Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: I have such a want to own a Springfield Trapdoor...Anyone here have some?

Exclamation I have such a want to own a Springfield Trapdoor...Anyone here have some?

In particularly I want a 1866 in 50-70! Just got done watching some good videos on the wagon box fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0pxEqmcvh8 and it has relit a fire for an itch that I never got to scratch.

I really need to grab me a Trapdoor sometime! What do you guys love and hate about owning them? Only thing that would concern me is cracking the stock.

Another good watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8K7BOw3czE

Here's one of my 50-70 loads for my McNelly Sharps Carbine next to a 9mm 147gr.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail0000.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	314477
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 05-27-2023 at 08:35 PM.

Having owned them in both 50-70 and 45-70 they are great rifles. Condition is everything of course less you go looking for parts. I shot lots of smokless 5744 and also black whith no issues. I even had what is called officiers Model trapdoor, a short version that was sort of fancy grade. Today, I have sold them all but one standard rifle model 1884 that is very high condition and shoots great. No complaints on the Trapdoor, just be sure the gun you get is in good condition and suitable for shooting if that is your goal.

I've got an 1870 in 50-70 that I've had for 30+ years, bought it from a competition shotgun dealer in Ohio, not there normal kind of inventory, it had also been blued and the stock refinished completely, ruining it for collector value but it is fun to shoot. Lots of 5744 has gone down the barrel.

I'm in the market for a 45-70 model. I've got the dies, several hundred pieces of brass and several molds, just need the rifle now.

Boolit Master

Don't expect 1 inch groups, but they are fun to shoot and will keep you in deer meat.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I have scratched many "itches". If you have the extra cash, I say go for it. Things are not getting cheaper. If you like the gun, you will keep it and use it. If not, it will sit in the safe for years.

My recommendation is if a gun sits unused for five years, think hard about getting rid of it unless it is a gift or family "treasure". I made the mistake of not thinning the herd earlier in my life. That resulted in having dozens of guns to get rid of and it becomes a real hassle.

If money is tight, talk to your wife. IMO most guns are toys. Much better ways to spend money. By "toys", I mean guns that are not needed to maintain proficiency, protect your family and/or hunt with. I suspect this gun will be a toy, but nothing wrong with that if you can afford it.
    Don Verna

I would love t o have a Trapdoor in .50-70 as well, but there are not many around here to look at in person and it is not something I think I would buy long distance.

I do have a pretty nice 1884 with the Buffington rear sight, man them guys in the 1880s must have had some microscopic x-ray vision.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master

There's also Remington rolling blocks in .50-70 out there if the cartridge, more than the action, is your thing...

Both cartridges for the rifle are fun - the .50-70 in that you can play a game of pulling the trigger and uttering the phrase "Waaaaaaaaaait for it" before the big bullet impacts.

As a rifle, I think the trapdoor is a great example to have on hand for demonstrating the oxymoron of "effective government". Designed to convert existing .577 caliber muzzleloaders as a cost-savings measure, they were never fielded in anything that shot a .577 caliber cartridge through a ready-made barrel like the British Snider. And then, rather than convert said muzzleloaders, they went and made new ones.

A bit of an awkward action to run - at least so I've found from my limited time on them. Definitely one to own and appreciate from the viewpoint of historical context.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Absolutely nothing to hate. Knowing you are shooting a piece of history is good enough. I can't speak to the 50-70 caliber but shooting my src in 45-70 at 10" plates at 100 yards one at a time is a blast.

Boolit Master
    I shot a friends .50-70 with black powder in a Remington Rolling Block, it was a lot of fun. Go for it!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    There's also Remington rolling blocks in .50-70 out there if the cartridge, more than the action, is your thing...

Both cartridges for the rifle are fun - the .50-70 in that you can play a game of pulling the trigger and uttering the phrase "Waaaaaaaaaait for it" before the big bullet impacts.

As a rifle, I think the trapdoor is a great example to have on hand for demonstrating the oxymoron of "effective government". Designed to convert existing .577 caliber muzzleloaders as a cost-savings measure, they were never fielded in anything that shot a .577 caliber cartridge through a ready-made barrel like the British Snider. And then, rather than convert said muzzleloaders, they went and made new ones.

A bit of an awkward action to run - at least so I've found from my limited time on them. Definitely one to own and appreciate from the viewpoint of historical context.
    I haven't seen very many rolling blocks in 50-70

Aren't they rather rare and $$$?

Boolit Buddy
    I found a Remington Roller on GunBroker several years ago. It was advertised as action parts with an obstruction in the bore. I was looking for an action at rhe time to build a 40-82WCF. I already had the GM 40 caliber barrel bought and as i was getting things ready to send for case color when curiosity dictated t needed to find out what the problem was with the bore. From the breach I started drilling and found about 2" of what looked like Durham water puty. Then oily rag. The next 24" or so was a wood cleaning rod that had broken and wedged along side the of a metal end. It cleaned up nice . Wasn't pitted or even discolored. Chamber cast showed it was 50-70 GOV and the hammer profile and the second safety after loading linked it to a NYS Militia. It spoiled the 40-82WCF project but turned out to be a nice shooting piece of history. Trail Boss worked with a 350gr .515 bullets.
    One never knows what's at the end of a project and where it will turn out.
    The 40-82WCF was built on areceiver from a #5 Remington action and gun-stock Inc wood.

Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I haven't seen very many rolling blocks in 50-70

Aren't they rather rare and $$$?
    I'm a bit iffy on the some of the facts - more my Dad's era of study than mine. I want to say it was the NY National Guard that was the big user of them - considering the short life of the round. The politics were a bit of a mess - the Army went trapdoor largely due to the fact they owned the Springfield Armory and could pay them and any inventors employed by them less, and I've always felt a bit of a vibe that folks involved with the trial were told in advance what they were going to "prefer". New York may have been trying to thrown their in-house Remington factory a bone, or they may have decided the rolling block was the better rifle. It's a little different than the average roller in that it drops the hammer to half-cock on closure of the breech. I consider it the 1870 version of the S&W Hillary Hole.

There's a book out there called "Misfire" by a guy named Hallihan covering the train wreck of U.S. small arms procurement from George Washington forward. I don't recall how much focus it has on the trapdoor era, but it's a good read all the same.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Keep an eye on Lodgewood's listings. Once in a while David has a trapdoor come through in various models/calibers.

Boolit Master
    Also check out Simpson Ltd for Swedish rolling blocks. It seems like every year they get in a shipment of old rollers, although I think the supply for this year might be about gone. If they have any left, they usually are not as good, or priced too high. When they get a new shipment , they generally have some good ones at a reasonable price, but the good deals sell fast.