WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Rossi 223 rebore to 357Max * Need opinions*

Rossi 223 rebore to 357Max * Need opinions*

I’ve got a rossi 223 heavy barrel single shot that I am thinking of rebooting to 357 max. The gun never has shot the greatest but I did some honing to the trigger years ago and it’s smooth as butter. Other than accuracy the other thing that it has against it is that it weighs 8 pounds! Thinking of having JES rebore it to 357 max and shorten it from 23” to 20”. Anybody have any other thoughts on what to do? I’d love to lighten it up more but with a barrel diameter of .8 I dont know if there’s enough left to have some fluting done? Can JES do fluting as well? I havnt talked to him yet but it’s on my list for tomorrow. What’s your guys thoughts?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    I sent a ruger #3 that was a 223 that never shot very well to Jes and he rebore it to a 350 Legend, now its shoot 280 gr. paper patched bullets into a 1 inch group or better at a 100 yards . I would bet the 357 max will be a good performer also.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't think shortening it 3" will make much of a difference. I am unsure of the accuracy of the Rossi and their hinge pins. I would look at a contender carbine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I don't think shortening it 3" will make much of a difference. I am unsure of the accuracy of the Rossi and their hinge pins. I would look at a contender carbine.
    MT Gianni, lookup is good and tight. I agree on the contender and that was my original plan, however I would like a new frame to go with it as well and I’ve been waiting on an ssk50 for over a year now. This thought only came up when I was looking through the all ready full cabinet and the little rossi caught my eye. It was a gift from my parents so I can’t get rid of it but they are totally fine with me reboreing it. I’d rather do something to have an accurate little rifle than just let it sit in the safe.
    -John Wayne

Boolit Master
    With a either a 180 gr or a 200 gr bullet, Quickload says that for a 39,800 psi load with H110 the difference between 20" and 23" is around 40 fps.

The difference between 18.25" and 23" is closer to 70 fps.

Now I did a quick search & found Rossi also chambered their single shot for the 60,000 psi rated 243 Win. A 18.25" max at even 55,000 psi is a good bit faster than a 23" Max at the 40,000 psi SAAMI pressure.

When I was building my 357 AR max, I chose 18.25". I placed a high value on "handy". For a 357 Max rifle, field accuracy is more likely to limit effective range than lack of terminal velocity.
    Last edited by P Flados; 05-30-2023 at 01:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Oops, my brain was not up to par last night.

My gun is 16.25". The predicted difference for removing 6.75" would be close to 100 fps.

Well I sent the barrel off to JES yesterday. 357 max at 20”….. we shall see how it goes
    -John Wayne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsnut76 View Post
    Well I sent the barrel off to JES yesterday. 357 max at 20”….. we shall see how it goes
    Following.....
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Damn auto correct!!!!!

If the firearm handles 223 there should be no issue with having it reboard to 357 max. 223 is a much higher pressure round. I too am traveling down to 357 max rabbit hole. I’m having a 12 gauge NEF barrel stubbed to a new barrel 357 max. I have an SB1 receiver, which is rated for all pistol caliber rounds. I can’t wait to get it!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    My .357 Maxi is a Martini Cadet, 26" barrel. Very accurate and the 26" barrel has zero hindrance in the thick deer woods.

I'll bet you'll find best performance - velocity, pressure, and accuracy-wise - with AA1680 powder. I do, as do a couple .357 Max guys who mentored me when I started down this rabbit hole. My rifle sings with the 200gr. RCBS GC FN bullet + 21.0gr. 1680 + CCI SR primer = 1900+ fps.

Boolit Grand Master

I would have it punched out to something like a 7 TCU.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Cast Boolits Owner

I think rebore/chambering to 357Max is a great idea. Ammo choices are almost endless considering you will also be able chamber .38 special and .357 magnum.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I have a .223 handi rifle with the tapered barrel. I wonder, can that be reamed to 357 Max? Also, does Jes adjust the extractor also - if it needs to be adjusted?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

If I recall correctly, JES requires a muzzle diameter of .650 for a 35 rebore. the bore diameter is .349 groove diameter is .359
    The case and rim diameter is very different, 223 VS 357 but cutting down the the length of the extractor is fairly simple compared to making an extractor longer.
    The normal 357 Super Mag load with 180s and 200s is with H-110/296, AA #9 or 4227. I powder coat my plain base RCBS 200, I have two Cadet Carbines, one in walnut furniture and one with big leaf maple furniture. the walnut has a 20" barrel, the maple has a 16.5" barrel, the 16" is very handy. The 357 SM has the same case capacity as the 7 TCU and the 7 BR. At 50K the 357 SM in a rifle is a cat of a different color. Treat it like a rifle.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Well good news bad news great news!

Good news my barrel showed up yesterday
    Bad news is I’m not home to play with it
    The great news is I’m not home because me and my wife are at the hospital and just had our first baby! Mom and baby girl are doing great. I’m content not being there to play with my barrel lol
    -John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Oh my, my-oh-my. Congratulations.

Nothing better then this... (note that we at least need a name for the new addition to the family).

45_Colt

Lol fair enough Marilyn Faith
    Last edited by cumminsnut76; 07-12-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    -John Wayne

And Marilyn Faith already has a .357 Max- thanks to Dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Congratulations on the family addition.

By the time she gets old enough to shoot with you, you may (may I say) have enough spare time to play with your new barrel.

Robert