Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air gun Compressor

Air gun Compressor

I have said that I would just use a hand pump to pump up my air guns and I have, and it is good exercise, but sometimes exercise is not what I want to do, especially if it is hot out.
    The high cost of compressors have pretty much turned me off, but recently there have been some pretty inexpensive units available via Amazon and Ebay.
    Anyway, I found a company called Vevor that sells all kinds of things including compressors.
    The have a compressor that is only $172.00, but it is 12 vdc and uses a separate power supply for 110 vac.
    Price is tempting, but did not like having to mess with two pieces to use it on 110 vac.
    They also have a unit that has the power supply built in and that is the one that I decided to go with.
    The description is deceiving as it states it is 24 vdc and 110 vac or 220 vac depending on what you are reading.
    After receiving the unit I was relieved to find it was actually 12 vdc and selectable between 110 and 220 vac.
    The unit has an adjustable cutoff to turn it off at whatever pressure your air gun uses up to 4500 psi.
    The price of the unit is $222.99, with $11.15 off coupon it cost me a total of$211.84 with free shipping.
    It only took about 3 days to get it.
    I figured the compressor would be loud and noisy, but it is a lot quieter than I thought it would be, not really noisy at all.
    It pumped up my 1358 Beeman under lever from 1000 psi to 3000 psi in the time it took me to reload the 2 magazines with .22 cal pellets.
    So far, I am quite happy with it.
    The big question will be is how long it will last.

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep us posted. The inexpensive units can be a crap shoot.

I nearly bought a Yong Heng but decided to go with an air tank.

Good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I run A Yong Heng and it works great. Only run for 10 min at a rip. No one in my area can fill a tank. The fire department sends everything out to a place an hour away.

I hope yours works out well as I hope they all do since they cost a decent amount. Let us know how it goes.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I figured for the intermittent use I will give it I would give it a shot.
    So far, I really like it.
    For small caliber air guns, it should be fine.
    I bought it directly from Vevor and it shipped out of Texas and has a year warranty.
    It appears well made for costing so little.

Boolit Master
    Keep us posted, I have looked, want to buy one, not Shure what I want just yet ?? Prices have come down a bunch..

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Keep us posted. The inexpensive units can be a crap shoot.

I nearly bought a Yong Heng but decided to go with an air tank.

Good luck.
    I went with both for my Air Venturi Avenger. Paid a premium for the tank and filter, but they are USA made. The only issue I had with my compressor was initially to tighten the fittings. Soapy water spray to the rescue. I use the ice in a 5 gallon bucket and just recently switched to a larger water pump. I do have a cheap flow indicator to make sure water is flowing. I run it about 10 or so minutes, going to around 60 Celsius MAX. I bought a five gallon bucket of the AWD 46 oil. Glad I did because after filling up my 72 cu tank, the oil was black. I will just change it every time I fill the tank. So far so good.
    Ron

Edit. Just checked and I paid $220 with a lifetime warranty- probably for however long the vendor sticks around
    Last edited by MrWolf; 05-29-2023 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have the vertical Vevor. There has been a bit of a learning curve.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have said that I would just use a hand pump to pump up my air guns and I have, and it is good exercise, but sometimes exercise is not what I want to do, especially if it is hot out.
    The high cost of compressors have pretty much turned me off, but recently there have been some pretty inexpensive units available via Amazon and Ebay.
    Anyway, I found a company called Vevor that sells all kinds of things including compressors.
    The have a compressor that is only $172.00, but it is 12 vdc and uses a separate power supply for 110 vac.
    Price is tempting, but did not like having to mess with two pieces to use it on 110 vac.
    They also have a unit that has the power supply built in and that is the one that I decided to go with.
    The description is deceiving as it states it is 24 vdc and 110 vac or 220 vac depending on what you are reading.
    After receiving the unit I was relieved to find it was actually 12 vdc and selectable between 110 and 220 vac.
    The unit has an adjustable cutoff to turn it off at whatever pressure your air gun uses up to 4500 psi.
    The price of the unit is $222.99, with $11.15 off coupon it cost me a total of$211.84 with free shipping.
    It only took about 3 days to get it.
    I figured the compressor would be loud and noisy, but it is a lot quieter than I thought it would be, not really noisy at all.
    It pumped up my 1358 Beeman under lever from 1000 psi to 3000 psi in the time it took me to reload the 2 magazines with .22 cal pellets.
    So far, I am quite happy with it.
    The big question will be is how long it will last.
    Good luck & best wishes with your new compressor! I recall buying our first microwave oven (a "Radar Range") for about $800.00 USD while NOW -- yesterday -- at Wal*Mart we saw a microwave for $49.00! Maybe prices are similarly dropping on hi-psi compressors, 'specially with the demonstrated popularity of PCP arms?
    I purchased the Nomad II Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad II.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	314533 when it was first introduced -- ~ $600.00 USD, then -- and note that it has been updated to the Nomad III. I have no regrets with mine, and hope you are as happy with your Vevor!
    geo

I bought a Spiritech Compressor for my AV Avenger and so far it has worked perfectly. It has an Automatic Shutoff and will run on either 12 VDC or 110 AC It was about $300.

