Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning!!!

Boolit Buddy

Warning!!!

A Browning .45-70 BPCR, serial # 07544NR2B7, listed on GunBroker by Texas Guns & Ammo (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988725086) has a badly pitted bore. I very recently purchased the rifle, then returned it the next day. Upon initial inspection it was obvious the bore was badly rusted to about 8” in front of the chamber with some spotty rust further forward. I should have returned it immediately but spent a couple of hours cleaning the bore with Rem. 40X & JB Paste. At first, there was so much rust it resisted inserting a cleaning patch into the bore. After cleaning the bore & checking it with a borescope I returned the rifle due to the resulting pitting. After the rust was removed the pitting cannot be seen with the naked eye but is very obvious when viewed with a borescope. I informed the seller about the rust & pitting. He subsequently relisted the rifle & indicated it was professionally cleaned by me & the bore is fine. I feel sorry for the person that ends up buying it, figuring he/she is getting a good deal. I will guarantee, due to the significant pitting, any accuracy will fall off quickly due to bore leading & increased fouling.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Honesty; is the first Casuality these days ???

Wayne

If my name was being used in a false add like that I would go directly to Gun Broker and file a complaint.
    Not sure it would do any good, but you would be on record that you did not participate in this hoax.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Thanks for the heads up. You may have saved somebody a lot of grief.

Unbelievable the nerve of that guy!
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master
    Some of the guns I have looked at and tried to see what type of deal of agreement about the guns they just turn and say I'll sell it on gun broker. I soon learned like some auctions for farm equipment you just watch what you buy at some auctions. .....Shortly after that I stopped buying on gun broker after My Mom's credit card didn't work so I paid for gun and let her fill out the paperwork in her name same address and I still got mail etc. There turned into a mess over nothing and I stopped buying off of that over priced site. I state that the law is clear that between mom and children you can give guns away to one another. So how can it be a straw sell if I can legally turn and give her the gun, we both are allow to buy and own and pass the background check. A straw sale is someone buying for someone that is not allow to buy their own do to them not being allow to buy a firearm. I would still buy off of a person selling and not a dealer I would guess, dealer no way.

Sad that some dealers feel it necessary to mislead buyers, it may take some time but, that type always get the reputation they deserve.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    Wayne

If my name was being used in a false add like that I would go directly to Gun Broker and file a complaint.
    Not sure it would do any good, but you would be on record that you did not participate in this hoax.

Dave
    I would definitely contact Gunbroker and have that removed. The next buyer will hopefully see what you saw and YOU will probably get sued for not cleaning properly or some other garbage. Your reputation is on the line. Good luck.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I would definitely contact Gunbroker and have that removed. The next buyer will hopefully see what you saw and YOU will probably get sued for not cleaning properly or some other garbage. Your reputation is on the line. Good luck.
    Ron
    I agree with Ron. It would at least be worth a try.

Thanks for the "heads up" and best of luck getting your name cleared of this mess,

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Buddy
    They are trying to profit on your good name, and sort of are placing the blame on you. I would contact GB as well as the shop. I am not a lawyer but sort of seems like libel or slander (or some other fancy legal term I am ignorant of).

When the guy buying it finds out the deal he will blame you as much or more than the shop for that bore as they are pretty much putting that on you.

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne is probably safe from that now that he has documented the problem (everything is dated), both in the emails and here, and on other forums.
    It is very hard to find an honest dealer in anything anymore. Remember, whatever the product, it's just a commodity to them to make money from. No matter what they tell you.

Hey Guys,

Anytime you purchase something sight unseen your buying a "cat in the bag".

I once purchased a Ruger #3 in 45-70, New in the Box, Unfired on Gun Broker.
    When it arrived at my LGS, we were unable to open the action.
    So I immediately sent the seller a message as I had a three day inspection period,
    but I never heard back from the seller.
    Day 2, I let the local gunsmith look it over and sent another message to the seller,
    still no response from the seller.
    Day 3, my local gunsmith couldn't figure out what was wrong,
    so he put everything he took apart back together and put it back in the box.
    Again I sent a message to the seller with no response.
    Day 4, my local gunsmith suggested we send it off to Ruger, unfortunately we sent it in the original box.
    Again I sent the seller another message.
    This time I received a response telling me I had no right to send it to Ruger.
    I replied to him that we gave Ruger instructions to return it to him if it was anything but New in the Box.
    Apparently there was a detent stuck in the lever, they replaced it and test fired the rifle.
    Then sent it back to us in a new box with a work order stating what they did, "no charge".
    I feel I lucked out on that one, the seller wasn't going to help out at all.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1894 in 41mag in the process of getting a new barrel. Sometimes you get stuck with someone else's problem.

Moderator Emeritus

I will second that with GunBroker. I got a rifle not even in the caliber listed and could not do anything about it as I tried reaching out to the seller and it took to long. Ended up being an almost OK deal. Stupid me did a certified check back then. I will only buy with a credit card now.
    Ron
    Last edited by MrWolf; 05-27-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

I once bought a rifle on Gunbroker that also had a bad bore and a stuck brass that the head separated and a few other non original parts that were not pictured or photographed. It took many months of trying to get the seller to return it but it never happened . I had an open case with Gunbroker about this problem for several months before they had me send the gun to a “ gunsmith” that they had to inspect the rifle. At the time about 8 - 10 years ago they determined that I was correct and the rifle was not as advertised but the most they would do was refund me $ 400.00 as they said that was their limit that they would cover.
    Right now I have a dispute ongoing with Gunbroker over a sales tax issue. I lived in OH until nearly 3 years ago I moved to MI . I have sold at least 5 guns on GB since moving without issue except the last one. Now that they collect sales tax on all sales you have to collect the tax from the buyer and then GB collects the tax plus your final sales fee plus a compliance fee from your linked bank or checking account.
    They automatically deducted the amount of tax that would be appropriate for OH which is 7.75 % and state sales tax in MI is 6 % so the amount they deducted was more than what was owed.
    I have sent them 5 messages now about this since late April and have not received even 1 response !
    They have very poor customer service when you have a problem. I have tried to communicate with their bot online but it only understands certain words and is useless if you need to explain a problem that is not listed in their drop box of possible topics.
    Another thing that GB use to do was send you a email showing your listing once you had a item listed for sale and when it sold you would get another email that told you your item has sold sold but they don’t do either anymore. Either they are very short handed for human workers or they went to an all computer generated system but their service is no longer something you want to deal with.
    Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I once bought a rifle on Gunbroker that also had a bad bore and a stuck brass that the head separated and a few other non original parts that were not pictured or photographed. It took many months of trying to get the seller to return it but it never happened . I had an open case with Gunbroker about this problem for several months before they had me send the gun to a “ gunsmith” that they had to inspect the rifle. At the time about 8 - 10 years ago they determined that I was correct and the rifle was not as advertised but the most they would do was refund me $ 400.00 as they said that was their limit that they would cover.
    Right now I have a dispute ongoing with Gunbroker over a sales tax issue. I lived in OH until nearly 3 years ago I moved to MI . I have sold at least 5 guns on GB since moving without issue except the last one. Now that they collect sales tax on all sales you have to collect the tax from the buyer and then GB collects the tax plus your final sales fee plus a compliance fee from your linked bank or checking account.
    They automatically deducted the amount of tax that would be appropriate for OH which is 7.75 % and state sales tax in MI is 6 % so the amount they deducted was more than what was owed.
    I have sent them 5 messages now about this since late April and have not received even 1 response !
    They have very poor customer service when you have a problem. I have tried to communicate with their bot online but it only understands certain words and is useless if you need to explain a problem that is not listed in their drop box of possible topics.
    Another thing that GB use to do was send you a email showing your listing once you had a item listed for sale and when it sold you would get another email that told you your item has sold sold but they don’t do either anymore. Either they are very short handed for human workers or they went to an all computer generated system but their service is no longer something you want to deal with.
    Jedman
    Contact your state sale & use tax agency and file a complaint. Let them go after Gunbroker. None of these places care. In WV there is zero sales tax on ammunition, firearms, etc.. I bought ammo from one place and they charged me sales tax about two years ago. Got an oops, our system didn't update the new laws and gave me a credit. Fast forward to a few months ago and they had a great price on 10mm ammo. Went to buy it and sales tax again. Dummy me waited to contact them but by then it was out of stock. They claimed it was only my account that was messed up. When I put in a different item I was told oh it is just that item now. Told them either give me the same price on another brand or turning them in. They said nope and got turned in with copies of invoices, screens shots, etc. Warned them I was a retired CPA and they better inform their CFO what is happening. As an FYI, the CFO of any corporation is personally responsible for taxes due, or that is how it used to be. Oh well.

if the seller had called it "rust" and noted pitting can be seen with bore scope there would be no issues. with smokless and similar barrel issues I've had good luck. But..this is a a BPCR rifle and having little experience with BP in cartridges would imagine it would be easy to gunk up.
    I'd buy it for $1000
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Jedman
    When I buy something online the sales tax I pay is based on where I, the recipient, lives. In your example, was your buyer in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    Wayne

Dave

FWIW, GB will ALWAYS side with the customer who pays them a commission - the seller.

It would be helpful to know the sleaze-bag's GB user name.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Cast Boolits Owner

Once the rifle sells the buyer will be revealed. You could contact the buyer to inform them of the misrepresentation then it’s up to them.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast