PBcastcoRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air gun Compressor

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Guys, be careful buying tanks on eBay. None of the "cheap" ones I found were DOT approved when I was shopping for tanks. These things are bombs if they fail.

In my case, I had the added need to be able to get the tank filled at a scuba shop. They will not fill a tank that does not have DOT a sticker.

Also, the tank needs to be recertified every 5 years. My shop gets it done for about $35. Tanks over 15 years old cannot be recertified.

Life is short. I was 70 when I bought my 74 cu ft tank for just under $600. If I am still shooting at 85 I will get a new tank and sell the old one to someone who "wants to save money" and fills his own tank. Total cost of tank and certifications for 15 years is under $45/yr. Just does not make sense to "save money" sometimes.
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. I know I paid a lot for my setup that I just got so fed up with the Chinese bull crap breaking. My chicken coop automatic door (two of them) in like a few months and my piece of junk Creality Cr6-se (Chinese company deliberately sold a motherboard but neglected to say needed to change jumpers so they could sell more products that would not fix the issue) were the two most recent issues that pushed me to buying made in USA. I know, no guarantee but I am so pissed at what is going on I said enough (when I can).
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    If money is no object! The US made Alpha Carrett2 looks the ducks guts, $ 1999 .I have made inquiries as to importing one to OZ .will have to trim the herd first to pay for it! Mal in au.

Boolit Buddy
    My Bad!! Made in chinner,not USA.sold in the US with back up! Will do more investigation! Mal.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hahndorf1874 View Post
    If money is no object! The US made Alpha Carrett2 looks the ducks guts, $ 1999 .I have made inquiries as to importing one to OZ .will have to trim the herd first to pay for it! Mal in au.
    Funny you mentioned this brand as I do not hear much about it. I was looking at getting this model:

https://www.topgun-airguns.com/produ...te-compressor/

It seems to be a good unit but $1500 is too much of an investment for my needs. I only shoot .177 and .22 cal PCP's, so using a tank, and getting it filled when needed, is not too onerous. If I ever jump to the .30 cal. or larger, then a compressor would be worth the investment.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Funny you mentioned this brand as I do not hear much about it. I was looking at getting this model:

https://www.topgun-airguns.com/produ...te-compressor/

It seems to be a good unit but $1500 is too much of an investment for my needs. I only shoot .177 and .22 cal PCP's, so using a tank, and getting it filled when needed, is not too onerous. If I ever jump to the .30 cal. or larger, then a compressor would be worth the investment.
    I did a lot of back and forth (in my head because I wanted good advice ) on what to get. I figured spending the $233 including taxes was worth the gamble since it has a lifetime warranty or basically till the seller goes bye-bye. Using a 5 gallon bucket to cool and changing the oil frequently was a minor inconvenience for a compressor that has good reviews and plenty of videos on. I do not get much time to constantly shoot pcp, but so far it has been great. Here is my setup. Very basic and still deciding on its final home.
    Ron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (11).jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	314669

Boolit Buddy
    Has any one tried the hand pump conversion to power? You see a fair bit on UT design wise,haven’t heard if the are the way to go,much cheaper than compressors,I could easy make a double pumper even with my limited skills! No reviews to date so far. Cheers Mal.

Boolit Buddy
    https://youtu.be/Kl9FU1uGNd8

Watch on

Here’s mine won’t fill yer tank but will fill yer rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    CH, g,day, more info please what rpm is the shaft the arm is attached to doing?looks about 15-20 rpm,does the pump get very hot?I have seen some rather clever designs using two pumps,Will yours pump to high pressure required by say a Impact 3 or a RAW 1000. Haven’t got started yet with PCP ,picking brains!! Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently got the cheapest compressor I could find on eBay. Hated to do it, but I got the vevor at $150. Chinese knock off and I hate that, but I wish I had more to spend. Anyway, I'm satisfied so far. It's really loud but it pumps the avenger up from very low to 4300 in about 7 minutes. A top off from 3400 or so takes about 3 minutes. Just long enough for me to load 3 mags, give or take. The verdict is still out on how long it lasts but so far so good.

Boolit Buddy
    Shaft arm rotates at 12RPM, gets warm to the touch but not hot, pump is a cheap 4 uncles from Amazon that’s rated at 4500psi $79.95 I believe I paid. 1000psi to 3000psi in about 7-10 min. My rifles are all 3000psi max. Did one time fill my rifle from a complete de-gas to 3000psi , not sure how long it took but pump did not get even close to what I would say was too hot.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks CH, just the info I need . Cheers Mal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12