I also got this little air bottle so I can refill a couple of times with out the compressor.

I am about to start Tuning my gun and the first thing I'm going to do is turn the regulator down to @ 2400 psi. That should increase my shots per fill to about 50 with no loss in FPS

Randy

Sorry I can't get that pic to erect, the site just doesn't like my Cell phone pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2331.jpg   IMG_2308.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-29-2023 at 12:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

W.R.Buchanan -- you wrote, "I also got this little air bottle so I can refill a couple of times with out the compressor" which has me really curious. Albeit my Nomad II advises against its use to fill, pretty much, anything other than the tank on the PCP arm, I've lonnng desired a bottle similar to the one you have, and using my compressor in "stages". E.g., say, run it for five minutes; stop and let cool for ten minutes; repeat...
    Might you share some details on your bottle (size, source, and ~$$$s)? Also any (required) adapters for filling? And, lastly, the "life expectancy" of the bottle; sadly those I've explored have a relatively short usage time...
    Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Master

following with interest
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Moderator Emeritus

Geo, I bought the following: https://www.topgun-airguns.com/produ...psi-tank-copy/

Tiger Shark 410 Cu In/74 Cu Ft 4500 PSI Tank
    Alpha In-Line Moisture Filter

My total for both was $1,125, I think. Close enough. Yea I paid a lot but it is made in America. The tanks need to be certified every 15 years so at my age (63) good enough. With my Yong Heng compressor I can fill the tank in two shots. I made a cart from an old tool box and mounted my mailbox that got hit and use it to hold the tank. I have a fan blowing on the compressor to help. Let me know if you need more info or pics.
    Ron

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, MrWolf for valuable info! I plan on ringing vendor Thursday afternoon to check availability... I have interest in their "Guppy" model. I question if I will need the moisture filter as I have two in tandem which came (one came, I bought a 2nd) with my Nomad... The Nomad also has a built-in filter which must be changed periodically. I'd guess the vendor can answer this question... BUT, the Guppy surely may shortly make it to my "BUY ME" list. Also, I may have (?) requisite piping. Albeit the Nomad works on 12V (e.g., my truck battery) as well as 110VAC, lugging the Nomad...
    geo

Other than the name on the side, my Vevor is absolutely identical to Randy's Spiritech, right down to the white label on the corner of the machine.
    Absolutely love it, if it holds up I will continue to do so.
    Time will tell.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Thank you, MrWolf for valuable info! I plan on ringing vendor Thursday afternoon to check availability... I have interest in their "Guppy" model. I question if I will need the moisture filter as I have two in tandem which came (one came, I bought a 2nd) with my Nomad... The Nomad also has a built-in filter which must be changed periodically. I'd guess the vendor can answer this question... BUT, the Guppy surely may shortly make it to my "BUY ME" list. Also, I may have (?) requisite piping. Albeit the Nomad works on 12V (e.g., my truck battery) as well as 110VAC, lugging the Nomad...
    geo
    There are youtube videos on these and on their filter. I chose to be extra cautious which is why I paid more. When you call, make sure you know what "addition" you are getting. I only wanted the additional guage and when I got the invoice I had noticed an additional item. I called and "Andrew" added something and stated everyone gets these extras. I explained I am not everyone and not to do that. That was my only hiccup and they have answered several questions like knowing that the turn valve on the tank will relieve the pressure in the whip. I had to call when I couldn't figure it out. Thought that was to drain the tank. So far I am not sorry about any of my purchases.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    I recently bought the vevor 12v with the 110 to 12v box for around $190 delivered. I've only used it three or four times but so far it's worked fine.

Boolit Master

Interested in links and prices along with the review of the pumps you guys have. I recently purchased a used Benjamin Marauder .22 with tank for $500, got the tank filled for just over $8 (for any size tank, or rifle) at a scuba shop but had some hiccups. First, they didn't have the male-to-male fitting to fill my bottle so had to order my own, then they said my gauge was not working, theirs said 45K psi and the bottle did not move, and that my bleeder valve was also not working. As I am new to this, I checked out YouTube and found out they were just ignorant of how these bottles work, so am looking for ways to fill my own bottle.

Edit: This is the bottle that came with the Marauder.
    Last edited by Omega; 05-31-2023 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Add pic
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    W.R.Buchanan -- you wrote, "I also got this little air bottle so I can refill a couple of times with out the compressor" which has me really curious. Albeit my Nomad II advises against its use to fill, pretty much, anything other than the tank on the PCP arm, I've lonnng desired a bottle similar to the one you have, and using my compressor in "stages". E.g., say, run it for five minutes; stop and let cool for ten minutes; repeat...
    Might you share some details on your bottle (size, source, and ~$$$s)? Also any (required) adapters for filling? And, lastly, the "life expectancy" of the bottle; sadly those I've explored have a relatively short usage time...
    Thanks!
    geo
    Geo: I got that bottle off Ebay or Amazon I didn't see the exact same bottle and regulator set up when I looked today. It was about $70 and good to 4500 PSI. It is made out of cast aluminum and has about a 1/2" wall thickness.

It is about .5 liter cap. This one doesn't have enough capacity to fill to 4500 psi despite be filled to 4500 psi. But it will fill twice to above 3500 psi as long as I don't run the gun down too far.

My compressor has a Temp Gauge on it so it doesn't over heat. I have ran it for 20 minutes on the initial fill of the bottle with no problems and it never got close to shut off heat. The compressor also has an auto shutoff when it reaches the desired PSI.

My Bottle came with the Regulator and Fill Hose. I looked and can't find the exact same complete set up I bought on either Amazon or eBay and the prices are all over the place. There are two psi ratings on the bottles and you have to pay attention if you want the .4500 psi version. I did see the complete set up in the 3000 psi version.

There are also Used Carbon Fibre air tanks for Scott Air Pacs (like firemen use) for around $100 or a little more for ones that are currently certified. They are like 74 CU in.

You'll have to poke around to find the good deals on this stuff cuz all of it is made in China and they don't speak English.

Here's the regulator (pay attention to the threads on it and the tank) https://www.amazon.com/M18x1-5-Paint...%2C3981&sr=8-8

Here's a bottle https://www.amazon.com/Gurlleu-Alumi...552715&sr=8-77

The Regulator has a fill port just like the one on your gun, and then uses a fill hose just like the one on you compressor.

You will need to research this a bit as there are a few little nuances and gotchas to avoid. If you can't find the Tank and reg together then you'll have to get them separate, make sure the threads on the tank and reg are the Same.

hope this helps

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Geo: I got that bottle off Ebay or Amazon I didn't see the exact same bottle and regulator set up when I looked today. It was about $70 and good to 4500 PSI. It is made out of cast aluminum and has about a 1/2" wall thickness.

It is about .5 liter cap. This one doesn't have enough capacity to fill to 4500 psi despite be filled to 4500 psi. But it will fill twice to above 3500 psi as long as I don't run the gun down too far.

My compressor has a Temp Gauge on it so it doesn't over heat. I have ran it for 20 minutes on the initial fill of the bottle with no problems and it never got close to shut off heat. The compressor also has an auto shutoff when it reaches the desired PSI.

My Bottle came with the Regulator and Fill Hose. I looked and can't find the exact same complete set up I bought on either Amazon or eBay and the prices are all over the place. There are two psi ratings on the bottles and you have to pay attention if you want the .4500 psi version. I did see the complete set up in the 3000 psi version.

There are also Used Carbon Fibre air tanks for Scott Air Pacs (like firemen use) for around $100 or a little more for ones that are currently certified. They are like 74 CU in.

You'll have to poke around to find the good deals on this stuff cuz all of it is made in China and they don't speak English.

Here's the regulator (pay attention to the threads on it and the tank) https://www.amazon.com/M18x1-5-Paint...%2C3981&sr=8-8

Here's a bottle https://www.amazon.com/Gurlleu-Alumi...552715&sr=8-77

The Regulator has a fill port just like the one on your gun, and then uses a fill hose just like the one on you compressor.

You will need to research this a bit as there are a few little nuances and gotchas to avoid. If you can't find the Tank and reg together then you'll have to get them separate, make sure the threads on the tank and reg are the Same.

hope this helps

Randy
    Thank you! I am pretty much afraid vis the different threads, sizes, and fittings -- so this may be an issue. One of the vendors I've purchased from has an Refurbished Air Venturi Mini Wingman, 100 cu in PCP tank, DOM 5/19 at $240.00 USD with free shipping -- so this IS an option I had been eyeballing. On the other hand, the tank you cited is US $40.00! Quite the bit cheaper. The regulator is $50.00 USD -- sooo, I could get and regulator for ~$90.00! The tank you site is 450cc which is (to my math) roughly 25.5 cubic inches -- roughly 1/4th the capacity of the Wingman. My "main" (shoot the most) airguns are my Benjamin Maruaders which have a 215cc air tank on board. I'm kind of thinking that the tank you suggest will be big enough for at least two top-off's (my starting with a full tank, filled at home) which would no doubt satisfy 99% of my needs for a day in field or on the range.
    I may just cog on it for a day or two -- and then have the tank & regulator you suggest headed my way!
    Thank you again, ever so much!!!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Guys, be careful buying tanks on eBay. None of the "cheap" ones I found were DOT approved when I was shopping for tanks. These things are bombs if they fail.

In my case, I had the added need to be able to get the tank filled at a scuba shop. They will not fill a tank that does not have DOT a sticker.

Also, the tank needs to be recertified every 5 years. My shop gets it done for about $35. Tanks over 15 years old cannot be recertified.

Life is short. I was 70 when I bought my 74 cu ft tank for just under $600. If I am still shooting at 85 I will get a new tank and sell the old one to someone who "wants to save money" and fills his own tank. Total cost of tank and certifications for 15 years is under $45/yr. Just does not make sense to "save money" sometimes.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast