WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need outside dimensions of P-W powder bushings

Boolit Man

Need outside dimensions of P-W powder bushings

Planning to modify a MEC charge bar to take larger PW bushings.

I would say off hand that they are .875-.002+.000, but it would be a better idea to actually have one in hand before altering anything. The overall Length is also important and needs to be as close to the thickness of the charge bar as possible. It can't be any more than about .001-2 over or under the thickness of the charge bar or the rubber seal wont seal it properly and powder will leak.

When I made the charge Bar for my Pacific DL266 out of UHMW I was very careful while boring the holes and cutting the thickness of the bar down. Best to creep up on these dimensions so you don't go too far.

I assume you are doing this on a milling machine???,,,, if not,,,, you need to find someone else to do it for you on a milling machine.!!! You can't get it right by any other means.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc Pics 014.jpg   Misc Pics 016.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-09-2023 at 07:18 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Mine measure .871-.874.

Boolit Buddy

Funny how that works, I bought BPI's adapter to use MEC bushings in my PW PW powder bushings measure ,871-,872 dia and ,998 tall GW

Boolit Master
    I had to dig through my Pacific/Hornady powder dies to find a few PW powder dies to measure. I've gone over to the adapter that uses MEC bushings in my 375. The MEC bushings are cheaper and plentiful.

Boolit Man
    Thanks, the MEC bar measures 1.00 by 1.00. So it is possible, but I won't try to tackle it. I have a lathe and a big drill press, but no milling machine, and I understand aluminum has the tendency to grab when drilling an existing hole larger.The reason I want to try this is because I'm experimenting with CBI surplus powder. A MEC #46 only throws 32 grains- not enough for a 10 gauge magnum load.

The reason why you need a Mill is because you don't "Drill" the holes larger, You Bore them with a Criterion Boring Head. Called "Single Point Boring."

Since you have a Lathe you can also bore the hole with a Boring Bar, Probably easier than doing it with a mill and Criterion Boring Head.

The numbers on the Hornady Bushings = the Diameter of the hole in them. So you can go to a bushing chart and make any size you want. IE: #386 = .386

You can also buy Precision Ground 6061 Aluminum Rod that is +/-.001 in diameter. 7/8 rod = PN 9062K34 $19.33/1 ft. or $31.82/2 ft.
    Link: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pr...~rod-and-disc/

Here's a link to Boring Bars that you will need to bore the holes in your Bushing Blanks https://www.mcmaster.com/products/boring-bars/

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-19-2023 at 04:54 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    You might try a bigger bushing and put some tape on the inside to reduce the volume. Cardboard works too.

Go back and read post #7 again I added some links that will be helpful.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    I'd have to check, but a Texan Charge Bar fits a MEC I think, and the bushings are bigger.-I think I get it's obsolete but they show up cheap sometimes and may be cheaper than making a new bar.

If I have some time, I'll try and look at them. I have a 16 ga Texan and 28 ga MEC. The the lower line manual models.

I have some Texan bushings extra around somewhere if you decide to consider this route, just PM me and we'll talk.
    Jason