoiling powder in the 10mm than the longshot. But longshot takes fewer grains of powder, so more shots per lb of powder....
    I have been a lonnng afficianado of the 10mm and have several arms in this calibre. For my S&W Model 1006 and Colt Delta Gold Cup my preferred powder is AA#5. My second choice is AA#2. Both provide accuracy better than I can shoot; burn clean; are readily cleanable off arm (both are in stainless steel); meter well (standard Dillon measure on a 550b toolhead); and, have zero negativities I can think of.

Groo here
    Most forums state ,"any old powder for lighter loads will work"
    But most use AA7 for heaver bullets [cast or jackets] 180gr to 220 gr and AA 9 for lighter ones..
    AA 9 uses up much space in the case so lighter bullets allow more charge..
    The 10mm tends to max out of space before charge with the slower powders
    As always check the manuals

Boolit Master
    I dont have 10mm but just about got one a few months back. did my homework and it seems be-86 might be a good powder to try

Boolit Master

Many powders can work. I have been shooting the 10mm since my first Delta in 1986/87. Aa#7 is a favorite as is Blue Dot and 800x for heavies. #9 gave me some erratic pressures and hang fires. Long shot works well but when I ran across Power Pistol
    Some years back I stopped all but a couple blue dot loads.

PP got me great velocity and low pressures. I found out accidentally with a scale misshap. I pushed that same LEE 175 TC bullet past 1400 in a 5" with ZERO ISSUES! I dont push it that hard but nice to know its attainable.

My 200 WFN HC loads are 1250 and my load for that 175 is just a bit faster @ just under 1300. Both shoot very very well.

Give PP a try I think you will find same. It drops very even loads being a ball powder and gives great preformance.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I like Blue Dot, 10 gr with a 180 gr hard cast. Real accurate. RA 1911 double stack
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

Bluedot in my Glock 20 with 180gr cast.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    Blue dot is what I use and is a great 10mm powder.

THIS!!!! Nothing throws 150 grain screamers quite like bright white strobe flashing Blue Dot.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Have only been loading 10mm for about 5 years. Have found that bullets in the 155-165 catagory suit my needs better for hunting and personal defense. I skip over the 180 class bullets and after trying HC bullets in the 200-220 range settled on the 200s at 1250.

Powders tried were PowerPistol, Blue Dot, Longshot and AAC-9...Longshot seemed the most consistent and that is what I stayed with.

Was running 8.6 grains with a MP molds 200 but have since backed off to 8.0 which gives in the 1175 range...better for followup shots...

Bob

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Longshot is THE powder for 10mm
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast