Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Leading from Lead LSWCHP 38 and 357 Bullets

Boolit Mold

Leading from Lead LSWCHP 38 and 357 Bullets

Hi All, I considering some heavy for caliber lead bullet loads for use in my 6'' .357 magnum and old .38 snubby. I was wondering about the leading issue in the .357. As I was researching and seeing that leading can depend on a number of factors, it struck me you cast bullet aficionados would be able to tell me all I would ever want to know on the subject.

In particular I'm looking at .38 special +P Remington High Terminal Performance 158 gr. LHP RTP38S12A, to use as a light defensive load in the .357. From what I've seen, I should expect to get about 1,000 fps out of the 6 inch barrel.

For the snubby I want a standard pressure load both because it is old ... no +P ..... and I think I'm in the camp of giving up on expansion out of a .38 snubby and therefore would rather just go with something that punches a good hole and provides adequate penetration. So, I'm looking at Federal's train and protect 158 gr "Versatile Hollow Point" FATP38VHP1. In addition to a defensive load for the snubby, I thought I could use this as my target/practice load out of both guns. its listed as 830 fps so it would be moving a lot slower than the Remington.

Anyway, what would you guys think about the leading issue in these guns with these loads? Maybe I'm making too much of it, I've never really had to deal with it but it doesn't seem like that much of an issue to clean up anyway but I thought I would ask since I want to stock up on the loads and shoot quite a bit of them. For the .357, I wouldn't want to have to do cleaning of the barrel that could affect accuracy or anything like that. Thank you for the thoughts

If it's a factory load, I'd say you're at minimal risk for leading. Bullet hardiness, bore fit, and chamber pressures/flame front are kind of the biggest factors for leading, and being factory, I'd assume the bullet will be sufficiently hard and be able to handle the pressure from the load.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Howdy. It all sounds good to me. Lead bullets that work well have a balance between the alloy used, the pressure generated, and the velocity. The gun they are fired in makes a huge difference as to if there will be leading. A gun with dimensional issues such as undersized cylinder throats or a bore constriction will work just fine with jacketed bullets. You'd never notice an issue. But with lead bullets it will likely cause leading issues. Sometimes it's as easy as using a gas checked bullet, or using a powder coated bullet, sometimes it isn't.

Firing the intended loads is the best way to prove whether or not they will lead. Dealing with leading is quite easy. It can simply be ignored if it isn't very bad and it doesn't continue to build. If you shoot plain based bullets that lead, having some gas checked bullets to shoot will clean the leading out.

Scrubbing the leading out using the chore boy method, which is using a section of copper pot scrubber on an old bore brush is the quickest and easiest method I've found. It only takes about 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Bazoo and nhyrum. Would your answer be different for the Buffalo Bore +P 158 gr Soft Cast lead hollow point .... looks to be a LSWCHP (80751). It is rated at 1,000 fps and is soft cast, so I'd expect it to be more of a leading risk ..... although as you say it depends on more than just the bullet composition and velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_Hawkeye View Post
    Thanks Bazoo and nhyrum. Would your answer be different for the Buffalo Bore +P 158 gr Soft Cast lead hollow point .... looks to be a LSWCHP (80751). It is rated at 1,000 fps and is soft cast, so I'd expect it to be more of a leading risk ..... although as you say it depends on more than just the bullet composition and velocity.
    Are you talking about this https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108 ? I'd say it wouldn't lead because it's got a gas check. Gas checks allow you to use a softer alloy, all else being equal. It looks like it'd be a good all purpose load to me.

Too hard lead can cause leading too, so harder isn't better. If it's a factory load, and your gun has a good bullet fit, the chances of leading are minimal.

If the buffalo bore are indeed gas checked, you'll be fine.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Too hard lead can cause leading too, so harder isn't better. If it's a factory load, and your gun has a good bullet fit, the chances of leading are minimal.

If the buffalo bore are indeed gas checked, you'll be fine.

Yes, that's the one. I also see Underwood offers an even hotter load that gets almost up into .357 mag velocities but it looks like its specifically designed to avoid leading.

https://underwoodammo.com/38-special...-defense-ammo/

If you really want to learn about cast bullets and lead, there's a book that is available here called from ingot to target. It's mostly meant for cats, but I'm pretty sure it's got a whole chapter on leading. It's a great read anyhow

That looks like a good load too. A coated bullet like that normally doesn't lead because the coating acts similar to the copper jacket of a jacketed bullet, with little difference made by the actual hardness of the alloy used.

Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Nice I'll take a look

I sent you a private message with a link you might like Cal_Hawkeye