Lee PrecisionPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know nothing about this Garand.

Boolit Master

I know nothing about this Garand.

My dad recently passed and I acquired this Garand. I have never shot one. He also had a bunch of .30-06 ammo marked "Garand".

What can anyone tell me about this rifle?

Attachment 314457

Attachment 314459

Attachment 314460

Attachment 314462

Attachment 314463
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

#1850063 makes it a august 1943 product of the Springfield Armory - case + stock marking show that it was purchased from the Civilian Markmanship Program - in recent past - if he was original purchaser he should have kept the certificate issued with it -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Be prepared to be impressed with controllable 30-06 power.
    There’s nothing like a Garand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that certificate might be under the foam padding in the case--better look. A few random observations: If you've never fired one you may be about to fall in love. I've got 5 of them, and had the chore of lugging one around for many miles in the Army. Heavy, but I would have had nothing else. If they have a good barrel, which I'll bet yours does, they can be highly accurate. Looks like yours possesses a target rear sight and is set up to have a barrel mounted scope should you desire to install one. Assuming that it's in the original .30-06 caliber/cartridge it's highly effective. Many have been converted to .308 Win./7.62mm NATO and are equally as effective. Since yours is a CMP rifle it has been thoroughly gone through and reconditioned as needed and is virtually a brand new rifle. Replicas of the original training manual can be easily found for instruction on field stripping and cleaning. One more thing--your Dad had excellent taste in firearms!

DG

Boolit Master
    Beautiul rifle, I have a NM, 30/06 grand, very accurate, once you find how to load and shoot it, you will love it. Be very careful when you reload for it, check the reloading books, learn to clean and care for it, if you want to hunt or compete with it, you will be impressed with the accuracy... I lugged a m14 (m21) or a m24, for many years, the m14 was the next step up in the progression, the m24 was a step back, all wonderful, accurate 1000yd rifles, now you have the m16, a 300 meter gun. unless you get into the 300 mag or 338 lupa or 50 bmg.

Beautiful.

Look up the GI loads for the Garand- they are not quite as hot & heavy as other .30-06.
    Shooting factory 180 gr. .30-06 ammo is said to be hard on a Garand and will eventually trash out the operating rod.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The Garand is also a great cast bullet rifle, although the 1:10 twist limits max velocity a little. Optionally, you can get a gas plug with a valve in it so that you can 'turn off' the semi-auto function for lighter cast loads (when it won't cycle reliably), or as some of us have done, buy an extra gas plug and just drill it out. That way, with loads which you want to cycle you use the proper gas plug and for loads that you don't want to cycle you use the drilled out plug. Because the gas system is just a small hole n the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle, it is very tolerant of lube, lead, PC, etc.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    If that rear aperture is true to the original match sights, you have ½ minute elevation adjustments. Just rotate the peep 180 degrees. If the base is also NM, the windage knob will have very fine threads (64tpi IIRC) to give you ½ minute windage adjustments.

Robert

Boolit Master

Beautiful rifle!
    Have a "Garand" time shooting your dad's Garand!
    Der Gebirgsjager, I agree very good taste in rifle and pistols.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Rifle! I always enjoy shooting "family guns".

I have an Amega Mounts scope mount for my one of my Garands. They say the mounts from CMP were their's in case you need a part or instructions. Do you have the stock part that the mount replaced? Not needed, but I like to keep all the parts.

The rear sight does not look right in the picture. Does it have a lens?

Consider joining the Garand Collectors Association. They put out a great magazine and membership only costs $25/year.

It looks to be a national match grade from the CMP with that peep sight, but I guess it could have been added by anyone. A joy to shoot
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, the listing I have suggests your gorgeous rifle was produced in November of 1942. Be it then, or as suggested in another post as August of '43 -- still a rifle VERY much worth keeping!
    I am curious re the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultimak.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	314489 UltiMAK photo. As far as I know (generally, not much ) -- UltiMAK is a 'scope mount? Just curious....
    geo

Nice looking rifle. I have two Garands and love them both. I'm betting you'll love yours!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    For what it's worth, the listing I have suggests your gorgeous rifle was produced in November of 1942. Be it then, or as suggested in another post as August of '43 -- still a rifle VERY much worth keeping!
    I am curious re the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultimak.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	314489 UltiMAK photo. As far as I know (generally, not much ) -- UltiMAK is a 'scope mount? Just curious....
    geo
    # 1850063 number -
    1943 date taken from Springfield Armory records - - currently own a Sept. 1942 _ serial is 937XXX - 1942 serial numbers end at 1,090,310 -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sa date codes.jpg  
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 05-28-2023 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    # 1850063 number -
    1943 date taken from Springfield Armory records - - currently own a Sept. 1943 _ serial is 937XXX - 1942 serial numbers end at 1,090,310 -
    Thank you, shutzen-jager! I, some years back, purchased a Fulton Armory M1 Garand (with a new Kreuger barrel) which was advertised as, "Springfield Armory Garand M1 – .30-’06 S/n 1,007,xxx -- November 1942 manufacture -- with NM trigger and John Garand mods." The listing went on to state, "M1s manufactured by the Springfield Armory with serial numbers between 940,251 and 1,008,899 were made in November 1942." Your data shows, "1942 serial numbers end at 1,090,310 " -- which does fit mine in at Fulton's stated date.
    I (foolishly) simply Googled the number of OP's, and that's where I got the (0bviously, thanks to you, incorrect) date.
    Is there an accurate source on Internet for Garand manufacture dates? Again, obviously, when one Googles -- results are not always (duh!) accurate. I checked OldGuns.net Military manufacture date reference (https://oldguns.net/sn_php/mildateslookup.php) and they, too, confirm your 1943 dating -- but provide no month.
    Sorry vis pasting a wrong year, and thanks for correction! Again, if you know of an accurate site?
    geo

Scott A. Duff site + books with info he obtained directly thru Springfield Armory, Winchecher, IH,H+R, + government records - i also made a mistake + typed 1943 + not 1942 in my reply -

as they say in latin

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Those Ultimaks are the best scout rail; have two myself. Pretty spendy @ $200 but well-worth it.

You have a very nice Garand. As the others have said it is probably a NM Garand. Enjoy it, as they are gret rifles. Mine was made in February of 1943 and shoots quite nicely.
    RudyN

Boolit Master

"Garand thumb" is a real thing. If you are unfamiliar with loading the Garand watch your thumb and enjoy the rifle.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast