RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Tokarev Shot Loads?

Boolit Buddy

Tokarev Shot Loads?

I recently purchased a surplus Yugoslavian M57 in 7.62x25 Tokarev. Unfortunately, the barrel is so worn, shots tend to fly off in random-ish directions, and I’ve resolved to eventually buy a replacement barrel. In the meantime, the thought struck me that loading shot, especially of BB size (I have a supply of BB lead shot) could make a fairly interesting....experience. Anyone experiment with this? Any thoughts on what I would need to make this work?

Boolit Master

there was a guy that had good luck making shot capsules out of milk jugs, he would mold the plastic to the shape he wanted and load it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Might be able to make a shot capsule out of the two-piece empty vitamin/pharmaceutical capsules. They are made in a variety of sizes. Could be a bit too fragile though.

A size 0 capsule would be about the correct diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    I considered the pill capsule idea, but rejected for the same reason. They’re all designed to dissolve with water anyway. The milk jug idea is interesting though. Maybe make a 2-part mold...or maybe my 3D pen would work to extrude melted plastic into a mold I could use. Good ideas so far. Keep them coming.

Boolit Buddy
    Make your desired capsule shape from wax or other easily turnable material (if you have a lathe) then make a RTV silicone mold. Ultimately. cast the capsule out of polyurethane or styrene in a thickness that will withstand the stresses involved. Polystyrene would probably be the best - would approximate the Speer shot capsules.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    An option is to use the 221 Fireball case, fire-form it in a 223 seating die (do remove the seating plunger) to get the case to full diameter.
    Annealing may be needed.
    Once the case is formed to a straight wall condition, de-prime the case, and trim to 1.386".
    Prime the case.
    Charge case with the desired type/volume of powder desired.
    Place a 1/16" fiber wad over the powder, seating with a wood dowel.
    Run the case into the 7.62x25 sizing die with de-capping/expander unit removed from the die.
    **I recommend a light coat of sizing wax.**
    Add the amount of shot to fill the case to about 1/16" to 3/32" below the case mouth.
    Using a star crimp blank crimp die to seal the case.
    ** If you plan to load up a batch for future use, seal the case end with gel-type fingernail polish.
    Use a different color to denote different shot sizes.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    I made capsules for a 30-30 pistol in the past with soda straws from McDonalds. You can heat them for molding with clothes iron set to the proper temperature determined by experimentation. I believe I wrapped the straw with one or more wraps of "scotch" tape to increase the diameter for a tight fit.

Boolit Master
    This is something interesting.
    I recently got a Takorev from a late friends estate when he passed away.
    I usually take a pistol with a couple shot loads when I go hunting in case I run into a snake.
    I am making my 7.62x25 cases out of .223 casings.
    Playing with shot cartridges might be something to try since I can not find shot cartridges for this pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think you will be able to get the gun to cycle on its own; but as a hand cycled repeater, it may work.

BB size shot will be a wasted effort in any handgun. #9 shot is kind of iffy for snakes even in a .45 ACP. #12 works better for me, and a ten pound bag should last you a life time. Unless you misplace it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    One thing I am thinking of doing is.
    Using the .223 cases for the Tokarev.
    I can size them longer to almost the length of a standard cartridge with a Boolits.
    That will help the feeding issues.
    Not so much on repetitive firing.
    But even hand cycling for the next load.
    With my 9mm and even .45 ACP. With the plastic shot cups.
    If It cycles automatically when firing the first shot load.
    If I have a shot load in the magazine for a follow up round.
    The plastic shot cups gets shattered when it loads automatically.
    But those plastic cup loads seem to hand cycle ok.
    I will see if there is a chance to make the a crimped end on the .223 casing like on some of the .22lr type cartridges.

Use a blank crimp die for the "22lr type" end.
    223/5.56 brass, being rather thick, will limit the amount of shot charge: this, plus the 1.4" case length, is why I recommended using the
    221 Fireball as the parent case.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I agree that the .221 will be a better case to use for both standard rounds , and shot shells.
    I choose the .223 because I get tons of them for free.
    And the way the Tokarev ejects the casings , I have trouble finding the fired cases to reload again.
    I do ream and thin out the .223 cases a little bit to make them fit the correct Boolits for my barrel.
    But you have a point.
    I won't be shooting very many shotshells.
    So using the .221 might just be a better option.
    Plus
    A shotshells is not going to eject as far as a standard load shell casing.
    Thank you for the additional information.

From what I have found working up shot shells for 45 ACP and 9mm, if One gets enough oomph to cycle, generally the pattern suffers.

Boolit Master
    The neck of the 7.62x25 is short. The throat is set up for an 85 grain jacketed bullet. To get any shot volume the shot capsule will have to extend into the powder area of the case.
    I would use smaller shot. One can break down 1 oz number 9 12 ga loads for smaller shot. You might want to polish the pits out of the barrel if it has them. You must legally leave some traces of the rifling intact in a pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a hint from the Tokarev blanks that are made from .223 brass. They are an extended case with a bullet-shaped nose and star crimp. They will feed well semi automatically. With a lower card wad just at the bottom of the neck and filling the bullet shape of the case you should be able to get something close to a 85 grain charge weight of shot. Use small shot - 9's should work.

Boolit Buddy
    If you make a capsule with a flat bottom and integral wad base you should be able to seat the capsule a little past the bottom of the neck without increasing pressure much at all. The pressure from expanding gas from the powder goes in all directions like in balloon. The weakest link is out the barrel.

The capsules I made for my 30-30 TC Contender barrel held 165 grains of #10 shot and intruded into the case about 1/2 inches (if my memory serves me correctly.)

I am NOT recommending anyone do this - merely reporting what I have done in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good insights here. I too have a number of .223 laying around, and a source for obtaining them for $.05/ea used. I like the idea of the star-crimped, over-length case. All I need is the crimping die. Probably going to buy a new barrel for conventional rounds as well, but I’ll report on crimped loads I make.

Boolit Master
    Just use gearnashers ' method
    Stated above in the sticky.