RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to put together a smelter, turkey fryer & Dutch oven. You know, the usual.

Boolit Master

I want to put together a smelter, turkey fryer & Dutch oven. You know, the usual.

I know this has been asked a cabillion times but I made the mistake of reading the reviews on Amazon. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the GasOne B-5350 turkey fryer. I'll post the link below. This thing has a huge 84% rating...unless you ask the 4% who say it's absolute ****. I figured I'd buy one of these things and a 12" 10qt cast iron Dutch Oven, which cost almost as much as the burner! But that's ok. I budgeted for it and I don't have the where with all or equipment to cut a propane tank in half.

Does anyone have experience with a particular burner from Amazon or Wally World or where ever that they can recommend? I'm not sure I believe any of those reviews. I think they have A/I writing most of them.

Also, I need to pick up some ingot molds. That's another silly expensive thing. I'm wondering if plain tin cup cake pans will work.

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-B-5350...45&sr=8-1&th=1
    Last edited by Minerat; 05-28-2023 at 09:02 PM. Reason: language
    [

Boolit Master
    I use browney tins or muffin tins. Set them on a 3/8" steel plate, I picked up a cheap turkey frier at wall mart and use an old rusty duch oven for melting lead with a mushroom tin on a 1" copper pipe as a ladle. Cheap setup, works good for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Any old Bayou Classic turkey fryer will work for a 10 quart Dutch oven. They go on sale every year after Thanksgiving if you can wait that long.

Aluminum or RUSTY steel muffin tins will work for ingot molds, but they are a pale substitute for commercial or welded angle iron molds. Use the pressed one piece designs and not the ones with the seams attaching the cups.

Do not use bright tinned or unrusted steel muffin tins. The ingots will solder in and you will destroy the tins trying to remove them.

Edit: Here's mine…

Last edited by imashooter2; 05-28-2023 at 05:28 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Bayou Classic has been making good Turkey Fryers and shrimp/ crab Boiling rigs for decades , I've been using them for the last 40 years ... they sell many models ... pick one bigger than you think you will need ... Bigger is Always Better ! See them at www.bayouclassic.com

For ingot moulds use Aluminum Mini-Muffin pans ... NOT steel , Not coated but Aluminum mini-muffin pans , these are made by one company - Wilton, see site www.wilton.com
    I have used 12 and 24 cup Aluminum Mini-Muffin Pans for years as ingot mould .
    Be sure to get Aluminum as they make many other pans that aren't as good as the Aluminum pans .
    My favorite is the 12 cup size ... the 24 cup size is hard to handle when full of lead ingots and they take longer to cool .
    I went to the Wilton web site , did a search - Aluminum Mini-muffin Pan - 12 cup is $8.99 and can be ordered from Wilton ...
    The round ingots stack well and fit easily into pot ...they aren't Too Big like some other ingot moulds I've tried ... these have been my favorite for years ...and the price is right too .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-28-2023 at 06:18 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

From one worthless nut to another depending on where you are in ohio Im in north west ohio we can cut a propane tank here. Im near Toledo Ohio.

Boolit Master
    Naturally, I am in SW Ohio between Dayton and Cincinnati but thanks for the offer.
    [

Boolit Master
    Which is better to melt lead with, a banjo burner or a jet burner or does it matter? I'm reading waaay too much about this stuff.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Which is better to melt lead with, a banjo burner or a jet burner or does it matter? I'm reading waaay too much about this stuff.
    Yes you are over thinking a wood fire will melt lead, I have used a steel 5 Gallion pail on a wood fire to melt linotype and use for a mold for wheel weights for my dads tractor.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have a hard time buying a new one when used ones are all over the place.

Heck I just looked on Facebook marketplace and besides a few in the $30 range there is a double burner for $50 that is tempting me...

I have one of these with a cut propane tank on it. Melts a pot fast but you have to turn it down or you can over do it and risk melting zinc WW.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Propa...s%2C134&sr=8-7

The legs are sturdy enough to handle me standing on it @ 200# and fairly low to the ground for safety sake. I still put boards under the legs to keep them from sinking if on soft ground.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

The burner you posted looks very sturdy and will work fine for lead. Walmart sells cheap cast iron Dutch ovens. That’s what I use.
    There’s a member here that sells “redneck gold” ingot molds that are top notch.

Moderator Emeritus

Bayou classic and use corn bread molds that I left out in the rain to rust for better release. My pot was a cut propane tank that I got for free from a local place that refills them. Folks that bring in old ones with the old fillers were charged $5 andi got two for free. Cut like butter with a Sawzall. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Wait a minute...."left in the rain to rust for better release". That sounds worse than some of that spray-on mold release, waaay worse.
    [

Lakehouse2012 has the ingot molds. Check the Vendor Sponsor sub-forum.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I found a 10% off coupon, no tax, and free shipping. So I got the Bayou Classic double jet 22" for $103.00 direct from Bayou Classic. I then noticed my neighbor set her Lodge Dutch Oven on her back deck to power wash it. So I stole it. She never liked me anyway. I'll give it back when I'm done.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Wait a minute...."left in the rain to rust for better release". That sounds worse than some of that spray-on mold release, waaay worse.
    Turns out, it’s waaay better.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I have the cheapest one WalMart sold at the time I bought it years ago and one of the high end models that I bought at an estate sale. The big difference I can see is in the gas valve. There is a big difference in the strength of the frame but the light is strong enough. Both do a good job on the lead.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I recommend stamped aluminum muffin pans over the tin. The tin muffin pans are multi piece and if the ingot does not release, pan destruction will follow.
    Also, a less expensive, more durable alternative to the dutch oven is a stainless steel stockpot from the thrift store. The volume is comparable and the stainless steel is less subject to cracking.
    As to the burner, all I know is that the red regulators are high pressure. I found mine by the side of the road and with a replacement vent control, it works fine. Just be sure it is sturdy enough to support the pot full of lead.
    Happy melting.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Nope. It really works and once rusted up hopefully someone when I am gone, will not try and use them for a cornbread mould. They are what I used when I first started smelting. Didn't have the nice ingot moulds. Someday I might remelt them, but I have about 2,000 lbs so....

Boolit Master
    I ordered a Bayou Classic double jet burner direct from Bayou Classic and got free shipping, didn't have to pay sales tax and it was $24 cheaper than the same exact model on Amazon. Go figure.
    I'm going to send my significant other to some thrift stores to search for a large Durch over or one of the above-mentioned stainless stockpots. Failing that, I'll buy a stainless stockpot, they are about half what a Dutch Oven costs. Or, Bayou Classic offers a 10 QT pre-seasoned Dutch Oven for $61. I wouldn't want to use anything but a pre-seasoned oven. I might get funny tasting lead
    [

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast