WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dad died; here are his pistols...

Boolit Master
    Condolences on your loss, Sir.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Sorry for your loss.

Boolit Master

So sorry for your loss…
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Vendor Sponsor

Is your father Darrel? Or am I confused?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    My condolences on your loss. Check the serial number on the 22, if a J prefix it is the Mod 34 and should be stamped under the yoke. An M18 will have a K prefix and a model number as well. Older guns did not have model numbers but the J or K prefix is the giveaway.

I would say any / all of those ought to be very reliable. My Kimber 1911 is as reliable as death and taxes. The Ruger 22 is likely the least valuable, a dealer would probably offer $300 for it. The dealer would then try to sell it for $500. The Smith Model 29 is probably most valuable. A dealer would offer you $1200 and then turn around and mark it for sale at $1650.

Cast Boolits Owner

Sorry for your loss.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Sorry to hear about your father. My father-in-law, rest his soul, was not much for empathy but was really oriented on duty. I suspect your dad was the same. My FIL also a Marine, WWII vet.

Really nice collection. Some are almost too nice to shoot.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Is your father Darrel? Or am I confused?
    Yes.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for the loss of your father.
    I can't tell from the picture if your S&W 22 is a J frame or a K frame. If you open the cylinder it should be stamped on the frame. Either the 34 4" or the 18 4" are wonderful shooters. S&W revolvers are at a high right now, though the advice if you think the price is high is to consider that you might just have bought early. Either of the models mentioned might be listed on an internet auction sight for $800-$1000. They had a practice of being built with tight chambers and ejection was difficult on some guns. The permanent fix was to ream the cylinder the temporary was to shoot it and brush often.
    I think the Mark II may be the best of the Ruger autoloaders. If I were to sell the ruger, I would pull the scope and mounts and sell them separate. I was the only bidder on one with a red dot a few years ago. It had 5 mags and sold for $100 less than those with iron sights. New irons cost me $45 shipped. Be sure to plug the holes with plug screws.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The hammer and the grips look like those of a J-frame to me.

Boolit Master
    I am sorry for your loss.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sorry for the loss of your father. That S&W 22 looks like a J frame to me, and probably worth alot more than the more common K-22. I would really research it before putting a price on it. Of course, it's such a nice little gun that you may want to keep it. The new S&W equivalent is going to set you back close to a grand if you can even find one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Another one sending condolences your way, prayers to you and family members.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sorry for the loss of your father. That S&W 22 looks like a J frame to me, and probably worth alot more than the more common K-22. I would really research it before putting a price on it. Of course, it's such a nice little gun that you may want to keep it. The new S&W equivalent is going to set you back close to a grand if you can even find one.
    I'm definitely keeping it. I love the old Smiths but could never justify spending the money for one. Now I have two and can't wait to find time to shoot them.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I'm definitely keeping it. I love the old Smiths but could never justify spending the money for one. Now I have two and can't wait to find time to shoot them.
    They are sweet little guns. Sometimes there is a learning curve because they can be muzzle light. Also,depending on your hand size., the grips can be skimpy. Mine wears pacmyers. Well worth the effort to get to know the little guy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Excellent choice!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12