Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
PBcastco Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pietta vs Uberti 1860

Boolit Buddy

Pietta vs Uberti 1860

What is the difference, quality differences between the Pietta and Uberti made colt 1860 Cap and Ball revolvers, ie good and bad of each make ect

Boolit Master
    This is just my own impression, from a very limited sample.

Pietta seemed to have made a rather shaky start on a rather ambitious production program. They started out making replicas of not only the old standards (1849s and 1851 Navies, 1858 Remingtons, 1860 Armies) but also Starr single- and double-actions, Remington Pocket Pistols, Root models, etc. Quality of some of the early examples was somewhat lacking. They could be somewhat of a “kit” or “project” before they worked as well as an Uberti.

On the other hand, the Uberti examples I fired were all sold by Navy Arms, which maintained the highest quality standards, at least in the old days. They highgraded the Brescia production output, leaving the rest for CVA, Century Arms, and Replica Arms to pick over in their turn, and eventually the leftovers went to those No-Name-O Arms companies with the occasional one-inch ads in the back of the gun mags. With the prices going down in proportion.

Recent Pietta issues I’ve played with seem to be very satisfactory, quality-wise. Now Navy Arms seems to be marketing both brands.

Boolit Master
    I have both and I can tell you Pietta has spot on arbors, which is one of the hardest things to correct. My Uberti is about 1/4" too short.

Both will need some work but I will only buy Pietta Colt replicas from this point forward.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I have both and I can tell you Pietta has spot on arbors, which is one of the hardest things to correct. My Uberti is about 1/4" too short.

Both will need some work but I will only buy Pietta Colt replicas from this point forward.
    Same here. Ubertis might have nicer finishes, but the piettas take less work.

Boolit Master
    I agree with SSS and Thunder my last uberti a 49 pocket model wouldn't even fire because the hammer slot in the frame wasn't cut deep enough but my last 3 pietta's a 51 navy, 60 army and a 58 remington were as accurate as any modern revolver without anything being done to them other than smoothing up the internal parts and any brand is going to need that done. With a .454" diameter ball that 60 would keep 6 shots in a 4" circle at 50 yards till you got bored doing it.

Boolit Master
    but they are just ugly compared to a Uberti

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    but they are just ugly compared to a Uberti
    If you want to put it in a presentation box on a shelf, uberti all day.

Boolit Master
    Duelist1954 put out a video on 1860 Armies today on utube, you might like the information he put forth

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Duelist1954 put out a video on 1860 Armies today on utube, you might like the information he put forth
    He also did an accuracy comparison on a pietta vs a Uberti with conical and round ball. I was surprised by the results.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I can see some of you folks are Pietta fans. Even though their arbors are (for the most part) correct, they're a little on the "generous " side for endshake . . . but that's easy to take care of. Actually, correcting the arbor on Uberti's ( or all the others) is an easy exercise. I like .0025" to .003" for cap guns, .002" to .0025" for smokeless cartridges.

As far as parts go, Uberti's are the best ever put in a SA whereas Pietta's are modern manufactured '70's/'80's style parts . . .

Mike
    Last edited by 45 Dragoon; 05-26-2023 at 05:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Uberti as you know has the arbor problem, an easy fix as mentioned by 45 Dragoon. Internal parts are well made and finished for the most part. Uberti starts to tune their stuff and then stops half way through. Pietta has some interesting issues as well. I have had several through my shop that had a narrow arbor slot, this was stopping the wedge from pulling the barrel and frame together properly. I have noticed that new production Pietta parts are very hard. I believe this is part of the MIM process and high carbon steel being used. Both brands can stand work right out of the box. Quite a few have timing issues but are shootable out of the box. Best thing is to correct any problems before sending a lot of shots down range.

Boolit Buddy
    It's an easy fix if you have the equipment.

Jackrabbit knows what he's talking about - he worked my Uberti 1860.

Now the one BP replica I have that he examined and said was right from the get go is my Uberti New Model Army - THAT one is a dream to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    If you want to put it in a presentation box on a shelf, uberti all day.
    if your a cheapskate on guvment assistance... Pie-eater all day!

I bought a new Pietta last fall from midway. It’s a pretty darn nice pistol. It’s accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    Pietta 1860’s sorta look like an original 1860 Colt. If you squint at it from 30 feet… Uberti are much closer dimensionally including the critical dimensions of chamber/bore, as well as the fit and finish, and, as noted by the tuners among us, the internal parts are better out of the box.

Bent Ramrod said: "This is just my own impression, from a very limited sample.

Pietta seemed to have made a rather shaky start on a rather ambitious production program. They started out making replicas of not only the old standards (1849s and 1851 Navies, 1858 Remingtons, 1860 Armies) but also Starr single- and double-actions, Remington Pocket Pistols, Root models, etc. Quality of some of the early examples was somewhat lacking. They could be somewhat of a “kit” or “project” before they worked as well as an Uberti.

On the other hand, the Uberti examples I fired were all sold by Navy Arms, which maintained the highest quality standards, at least in the old days. They highgraded the Brescia production output, leaving the rest for CVA, Century Arms, and Replica Arms to pick over in their turn, and eventually the leftovers went to those No-Name-O Arms companies with the occasional one-inch ads in the back of the gun mags. With the prices going down in proportion.

Recent Pietta issues I’ve played with seem to be very satisfactory, quality-wise."

My opinion exactly. I've owned about 40 C&Bs since I got serious about Cowboy Action Shooting in 1992 (my excuse for trying for the perfect match gun). Most of the ones I did not keep were earlier Piettas, Euroarms and Armi San Marcos. It's been a pleasant learning experience. I prefer historical reproductions and thus refuse to own a ROA. Otherwise I would have not have had such a pleasant journey.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I've had both Pietta and Uberti 60's. The Pietta was always hard to look at because of the barrel stamping, and I'm one of those that just likes things to be right, so it always bothered me to no end, so I sold it. No other real reason. Got a Uberti afterwards in charcoal blue. This particular Uberti ended up being more trouble than any revolver I've ever had. After a short time of having it, the front sight fell out. Fine I thought, I'll just fix it, and did. Soon after that, the arbor became loose. All normal loads. I still have it, but it's in a pile of gun parts in the shop. One day I'll get around to working on it unless someone takes it off my hands, but that did it for me and 60's. Only 2nd model Dragoons for me now and forever. Of the two 60's, the Pietta seemed to have better and more crisp action, if only it were not for that unsightly stamping. The Uberti was a wreck waiting to happen, but I may have just got the worst of the batch back then (2000-2005 thereabouts), because I've never had a single problem from any of my Uberti dragoons.
    Last edited by Jungle Dave; 09-15-2023 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Those Ubertis will serve you well if you fix the short arbor and tune them, I kinda suspect that's what happened on the 1860. Is it complete? I may be interested in taking it off your hands if the price is right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post

Now the one BP replica I have that he examined and said was right from the get go is my Uberti New Model Army - THAT one is a dream to shoot.

Uberti does make a fine Remington. The only thing I had to do to mine was ream the chambers to .4525, add Slixshot nipples and change the trigger/bolt spring to a wire spring. Pretty much the bare minimum I do to all C&B revolvers. Just for looks I stripped the grips and gave it a more natural finish. She keeps running cylinder after cylinder if you know how to lube it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast