RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is it in reality????

Boolit Grand Master

How bad is it in reality????

Went I was young, I used to to melt lead in the kitchen to make fishing sinkers.
    Neighborhood kids used to run through the mosquito truck smoke when it drove by.
    Shared soda, food, and candy between friends.
    Drank out of the hose.
    In school chemistry class, we would play with mercury.
    It would make coins really bright and shiny.
    BBQ over charcoal or kiawe wood all the time.
    Ate the fish we caught and the game we shot.
    Did my fair share of drinking, before gout get me.
    Never did smoke anything.
    Never had any major illness, sickness, problems.
    Except gout after I stopped drinking.
    Back spasms and stomach problems from work stress.
    Both that went away after I got out of there.
    Except for a little to much weight, I'm as healthy as someone 10 years younger.
    So, with all the bad things I did in my younger days, shouldn't I be dead of sickly????
    Could the gooberment warnings of all these "bad" things, be just a lots of baloney????
    Also, as far as I know, none of us from kid time, have any real health problems either.
    I've also noticed that kids, these days, have all kind of health problems that us old timers just don't have.
    The longer I live, the more I distrust anything the gooberment says.
    When the wuflu lockdown was in full steam, I asked my doctor, "if the wuflu is so deadly, how come the homeless are not dropping dead all over the place???"
    She couldn't give me an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Went I was young, I used to to melt lead in the kitchen to make fishing sinkers.
    Neighborhood kids used to run through the mosquito truck smoke when it drove by.
    Shared soda, food, and candy between friends.
    Drank out of the hose.
    In school chemistry class, we would play with mercury.
    It would make coins really bright and shiny.
    BBQ over charcoal or kiawe wood all the time.
    Ate the fish we caught and the game we shot.
    Did my fair share of drinking, before gout get me.
    Never did smoke anything.
    Never had any major illness, sickness, problems.
    Except gout after I stopped drinking.
    Back spasms and stomach problems from work stress.
    Both that went away after I got out of there.
    Except for a little to much weight, I'm as healthy as someone 10 years younger.
    So, with all the bad things I did in my younger days, shouldn't I be dead of sickly????
    Could the gooberment warnings of all these "bad" things, be just a lots of baloney????
    Also, as far as I know, none of us from kid time, have any real health problems either.
    I've also noticed that kids, these days, have all kind of health problems that us old timers just don't have.
    The longer I live, the more I distrust anything the gooberment says.
    When the wuflu lockdown was in full steam, I asked my doctor, "if the wuflu is so deadly, how come the homeless are not dropping dead all over the place???"
    She couldn't give me an answer.
    The treatments were worse than the disease.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Dang - YOU are guilty of common sense, STOP IT......

Boolit Buddy
    A kid outside playing builds up an immunity to different things. Most kids today live in too sterile an environment, they do not get a chance to build immunity's.

Boolit Master
    The goobermint uses fear to control the population.

You sir are from a generation that did not tolerate sloth. Unfortunately much more is tolerated now, and with a fancy name to give an excuse for being worthless.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    One wonders if fear could be a tool in controlling the goobermint?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

The less kids play in the dirt the more stuff they are allergic to.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think you stated it very well and voiced what many of us think about it all.

Brought back the memories of when I was a kid and being able to lay on your back in the tall grasses of the pasture, stare up at the sky and watch the clouds in the summer and just "ponder on things". Dad kept us busy on the farm but it was all good and none of us ever suffered from drinking from the same tin cup chained to the hand pump either. Most kids today don't have a clue and their parents aren't doing them any favors by giving them everything they want and not holding them responsible for their actions and over protection.

Thanks for the post . . . you hit the nail on the head.

Well, the exposure to poisonous chemicals was still harmful; you don't build up immunity to lead, for instance, and you would have been better off without being exposed to it from engine emissions
    However, I think you guys are spot on about dirt, outdoor activity, etc. I'll also say (at risk of sending some people into an apoplectic fit) that number of injections given to infants and children has also increased dramatically over the decades. That represents alot of chemicals and other substances, and I don't think it is crazy to suppose that they might have some adverse effect on long-term health

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when it was the thing to take young kids to play with others that had some infections like chicken pox since it was easier on the young and not as many side effects as when contracted when older. And since you could only have it once it was over and done

Boolit Master
    As noted,, a different time and different attitudes. Natural immunities to many things require such type of exposures.
    Mercury, or lead,, excessive exposure can cause problems.
    But many of the common things you mentioned,, created such immunity.

And yes,, the "modern times" have gotten to where such types of exposures, and such have severely decreased. Plus the immunizations given,, can seriously affect us in general.

But,, I've studied these concepts a little. One thing is genetics. A person who comes from a strong genetic bloodline,, can be a lot healthier than someone who's bloodline isn't as strong. It's NOT a guarantee,, but it helps a lot.
    My brother,, who will turn 74 shortly,, has a saying; "Vintage 1949,, All original parts!" Our sister,, (vintage 1951) can't say that. She's the one who's had stuff fixed, and has more health issues. Me? Vintage 1959, and all original parts.

But my brother & I were active, outdoors & such. He's a (2) tour Vietnam Vet. I'm a Vet. But we both had our share of childhood maladies & none serious. We both enjoy good health,, but we also know that even life has an expiration date.

Boolit Master
    Go to a cemetery that is 100 years old and marvel at the number of graves where expiration date minus the born on date is less than 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    One wonders if fear could be a tool in controlling the goobermint?
    Ban assault weapons!
    Deplorable infidel

Playing games on a computer and watching TV, does not build healthy bodies. Period.
    Exercise, work in the sun, fresh air is where the body gets what it needs not on a keyboard, he said typing.....
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I drank from hoses, rode in the back of trucks..could smell the skeeter fog... People nowadays just aren't as hardy in general I think.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Go to a cemetery that is 100 years old and marvel at the number of graves where expiration date minus the born on date is less than 20 years!
    Exactly! The trouble with trying to brag about longevity comes when we consider the folks who are already dead. My grandfather smoked Camel cigarettes (no filter) from the age of 16 until he was about 80 years old. He finally quit because my mother and grandmother were pestering him - then he died at 94 from a broken hip. He was one of those outliers who apparently was never affected by cigarettes - but how many more are in the graveyard from sucking on cancer sticks?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    As noted,, a different time and different attitudes. Natural immunities to many things require such type of exposures.
    Mercury, or lead,, excessive exposure can cause problems.
    But many of the common things you mentioned,, created such immunity.

And yes,, the "modern times" have gotten to where such types of exposures, and such have severely decreased. Plus the immunizations given,, can seriously affect us in general.

But,, I've studied these concepts a little. One thing is genetics. A person who comes from a strong genetic bloodline,, can be a lot healthier than someone who's bloodline isn't as strong. It's NOT a guarantee,, but it helps a lot.
    My brother,, who will turn 74 shortly,, has a saying; "Vintage 1949,, All original parts!" Our sister,, (vintage 1951) can't say that. She's the one who's had stuff fixed, and has more health issues. Me? Vintage 1959, and all original parts.

But my brother & I were active, outdoors & such. He's a (2) tour Vietnam Vet. I'm a Vet. But we both had our share of childhood maladies & none serious. We both enjoy good health,, but we also know that even life has an expiration date.
    Vintage 1960, all original parts but some are held together with titanium now LOL

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Exactly! The trouble with trying to brag about longevity comes when we consider the folks who are already dead. My grandfather smoked Camel cigarettes (no filter) from the age of 16 until he was about 80 years old. He finally quit because my mother and grandmother were pestering him - then he died at 94 from a broken hip. He was one of those outliers who apparently was never affected by cigarettes - but how many more are in the graveyard from sucking on cancer sticks?
    Did he smoke before or after they started adding all kinds of chemicals to the tobacco? I don't think pure tobacco is all that bad(not healthy but not super bad either) ocmpared to what is added to a modern cancer stick..

"Reconstituted tobacco, referred to as “sheet,” is a major ingredient in modern cigarettes; sheet is manufactured from recycled stems, stalks, scraps, collected dust, and floor sweepings.7 Those materials are ground up, nicotine is extracted from them, and chemicals, fillers, glue, and other agents are added to the slurry. The sheet is then pressed out and puffed, with the previously extracted nicotine sprayed onto it, and ground into tiny curls before being incorporated into cigarettes at the desired level.7 Tobacco companies have studied nicotine extracts as a method to augment nicotine levels in cigarettes.8–14"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2040350/

Boolit Master

Just to weigh in,
    Third world nations, with poor sanitation, lousy medical care, food shortages and diets lacking nutrition, filthy drinking water; in short all the things we have come to regard as normal, have a higher mortality rate in the young population. But those who survive to adulthood have been exposed and are resistant to the worst nature can throw at them.
    With all our scientific knowledge, medicine and cleanliness our bodies never develop antibodies to combat naturally occurring diseases.
    Exercise and sunlight are critical to lifelong health.
    Finally, look at the food selections available. Nearly everything we consume is laced with GMOs and antibiotics. Sixty years ago a grocery store offered fresh meats, vegetables and fruit. The frozen food aisle was twenty feet long, mostly TV dinners and frozen veggies. Today pre-cooked and ready-to-eat prepared foods make up 85% of grocery store sales, while the ingredients listed on these items reads like a chemistry experiment.
    In the late sixties I read an article about how scientists had noticed Amish kids generally had little to no tooth decay and we’re generally healthier than most kids. Their studies found that it wasn’t because Amish kids didn’t eat sugary foods, they actually consumed as much or more sweetened foods as the general population. What they didn’t eat was commercially preserved foods.
    The advances in food, medicine and hygiene that make our lives so easy and enjoyable come at a cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast