RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22's and Early Squirrel Season

Boolit Master

22's and Early Squirrel Season

Headed south to KY on Sunday with the oldest. We toted the 22's, one a fine little Ruger 77/22 of about 1986 vintage with the original 4X scope that my son used. I slung the Marlin Model 81DL that was a fun rehab project over the last winter with the goal of falling a grey with the open sights on the nearly 80 year old rifle. I wrote about this project earlier this year in the Gunsmithing forum of this board. It isn't stunning, but quite gratifying to have in working condition after being stored for decades in an old blanket by the former owner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Side on Quilt.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	314370

After setting up camp we eased up the trail to make use of our rifles in the tall trees that make up the canopy of the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest. The Son became aggravated after missing two shots in a row, but after I assured him that if he holds the crosshairs dead on success will soon follow. He followed this advise and proceeded to anchor the next grey he spotted. Then, as he was slipping on toward another squirrel I eased up the trail another 50 or so yards to scan the branches between all the leaves. Not long my presence was too much for a particular bushytail. It just had to fuss at me as it descended down a trunk not too far to the west. Stopping in the only small open space between the foliage long enough to acquire the sight picture necessary the old Marlin cracked out a vintage W Super Speed 22LR HP accurately. Instantly the creature fell to the forest floor with a satisfying thump. Moments later the Ruger in my son's hands did the same behind me, with the telltale sodden impact sound that only dead squirrels make when hitting the soft earth.

Back at camp that evening we (I) skinned them, wrapped the carcasses in a bag and placed them on ice in the cooler, fully expecting the next couple days would produce plenty more to store beside these three. That wasn't to be. This was the quietest squirrel hunt we've ever experienced, only sighting 3 more at a distance and hearing three more bark off deep in the woods. We packed up a day early and drove back to SW Ohio to at least feel productive in our normal daily routines. But in all reality, it wasn't about the squirrels as much as the experience together and the small getaway. The plus was that I was successful in potting this one small game animal with an old 22 that has a neat little action, though finicky in its function. But, I am getting a tad older, too, and willing to finesse the bolt to keep an old piece of American firearms history in the field, or in this case, the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camp Is Pitched Resized.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

Good story and you got to spend time with your son and got to use your reclamation project. Sounds like a great time to me.
    Ron

Boolit Master

A great way to spend time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Done similar myself, when my wfe's bother passed, examination of his closet turned up an old Win 60 he had as a boy. Researched it, as to years of manufacture, finish of the metal and wood. Did a full up restoration, just because. Suprised that Win in the 20s put so much into a little single shot 22 rifle, like rust blue and a Win red stain with oil finish and a hand rubbed lacquer coat.

I took it to the show in Birmingham, to show a 82+year old friend, shooter and show travel companion from AL. He looked and said, that is my first rifle, as a boy. That was worth the effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0414.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    "Did a full up restoration, just because."

Completely understand that sentiment. Good to hear of your satisfaction in a project well done. Because prompted me to undertake this project as well. That, and the fact that this interesting action allows Shorts, Longs and Lond Rifle rounds to be fed interchangeably. I cannot ram feed the rounds thoughtlessly, but with a mature touch it is enjoyable to shoot the various size cartridges from a mix loaded tube. If I would have had some 22 HP Shorts in my stash the would have been employed.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the leaves on, fox squirrels will make you good shot. Grey squirrels will make you a significantly faster shot, they seem more active to me.

I believe I like to hunt squirrels more than deer. It is certainly less work getting them ready for the skillet.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I believe I like to hunt squirrels more than deer. It is certainly less work getting them ready for the skillet.
    Robert
    Yeah.
    When a deer hits the ground--- the fun is pretty much over, and the work starts.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    Simply an amazing and wonderful way to spend time with your son.

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like alot of fun. I use a c/z 452 and a ruger number 3, .223 with 4 grs of green dot and that lyman 44 grain mold. I can shoot the ruger cheaper than cci 22 subsonics. I bought a bunch of primers 4 or 5 years ago from a shop going out of business. It will take me a long time to use them up with that single shot. Thanks for the post, I have to get ready for season here, it starts Aug 1st.......................Curdog

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Where does squirrel season open so early? Ours doesn’t open till September.

Boolit Bub
    Great story!!! Super cool.

Missouri just opened on the 27th. Doesn’t close until Feb!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    We have a spring season in Kentucky from May 20th till June 16th. Then fall season opens in August.

Boolit Master
    My 7 day NR tag was running out quick so I invited a friend along to one of the small WMA's in Northern Kentucky last Saturday afternoon. This time I took the Ruger 77/22. New country, not sure what we would find and a 4X scope makes it nice. As I was busy check something distracting elsewhere she said, "There's a squirrel." Good eye, as one was laying flat on a limb just off to our left. The young fox squirrel tumbled nicely with a headshot.
    A little further on down the hill a couple caught our eyes. While one took to hiding behind a walnut trunk the other stopped to stare a tad too long in the fork of a small tree. That was a deadly gaze, on its part, as it was soon dispatched with another 22 lead HP through the noggin. A grey squirrel this time.
    A few more were seen, but no other shots presented themselves. Both of the two could have been felled with the open sighted Marlin, but that little Ruger is such a sweet little 22 so it would have been a win/win either way. Skinned and dressed them out before leaving that evening. They both gave up their hides much easier than those tough little greys in Southern KY. They will make up a good gravy before too long. I've been using an aluminum skinner that holds the legs, then the tail, even the head so all the work is at chin level. Very handy and much better than the slit across the back that Dad taught us many years ago.

That will probably wrap up any more Squirrel hunting until this Fall. I've taken a couple decades off from hunting them until last June when the Son and I went for something different to do. Dropped a couple this past winter near home, too. This has given me an appreciation for the venerable 22LR once again.

Boolit Buddy
    Used to love trekking the hardwoods with a 22. I miss that.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I had my own experience with a Marlin tube fed bolt action .22 rifle. Very accurate and “Hinky” in operation as you say.
    Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
    Our county has no closed season no bag limit on Squirrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I often shoot them all year round out of my kitchen window. I just want them gone. CZ452 with .22 CCI segmented quiet ammo.
    I believe I have found a safe way to poison them.

I just bought a couple of 22’s for $50 for the pair. A Sears T3 in good shape and a really ruff shape 1974 coast to cast Marlin 42(70). Was told they found it in laying the woods on their property decades ago. Just put my final coat of tru oil on the stock. Can see where I repaired the cracks but smooth gloss over it. Good enough. I’ll re blue the barrel tomorrow. Got most the pitting and rust scaring out of the barrel but no where near smooth and perfect. Just need to find a magazine for it now.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-31-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a couple of 22’s for $50 for the pair. A Sears T3 in good shape and a really ruff shape 1974 coast to cast Marlin 42(70). Was told they found it in laying the woods on their property decades ago. Just put my final coat of tru oil on the stock. Can see where I repaired the cracks but smooth gloss over it. Good enough. I’ll re blue the barrel tomorrow. Got most the pitting and rust scaring out of the barrel but no where near smooth and perfect. Just need to find a magazine for it now.

Excellent 3B's. That'll shape up to be a fun project to have complete. I once had a Glenfield Model 60 (IIRC). This stock looks very similar to that one. The Marlin 81DL I restored was pitted on the exterior but the bore cleaned up very well. I'm guessing the wax lubrication on the bullets coated it well enough for the conditions it was stored in wrapped in a blanket on a slab floor behind a gentleman's couch. Hopefully yours will shoot accurately to find a soft spot in your shooting repertoire. And take some squirrels.

Yes, there was alot of rust and pitting. I sanded it. I knew I was never going to get all the deep pits and rust scaring out unless I wanted the surface to look like a roller coaster. It turned out way better than expected with a couple dozen coats of Oxpho blue. The inside of the barrel was not rusty. The wax from the bullets as you mentioned must have sealed up the rifling. I picked upma can of low gloss black engine paint. I'll sand and paint the receiver and front sight later this week.

Not perfect but will make a great shooter as long as it functions and is accurate. The magazine is missing so I'll have to locate one.

Here's a photo of before. You really can see the rust covered barrel and hardware...

Think I've decided on a metal 10 round magaine. Looks like they made a 7 a d 10 round metal magazine back in the day. Also magpul makes a 25 round banana and 70 round drum. Just want a shorter and reliable factory metal magazine for hunting. The gun was super ruff. It was a good challenge. I worked on the stock on and off during my spring turkey seasons. Still can't belive the rifling was clean and rust free! I got lucky. Hopefully it's a shooter. Looks to be made in 74'. Four years newer than my 100th anniversary 336 chambered in 35 Rem. That coast to coast model 42 (70) looks alot like a 10/22 on the outside minus the magazine configuration.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-05-2023 at 08:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yes, that Oxpho Blue is impressive on how it can give such a deep bluing to a barrel and steel receiver. Used it on my project, as well. I thought about using the osculating sander on my barrel, as I've done in the past on other rehabs, but decided to dip barrel and receiver into a tube of Pur15 rust remover instead. Very pleased how that cleaned away all the rust and old bluing. Sanding would have removed the factory lettering because it was so faint, thus the bath in the liquid.
    Hope you can fire many accurate shots out of that ol semiauto you are spiffing up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast