PBcastcoTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: NEF H&R Extractors/Ejectors

Boolit Master

NEF H&R Extractors/Ejectors

It appears at this point in time about all of these are made of unobtanium and if found are stupid $, and has been this way for a while. Has anyone in the nation or in your tribe made or modified these things and if so, process? I have some spare shotgun ones that I have picked up over time and have stared at them for extended periods brain rattling. Started leaning into a couple stub projects that have been laying around and these are about the only mountains in view of the hike. Thinking grind or mill step forward side and Tig in 4140? Rough to close internal and then finish with chamber reamer for "the fit" of chamber ID and step. Will be using only rimmed cartridges so the rimless issues with this design will not be present. Ejector-Extractor thing really not an issue, can go to extractor anytime but a little tough to go back to ejector. Thoughts?

I will be following this closely as I am accumulating parts for a 357 mag stub project and my donor 410 barrel is missing the ejector/extractor.

It is a rather simple mill-job. If you can find material of the right thickness, it could even be made with just a hacksaw and a file.
    Finishing with a chamber reamer is a good solution, but you can easily file it to a prefect fit - not that a perfect fit is needed; unlike balloon-head cases (.22LR - 22WMR) normal cases will not expand in head area.
    Cap'n Morgan

My Topper 44-40 uses a standard .410 ejector;
    On my Topper .218 Bee, I got a local welder to build up a 20 gauge ejector- and I ground/ filed it to shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I built an ejector for my dad's 16 ga H&R shotgun.
    It was simple and done mostly with a file and hack saw.
    I think I did have to gas weld the plate to the shaft.
    But that was simple.

The last time I looked Gun Parts Corp / Numrich , had ejectors for the 22 Hornet in stock . The last time I bought some they were $ 11 - $ 12 ea. They are tall enough to recut for most any rimmed cartridge. They and hardened so you need to anneal the end that you want to cut.
    One way I have modified a ejector that was from a shotgun and already to big was to turn a round piece on the lathe like a thick washer that is the OD of the shotshell with a rim that will fit the ejector.
    Then say I am going to use it for a 44 mag. I would bore the center hole to about .003-.005 larger than the case head then make a rim cut the proper size so that cartridge fits flush or a few thousands below flush. Then cut it off the same thickness that the ejector is and silver solder it to the ejector.
    Then cut off to width of the ejector and file the sides to fit.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 05-28-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    We TIG welded a 223 extractor that was broken, in order to get a a handi-rifle working.
    No one had a new one, in stock, so we didnt have may options.
    The owner had been shooting some kind of foreign made corrosive ammo in it.
    I cleaned and polished the chamber the best that I could, and told him to throw that cheap crap away.
    We shot a box of my reloads through it, before I sent it home with him. So far so good.

PM inbound.

L to R - 12ga, 20 ga, 22 Hornet, and a cut on one….
    Note that the .22 Hornet ejector has a narrower upright portion.
    If I find one more donor Topper, I think that a 45-70 would round out my little collection neatly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk