RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Older Lyman 10 pound pot wattage

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Older Lyman 10 pound pot wattage

The tag on my old Lyman pot is so boogered I can't make out what it says. I need to replace the cord and want to make sure it has the capability of carrying the current necessary. Can someone tell me the amps., watts or whatever I need to know to obtain a proper cord for this pot?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

It might be different for the 10 or 20 pound pots, but my 20 lb. Pro-Melt runs 800.

A piece from a good, heavy duty extension cord should do a good job for ya.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Well, actually I misspoke when I said I needed a new cord. It is the bakelite plug that needs to be replaced. Too many times getting too hot over the years. It is the old 2 round pin plug that was common on the old irons, coffee pots, and other small appliances. I've not had any luck finding just the plug so it seems that I need to replace the entire cord and plug as an assembly.

I assume that the Lyman lead pot draws quite a bit more than a coffee pot so I question whether that would be a suitable replacement. I can get them readily enough at ARC or GOODWILL but suspect they would not be satisfactory.

My pins are 11/16" center to center and I know that there are other widths so I'm wondering if the pin spacing has something to do with the carrying capacity of the plug and cord, not so much the spacing in and of itself, but perhaps to keep lesser rated cords from being used on higher rated appliances. In other words, do all 11/16" spaced pins carry the same rating. If so, than I could safely just get a plug and cord with that spacing.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    yea any cord that's heavy like an toaster oven.

Boolit Master

Most likely you will be running it on a 15 amp circuit, so a 14 gauge, 15 amp cord would be fine. If you know it is on a 20 amp circuit, you could try to find a 12 gauge, 20 amp rated cord. Just be sure to get a cord with high temperature rated insulation.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Even a 1000 watt pot will only pull about 9 amps, so a 14ga wire should be plenty.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Well, actually I misspoke when I said I needed a new cord. It is the bakelite plug that needs to be replaced. Too many times getting too hot over the years. It is the old 2 round pin plug that was common on the old irons, coffee pots, and other small appliances. I've not had any luck finding just the plug so it seems that I need to replace the entire cord and plug as an assembly.

I assume that the Lyman lead pot draws quite a bit more than a coffee pot so I question whether that would be a suitable replacement. I can get them readily enough at ARC or GOODWILL but suspect they would not be satisfactory.

My pins are 11/16" center to center and I know that there are other widths so I'm wondering if the pin spacing has something to do with the carrying capacity of the plug and cord, not so much the spacing in and of itself, but perhaps to keep lesser rated cords from being used on higher rated appliances. In other words, do all 11/16" spaced pins carry the same rating. If so, than I could safely just get a plug and cord with that spacing.
    I have three similar as your Lyman pots, and all three share the same two maladies: Their not-so-good thermostats and the mica-cord connections. For repairs to thermostats, my solution was to simply short them out and use a PID Controller to provide alloy temp I desired. As far as the "plug", on one I tried the cord from an electric percolator coffee maker which worked for a bit... But, ended up, as on other two, totally eliminating the cord. I found their wire pretty much unsolderable, so I put cleaned wire ends in a .22 short case, along with the cleaned ends of a 12-gauge extension cord (for air conditioners) and used a standard crimping tool to squesh tight. I mixed a solution of baking soda and ??? (I cannot recall, sorry) to cover each, and they have all worked famously since.
    Good luck -- I do hope you find a cord/plug which works. I was not so lucky.
    geo

Boolit Buddy

I bypassed the thermostat on my vintage Lyman pot and use a PID with a K probe in the melt. Found an online kiln supply store for the new cord, infinitely better than typical hardware store stuff.

My Lyman Big Dipper after finding the information is rated at 700 watts. Pretty good.

Boolit Master

The old Lyman 10lb. pots were 1000 watts, they were the same as the old Saeco pots.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle