RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Most promising projectile?

Most promising projectile?

I recently brought home a 54 caliber full-stock - 27" barrel, seven-groove rifling. When I get the time I'll post pictures and hope that someone can enlighten me as to its likely origin..

In the meantime, I'm wondering what, if anything, is going to shoot well in that bore and rifling? Patched round ball, minnie???? Instead of being square cut, the grooves appear at the muzzle to be rounded.

If I did the old turns of a patched-ramrod trick correctly, the twist rate is something on the order of 1:96.

The very well maintained condition of bore, drum and nipple (musket) suggest to me that a previous owner was a serious shooter. Of what, I don't have a clue.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 05-25-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    The main thing you need to know is the rifling Twist and actual bore and groove depth.
    I sometimes make a casting of the bore with a plug of epoxy.
    I can do that at the muzzle end of the barrel , without having to pull the breech plug.

Boolit Master
    Slow twist generally does better with patched ball. Tighter twists work better on long bullets.

I like to shoot patched ball so I stick with 1-66" or slower - but I had a 1-48" that shot pretty well with PRB.

Boolit Master

I would try a round ball and something like the Lyman 533476 and go from there.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I am a round ball shooter so partial to .530 or .535 ball depending on the rifle’s likes. Always amazing how the amount of powder, ball choice and patch thickness makes a significant difference in performance. For me that’s the fun of PB figuring what makes it shoot best. Never messed with Minnie’s and sabots. Look forward to seeing your rifle.

Just edited my post to add twist rate, which appears to be about 1:96. If I've done this correctly, that means whatever goes out the barrel is not even getting a half turn.. Can that do anything to stabilize the ball?

Boolit Master
    The 1:96 seems a little slow but it would be far better than a smooth bore.
    It should shoot the round balls well.
    Now how deep are your grooves.
    That will help you decide on the thickness of your patch.
    And how tight it needs to be in the barrel.
    I like slow twist with deep grooves.
    I have had Hoyt re do some barrels and deepen the grooves by doing what he calls Refreshing the rifling.

Boolit Master
    I once saw an antique Hawken of approximately .63 caliber that had 1-120" twist. The owner said it was typically loaded with over 100 grs of powder and patched ball. He was of the opinion that it would have been used on big game, like elk or bison or bear.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The 1:96 seems a little slow but it would be far better than a smooth bore.
    It should shoot the round balls well.
    Now how deep are your grooves.
    That will help you decide on the thickness of your patch.
    And how tight it needs to be in the barrel.
    I like slow twist with deep grooves.
    I have had Hoyt re do some barrels and deepen the grooves by doing what he calls Refreshing the rifling.
    I like slow twist - dont like deep rifling - I reckon CVA had it perfect (8 thou?) - Green Mountain too deep (12 thou +)

1:96 twist ? stoke it! --- it should do well with hefty charges.

Boolit Master
    The British gunmakers would often use a very slow twist for the express rifles. 1/120 or slower, patched round ball and 100+ grains of sporting grade black powder allowed them a relatively flat trajectory. The idea being to allow the hunter to extend his range.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You will need to use a heavy charge of powder behind a patched round ball. I had a .62 barrel made, with 1-120" twist. It took 180 gr. 2ff to make it shoot well. I would bet you will be in the 120-130 gr. range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You will need to use a heavy charge of powder behind a patched round ball. I had a .62 barrel made, with 1-120" twist. It took 180 gr. 2ff to make it shoot well. I would bet you will be in the 120-130 gr. range.
    Ohhhh! My shoulder! I will shoot t once though.

Boolit Master
    If you only try to shoot that 180 gr load only Once.
    How are you going to see if it Groups well.

Boolit Buddy
    Apparently no one here has shot a muzzleloader like this.
    My deer rifle is a 50 caliber flintlock with a 1 in 95 inch twist, round bottom rifling. 75 grains of 3F with a patched (not very tight) .490 round ball gives 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
    Plenty good for deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    Apparently no one here has shot a muzzleloader like this.
    My deer rifle is a 50 caliber flintlock with a 1 in 95 inch twist, round bottom rifling. 75 grains of 3F with a patched (not very tight) .490 round ball gives 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
    Plenty good for deer.
    The twist I mentioned is capable of that group at double the distance. That was/is the purpose of the Express Rifle.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The twist I mentioned is capable of that group at double the distance. That was/is the purpose of the Express Rifle.

Kevin
    I thought the "Express Rifle" was for when things got up close and personal ?

Slow twist for heavy (round ball) loads has always been accepted logic. Some slow barrels do take a substantial charge to get best accuracy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I thought the "Express Rifle" was for when things got up close and personal ?

Slow twist for heavy (round ball) loads has always been accepted logic. Some slow barrels do take a substantial charge to get best accuracy
    The express cartridge or muzzle loading rifles, single or double barreled, were a light for caliber bullet (in this case round ball) at higher than usual velocities to flatten the trajectory. Useful for close to long range.

Dangerous game rifles were heavy for caliber bullets at normal velocity. Used close up to closer.

Kevin

Please see my new thread, "What Is It?" for photos.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The express cartridge or muzzle loading rifles, single or double barreled, were a light for caliber bullet (in this case round ball) at higher than usual velocities to flatten the trajectory. Useful for close to long range.

Dangerous game rifles were heavy for caliber bullets at normal velocity. Used close up to closer.

Kevin
    both definitions been applied about equally
    express calibre ---a la winchester - 50/110 express etc - yes light for calibre boolit
    express rifle ---in african parlance gets you a heavy calibre dangerous game gun - a double rifle for up close and personal - no intent at long range here !