Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know nothing about this Garand.

Boolit Master

The rear sight has the NM aperture. Rotation of 180 degrees changes elevation 1/2 minute. the rear sight base could be regular issue or National Match. The "clicks" of the NM sights are less than regular sights . If you lock the op rod back you should be able to see info on the barrel. You should be able to see a date and manufacturer. CMP sold several grades of Garand Rifles. The op-rod, trigger group, and bolt should be marked as to the manufacturer. Of course collectors are looking for rifles with matching parts.

Boolit Master
    As Winger Ed pointed out in post #6, the M1 Garand was designed for 30-06 ammo in a specific pressure and bullet weight range. Too much pressure, or too heavy a bullet, and you risk bending the operating rod. Read up on reloading for the M1 Garand and select loads that it will like. Generally, you can't go wrong with 150 grain bullets and IMR-4895 loaded to around 2700 fps. Don't shoot bullets heavier than 180 grains, and don't use higher velocity factory loads.

Don’t be this guy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5108.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	314719

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Don’t be this guy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5108.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	314719
    I wish I was that guy, lol.

My bolt is currently locked backoV6ut and I'm trying to figure out how to release it without injury.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I wish I was that guy, lol.

My bolt is currently locked backoV6ut and I'm trying to figure out how to release it without injury.
    Hold the op rod handle back with your right hand and depress the follower using fingers of your left hand. As long as you hold follower back -- no harm!
    My first suggestion is to click on, https://archive.org/details/gunmanua...ge/n1/mode/2up and read this wonderful pamphlet. They clearly explain all operation you need to know vis the M1 Garand.
    A supplemental suggestion, too, is for you to, in your Browser, type in " m1 garand operation ", and the, third or fourth result is McLeagueLibrary.org's "Maintenance Guide For Non-Military Organizations" mini-book on pretty much any/all you might need to know vis operation of your rifle, as a second source.
    Best!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    There are a couple of good posts here from knowledgeable folks. for further info I'd suggest registering on the CMP website and posting what you have there in the Garand and Bolt Action sections (for that rifle) and see what they have to say also. https://b34da70920f9-006155.vbulletin.net/ Oddly that is the website link, they recently changed it.

it's a shame but fwiw the CMP forum website is currently a horror story since they improved it well over a month ago - - can't register. can't sign in, can't post, can't receive notifications, + etc. - participation has dropped drastically
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    I know a lot of folks have had problems with it. For some reason I didn't. I did have to sign off and open the new site and log back in and it's been ok. I'd love for John Beard to comment on that 1903.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Nice Rifle! I always enjoy shooting "family guns".

I have an Amega Mounts scope mount for my one of my Garands. They say the mounts from CMP were their's in case you need a part or instructions. Do you have the stock part that the mount replaced? Not needed, but I like to keep all the parts.

The rear sight does not look right in the picture. Does it have a lens?

Consider joining the Garand Collectors Association. They put out a great magazine and membership only costs $25/year.

Be prepared for erratic delivery of the magazine. I joined up a few years ago and did not renew because I wasn't sure that they were still active. Also the content didn't fit my interests well.

Such is the problem with organizations publications that rely on volunteers to put out the magazine.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    # 1850063 number -
    1943 date taken from Springfield Armory records - - currently own a Sept. 1942 _ serial is 937XXX - 1942 serial numbers end at 1,090,310 -
    Thank you also for the reference ... with that , my receiver is june ,1941 ..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

I found the ammo for it, and the CMP paperwork.

Attachment 314847
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like you are all set to go shooting!

As to the Garand Collectors Association: I think it is a wonderful group. These are people that care enough to volunteer their time! The Journal comes out quarterly; I don't think I've ever not gotten an issue since I joined several years ago. I don't wait for it but I always enjoy reading it when it comes.

Today I was reading the current Journal, Spring 2023. Things that caught my eye right away were "The 25th Anniversary of Saving Private Ryan: An Interview with Captain Dale Dye (USMC Retired)" and "From the Armorer's 'Workbench - Short Stroking". 42 pages total.

Our gun club had a military shoot several years ago and GCA sent me several back issues of the Journal to hand out. I still have copies of Fall 2018, Winter 2018, and Spring 2019. If the OP would like to read them so he can see for himself what's inside I'd be happy to send a set. Drop me a PM with a snail mail address. I don't see a SLED in your ammo box; I will include a SLED blueprint so you can make one.

I think if you buy "stuff" from the CMP you have to be a member of an affiliated club. GCA is such a club.

Boolit Master
    Yes, You do need to belong to one of their listed affiliate clubs in order to purchase guns or ammo. I would never purchase ammo from them since it is triple normal cost but they use that money to support their megadollar ranges. The funny part is that the NRA is not considered as one of their qualifying clubs! As far as the GCA goes, If you have a Garand or even an interest in Garands you need to belong the GCA.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    The Garand is also a great cast bullet rifle, although the 1:10 twist limits max velocity a little. Optionally, you can get a gas plug with a valve in it so that you can 'turn off' the semi-auto function for lighter cast loads (when it won't cycle reliably), or as some of us have done, buy an extra gas plug and just drill it out. That way, with loads which you want to cycle you use the proper gas plug and for loads that you don't want to cycle you use the drilled out plug. Because the gas system is just a small hole n the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle, it is very tolerant of lube, lead, PC, etc.
    I just found this old thread and would like to know how you "drill out" the gas plug. I want to shoot light cast loads and hand-cycle the action. What size drill,etc? Thanks..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12