RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn casting with 45acp or 9mm?

Boolit Master

Learn casting with 45acp or 9mm?

Any reason to pick one over the other to teach a new guy?

Not really.

I started with .45ACP because that's what I had to shoot 'em in.

Which ever one you go to, I'd encourage using a taper crimp die and not the roll crimp feature
    most dies include. I seat and crimp on separate steps.

Also, depending on if you lube or powder coat-
    watch for lube accumulating in the seater die. It will throw off your OAL if it cakes up in it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-27-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I'd just go after the one you shoot the most. Or the one that would save you the most money and allow you to shoot it more.

45 is such a big fat bullet that it's an easy cast and easy cartridge to load for.

I read about all the 9mm troubles and how picky they can be with cast. Being relatively new to 9mm for the last years or so I was a little apprehensive but in 3 guns and 3 different cast bullets they all worked great and it turned out to be just as easy as 45acp for me.

Boolit Master
    Just from the learning to cast aspect, the big fat 45 cal might be easier. But for just getting started reloading cast bullets in the semi auto pistols, one might progress better after studying this thread. Sort of an odd topic for the number of posts and time on the forum.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-in-a-new-9mm

Coincidence, I guess that this thread was located just under the one about loading .38 Spec. wadcutters. For me, and my generation of shooters, if you were to become a boolit caster that was the place to start. .38 wadcutters were/are easy to cast and can be done so in great quantity-- necessary if you were a target shooter. I've got a iron 8 cavity mold stampted "RCPD"(Redwood City Police Dept.)(CA) that will satisfy the quantity requirement. It has cast a vast number of boolits and is still in great condition. There's still nothing wrong with the .38 Special for casting and shooting fun.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

I cast for both 45 ACP, and 9mm. I started with a Lyman 225 gr. RN mold for the 45 and I started getting good performance right off the bat. I believe the 45 ACP round is more forgiving, easier. I started reloading for 9mm with a Lee 125 gr. RF. It took a while to find a combination of size, lube, powder, etc. to get a clean shooting load for 2, 9mm pistols. I got good bullets for both, but good performance was attained much quicker with the 45 ACP. (Fat and slow vs light and fast?). As for the casting, there isn't a lot of difference between the two.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Out of 56 moulds the one I like best to cast with is a 6 cavity Lee 200 SWC for 45 ACP. Big bullets are just so easy to cast.

Moderator Emeritus

If your just learning to cast there is no difference. If you're shooting them too, as a new reloader to cast, then the 9 with it's higher pressure is a 3rd year college class. The 45 is a first year shop class in middle school.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, to clarify this is just about casting and not reloading, plenty of that experience with both cast and jacketed. I was thinking 45 because it’s easier to keep the mold at temp when going slow.

38spcl WC is also a great idea, but I don’t think I have a mold. I know, I'm showing my, young relative to this group, age.

Boolit Master

Please remember casting can become addictive

Boolit Grand Master

While i wont recommend one over the other, They both cast well in good moulds. What I do recommend is which ever mould you start with stay with it and what it takes to make good bullets then switch to the other. Once you get the basics down heat cadence prep and set up then the next will be easier to run, and the next and the next and the next.

Boolit Master

I would start with the 45.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Super Moderator

The 45ACP is probably the most easy pistol caliber to cast and load for. The 38 Special is a close second.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The 45ACP is probably the most easy pistol caliber to cast and load for. The 38 Special is a close second.
    I'll reverse that statement and call 38 spl first and the 45 ACP/Rim second. I hate to load 9 MM.

Boolit Master
    I would start with the 45-230-RN from RCBS. I have an NOE version of that H&G 34 clone. The round nose fills out easy and the sharp edge at the end of the driving band is a good indicator for proper fill out. I say RCBS because I like iron.

Boolit Master
    45 acp,230 gr round nose and any number of pistol/shotgun powders. If shooting a revolver add 35 Auto Rim to the list.

Boolit Master
    Round nose, round lube groove, single lube groove, plain base make for easier mold release. Less frustration for the student.

Iron molds over Lee is first choice. Lyman, RCBS, Saeco. 9 or 45, no difference casting.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...g-bullets.310/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Coincidence, I guess that this thread was located just under the one about loading .38 Spec. wadcutters. For me, and my generation of shooters, if you were to become a boolit caster that was the place to start. .38 wadcutters were/are easy to cast and can be done so in great quantity-- necessary if you were a target shooter. I've got a iron 8 cavity mold stampted "RCPD"(Redwood City Police Dept.)(CA) that will satisfy the quantity requirement. It has cast a vast number of boolits and is still in great condition. There's still nothing wrong with the .38 Special for casting and shooting fun.

DG
    I sooooooo agree!!!

Boolit Master

As far as pouring the bullets goes, I don't really think so. More heat goes into a .45 mold with each pour, but since every mold has its own pacing you need to learn, that aspect is probably a coin toss.

As far as loading, the 9mm throws more problematic curve balls (which this forum has the stickied threads providing instruction on how to address). If your student is the sort to get scared off by minutiae, start with .45. Otherwise, the 9mm may have more to teach.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast